Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So,

Back in the day, when my dissertation was just a mere glimpse in my eye, my supervisor told me achieving 250 participants would be 'easy' and 'achievable'.

Skipping a few weeks... He ended up advising me to change my 10 minute questionnaire into a 25 minute questionnaire.

GUESS WHAT! Im struggling for participants, no-one wants to complete a 25 min questionnaire, whats even more annoying is I've been doing everyone else's on my course and none have them have got back to me on whether they have completed mine.

So, I approach my supervisor and ask him for help on 'advertising' and pushing for participants for my dissertation - basically his response is 'he's too busy at the moment' and to just 'crack on' trying to get participants.

Grr.

ReputationRep:
    Any advice on where to go to get some participants would be great! - any other forums etc.

My dissertation is on terrorism (Forensic Psychology)

ReputationRep:
    Does it have to be face to face or could you put an online version up?

Google forms are great for this and you can post it on Facebook and get your friends to post it on Facebook also?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryRorrzShikari)
    Does it have to be face to face or could you put an online version up?

Google forms are great for this and you can post it on Facebook and get your friends to post it on Facebook also?

No I have an online versions well as a hard-copy, I actually posted on some sub-forums on reddit and thats been really great!, seems like people are willing to help (to a degree), still not half way to where I want to be with participant numbers.

So, if anyone knows of anymore internet forums like that, that may help.

I have it on Facebook, I got about 60 responses, twitter, linkedin, TSR (here), reddit, clinpsy forum.

ReputationRep:
    Incentivise. Give them the option to submit their email address if they want to, and when you close the poll, do a random draw for, say, a £50 Amazon voucher.

ReputationRep:
    Set up a drop in session at uni with cake and drinks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Are you targeting a specific demographic or the general public? What aspect of terrorism does it relate to? Could you reduce the number of participants needed if you had more 'quality' responders?

I don't know how effective incentivising is, personally I wouldn't fill in a survey just because of the chance to win something. As a potential responder I agree 25 minutes sounds a lot of effort. Are they single/multiple choice or are you expecting detailed responses? Point and click or typing out answers?

Chase up your classmates, especially if you've been doing theirs. Family and friends if you haven't already. Have a look at the Army Rumour Service (but check which forum is best to post in). Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 10, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.