Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I study Music with stage fright Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I'm choosing A Levels in a few weeks and was wondering if I should choose A Level Music with stage fright. I did it for GCSE and got a C but I heard that A Level requires you to perform in front of people longer. Anyone else the same?

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on what your next step is educational/career wise. I have stage fright too which is why I avoided all performance subjects XD But if you really enjoy music than maybe it will something you can over come?

But if there's a subject which is more relevant to the path you wanna go down and you equally enjoy it (or even maybe a bit less if this won't bother you) then it's worth considering.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KairosityKilled)
    It all depends on what your next step is educational/career wise. I have stage fright too which is why I avoided all performance subjects XD But if you really enjoy music than maybe it will something you can over come?

But if there's a subject which is more relevant to the path you wanna go down and you equally enjoy it (or even maybe a bit less if this won't bother you) then it's worth considering.
    I don't need the performing aspect of the subject for a future career (I want to be a radio presenter) but I need the Exam related information

ReputationRep:
    I mean, if you want it, go for it.

While you're not pursuing a musical performer career, think of it like this...
    • Slash
    • Johnny Depp
    • Adele
    • Bob Dylan
    • David Bowie
    • Elvis Presley
    All of these are big names in the music industry (though Depp is better known for his movie career), and more importantly, they are (or in Bowie's and Elvis' case, they were) quite shy. In fact, Johnny Depp is battling social anxiety.

The point I'm trying to make is that you don't need to be massively confident to perform in front of people, I wouldn't let it put you off of something you want to do.

When it actually comes to performing (should you need to), this is a good mindset to be in:
    "This is my stage, and the people coming to watch me want to watch a show, they have good intentions towards me" - Rob Chapman

While that's more to do with actual gigging rather than a school practical exam, I feel like it can apply here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMcSame)
    I mean, if you want it, go for it.

While you're not pursuing a musical performer career, think of it like this...
    • Slash
    • Johnny Depp
    • Adele
    • Bob Dylan
    • David Bowie
    • Elvis Presley
    All of these are big names in the music industry (though Depp is better known for his movie career), and more importantly, they are (or in Bowie's and Elvis' case, they were) quite shy. In fact, Johnny Depp is battling social anxiety.

The point I'm trying to make is that you don't need to be massively confident to perform in front of people, I wouldn't let it put you off of something you want to do.

When it actually comes to performing (should you need to), this is a good mindset to be in:
    "This is my stage, and the people coming to watch me want to watch a show, they have good intentions towards me" - Rob Chapman

While that's more to do with actual gigging rather than a school practical exam, I feel like it can apply here.
    Thank you and your right. I will happily (and slowly but surely) take on music not only because I need a qualification in it but also because I know now that there are people that I don't know who also want people like me to achieve by giving awesome advice. Thank you and good luck with all you do.

ReputationRep:
    do it!! The performing (for edexcel) is just over 10 mins and you only have to perform to your teacher who will be holding / recording your audio. You don't even have to send off a video! Stage fright is a big thing to overcome, but the only way it gets easier is by practising it, practising the art of performing! I've just finished my a levels and am going to music college to study a performance degree and although I enjoy the end feeling of having just performed solo, I am so worried beforehand and absolutely terrified on stage!! I prefer performing in groups, and find I am much more successful at that! If you need it, you need it!!! There are thousands of professional performing musicians who struggle with stage fright, anxiety, panic attacks etc… you are not alone!! Don't let your fears hold you back!! Acknowledge them and bloody well fight them head on!!

ReputationRep:
    Of coarse you should study it. Many musicians and actors have stage fright. Gotta take risks and go for what you want in this life. No holding back.
    Go for it. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Also these types of things can be overcome. I had to learn to do public speaking. I overcame the fear and now all's great.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.