Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm a second year student doing Sustainable Product Design. I'm here if you have any questions about the course but also uni in general. I've lived in Glasney Ensuite room in Penryn Campus and the Sidings in my first year so throw any questions at me and I'll try and reply asap.

See you in September!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by askandreply)
    Hi everyone,

I'm a second year student doing Sustainable Product Design. I'm here if you have any questions about the course but also uni in general. I've lived in Glasney Ensuite room in Penryn Campus and the Sidings in my first year so throw any questions at me and I'll try and reply asap.

See you in September!

I'm in the Glansly shared study bed rooms and am told we'll have 2 fridges between us all. Do people steal your food a lot?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotPastyBaker)
    I'm in the Glansly shared study bed rooms and am told we'll have 2 fridges between us all. Do people steal your food a lot?
    Hey, ermm I don't think people do. It didn't really happened in my flat much and I was in two flats for my first year. The only things that were "borrowed" were things like a bit of butter, one or two eggs and a dash of milk. Nothing too big like a whole chicken or something. Now I say "borrowed" because it's small things so I didn't really mind it and they tend to tell you afterwards since it only really happens if they ran out of it and don't have time to go to the shop. They sometimes offer to pay back with some more but I just let it pass. Chips can also be one. It has happened to me and I've done it as well. This is because of coming back from nights out and finding out I don't have any in the freezer. But most flats tend to be close together so it doesn't matter much as long as you/they offer a return.

Ps. it doesn't happen that often

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

See you in September!
    Some perhaps daft questions from me...thanks :
    How much is a taxi from Falmouth to Glasney after a night out?
    How many plug sockets are there in the ensuite rooms?
    What's the wifi quality like around Glasney / Sidings?
    Does either of those accommodation types permit mini fridges in the rooms?
    Does the Uni provide bedding & laundry of it, or do you take and wash your own?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quick_look_busy)
    Some perhaps daft questions from me...thanks :
    How much is a taxi from Falmouth to Glasney after a night out?
    How many plug sockets are there in the ensuite rooms?
    What's the wifi quality like around Glasney / Sidings?
    Does either of those accommodation types permit mini fridges in the rooms?
    Does the Uni provide bedding & laundry of it, or do you take and wash your own?

Thanks!
    Hey, So a taxi after a night out is typically around £10 to £15 tops but people tend to share taxis with your friends or other students so it'll be about £3 each if the car is full. There are a couple of plugs in the rooms like more than you could need tbh. I think theres around 4(maybe more but I can't remember) plugs on the wall by the desk and 4 by the bed. I bought an extension chord thinking I'd need it but ended up only using it for the common room when I moved to the Sidings. If you do need more plugs, you can always buy one from Asda which is a 20 minute walk from Campus but I'll doubt you'd need it unless you're bringing a ton of stuff.

The wifi in glasney is quite good like you can connect through a lot of your devices. You do have to log in every so often to it but I think if you go to the IT Help Desk in the It suite in the Library then they should be able to help you with that. Wifi in the Sidings is a different one because it is ran by a different company. They have free wifi which is do able unless you want to do intense online gaming but is okay for watching movies and general stuff. You do need to get your own router though to connect to the internet which costs around £20 and higher unless you've got one already. You can also upgrade it to a faster one and to connect more devices. Now the free one is only for 2 devices. It doesn't work like the one in Glasney because you can't connect to it everywhere in the Sidings unless you ask a friend if you can borrow their wifi. Its quite complicated but you'll be able to connect through their wifi but through your account since the devices is uploaded in the system.

Mini fridges is only available from Glasney is you need it for medical reasons. I'm not sure if the Sidings provides this on the other hand. I do however don't see why you can have a mini fridge in your room if you provide them yourself.

They don't provide the bedding unless you buy it from them before coming to uni. if you buy them, then you should arrive to your room with it there. There are a couple of laundrettes in the student village where you wash your own clothes. On the other hand, there is only one laundrette in the Sidings because it is a lot smaller than Glasney with 233 rooms. Within each laundrette, there tends to be 4 or more pairs of Washing machines and tumble dryers.

Hope this helps and good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hey, So a taxi after a night out is typically around £10 to £15 tops but people tend to share taxis with your friends or other students so it'll be about £3 each if the car is full. There are a couple of plugs in the rooms like more than you could need tbh. I think theres around 4(maybe more but I can't remember) plugs on the wall by the desk and 4 by the bed. I bought an extension chord thinking I'd need it but ended up only using it for the common room when I moved to the Sidings. If you do need more plugs, you can always buy one from Asda which is a 20 minute walk from Campus but I'll doubt you'd need it unless you're bringing a ton of stuff.

The wifi in glasney is quite good like you can connect through a lot of your devices. You do have to log in every so often to it but I think if you go to the IT Help Desk in the It suite in the Library then they should be able to help you with that. Wifi in the Sidings is a different one because it is ran by a different company. They have free wifi which is do able unless you want to do intense online gaming but is okay for watching movies and general stuff. You do need to get your own router though to connect to the internet which costs around £20 and higher unless you've got one already. You can also upgrade it to a faster one and to connect more devices. Now the free one is only for 2 devices. It doesn't work like the one in Glasney because you can't connect to it everywhere in the Sidings unless you ask a friend if you can borrow their wifi. Its quite complicated but you'll be able to connect through their wifi but through your account since the devices is uploaded in the system.

Mini fridges is only available from Glasney is you need it for medical reasons. I'm not sure if the Sidings provides this on the other hand. I do however don't see why you can have a mini fridge in your room if you provide them yourself.

They don't provide the bedding unless you buy it from them before coming to uni. if you buy them, then you should arrive to your room with it there. There are a couple of laundrettes in the student village where you wash your own clothes. On the other hand, there is only one laundrette in the Sidings because it is a lot smaller than Glasney with 233 rooms. Within each laundrette, there tends to be 4 or more pairs of Washing machines and tumble dryers.

Hope this helps and good luck
    Brilliant. Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.