Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I balance A Levels and Gaming Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm starting my A Levels in September. I will (hopefully) be studying Music, Peforming Arts and ICT. I also really enjoy gaming and really don't want to quit for two years. I have photographic memory but a bit of revision is still required (just not as much). How can I balance the two. I also watch Anime but I'm willing to quit that for a while. Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Prioritise A-levels, if you have time left over after your revision then by all means do some gaming.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Squishy Pixelz)
    Hi. I'm starting my A Levels in September. I will (hopefully) be studying Music, Peforming Arts and ICT. I also really enjoy gaming and really don't want to quit for two years. I have photographic memory but a bit of revision is still required (just not as much). How can I balance the two. I also watch Anime but I'm willing to quit that for a while. Thanks in advance
    There's no reason why you can't go to school/college, do a few hours of homework every night then a few hours of recreation with gaming or whatever else you're into. You just need to make sure your work is done first.

ReputationRep:
    You just need to be realistic. I didn't do any of those A levels and don't really know what they entail, but be honest and estimate how much effort you need to put in to be reasonably comfortable by say, christmas - lets say you have 4 modules each taking roughly 20 hours of work to get to grips with, ration that out to an hour and a half a day and do it. This works because even if your estimate is totally off, you'll still have finished a big chunk and have a better idea of the demands of the course, with enough time to finish the rest at your own (sensible) pace. You don't have to give up gaming, but I'd keep it down during the week and use it as a break between study sessions at the weekend.

ReputationRep:
    I was in exactly the same situation when i was doing my gcse's i just stopped watching anime and listed all the anime i wanted to watch during the holidays and the gaming i left that for a while but the best thing to do is to finish revision first then play because games can last so long without you realising.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly not impossible to both game & get through your A-Levels. Just ensure you prioritise your studies over gaming; you'll want to kick yourself if you don't get the career/university you want as you've spent too much time gaming.

ReputationRep:
    You're not gonna spend your entire time studying and revising, you daft bugger.

ReputationRep:
    Like everyone else said, prioritise. For uni you also have to read a lot, and you basically are given a reading list at the start of the term, and told to go and get the books and get on with it. Plus for theatre we had to watch a lot of plays, on average a play every week, plus if you are doing music you should be playing an instrument as well i dare say?

But there will still be time for games, just save that as a treat for when the work is done!

ReputationRep:
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't photographic memory not as effective with your A Level choices? I mean, they're more practical, rather than heavy text reading.

Anyways, I didn't really change anything much. Just revise after every lesson to maintain knowledge and once you've done that, go play games.

ReputationRep:
    For me to actually concentrate on my exams, I had to get rid of my PC to stop my self raiding 4-5 nights a week on WoW. I couldn't say no to my raid team and didn't like the thought of letting them down. Also, with going into Uni, I had to re-think what was more important.

I find it easier to regulate my time on console, although I play with friends - I know they'll be there tomorrow.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.