Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking about doing a dissertation in my final year (undergrad). There's a few reasons why:
    • It looks really good with employers and future law schools - it's something I can talk about in depth, especially how I was able to work independently over a long time.
    • As I mentioned here, my results were okay this year, but not great. I can still achieve a first if I do well in my final year. But if I screw up and I don't get it, I'll still have a dissertation to fall back on.
    • If I do get a first, I'll have that and a dissertation, which will be awesome.
    • I'm going abroad this year (2016-17), so I have a year longer to research and prepare for it. This also means I'll have slightly less to do in the final year, than if I was starting a subject 'from scratch' in September 2017.
    • I'll be doing something I'm really interested in, and will enjoy researching.
    But there's also a few things which worry me:
    • I'm assuming it's very hard to get a first for a dissertation. If that's the case, I basically have to get 70%+ in all my other exams for a first overall.
    • I'm planning to take another module with 15,000 words in coursework, so I'll have 30k words to write including my dissertation, in my final year (though hopefully less if I do some this year).
    • I want to make it original, but also easy enough to research. I got the balance wrong last time I did an extended essay (EPQ in AS), and had to drop out, because I couldn't get anywhere with it. If it's unoriginal, I think it'll be much harder to get a first for it.
    ---

Can anyone offer their thoughts on this?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.