The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

English, Geography, Biology and Physics involve some report writing, History.
And yes Psychology does involve report writing.
(edited 7 years ago)
R.E, Drama
I'm planning on doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography but I've been told that I need to do more essay-based subjects by my careers advisor at school and my teachers and family. Anyone got an essay-based subject related to these subjects that I could do?
Original post by ChallengeLover
I'm planning on doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Geography but I've been told that I need to do more essay-based subjects by my careers advisor at school and my teachers and family. Anyone got an essay-based subject related to these subjects that I could do?

It depends what you want to do at university. If you want to do a STEM subject, science subjects are vastly superior to essay subjects
Reply 5
I did English Language, Psychology and Classical Civilisation (Which I am now going to do at Uni) and they were all definitely essay-based subjects :smile:
Reply 6

I'm doing exact same subjects and i've never heard about doing an essay based subject at all, not even once. Do what you prefer because doing an essay subject for the sake of it may not be a good idea if you don't like that subject as much. Do what you enjoy :smile:
Original post by Mr_Elmo
I'm doing exact same subjects and i've never heard about doing an essay based subject at all, not even once. Do what you prefer because doing an essay subject for the sake of it may not be a good idea if you don't like that subject as much. Do what you enjoy :smile:

Thanx. I guess you make more sense than the other people I've talked to. Plus you have the experience of doing the subjects so..... bye bye essay subjects.
Original post by super_kawaii
It depends what you want to do at university. If you want to do a STEM subject, science subjects are vastly superior to essay subjects

What you have said is also true.
Original post by Mahfuz_A
I'm gonna start my A - levels in September. I've currently picked maths, physics, art, sociology for yr 12.

Also, is psychology an essay - based subject?

Please list a few more.

I study sociology and it's pretty good. It is definitely an essay based subject - an exam typically consists of a couple of short questions and then a 10 or 16 marker, and two 20 markers. If you've got good English GCSEs you should be fine!

I also study psychology and compared to sociology it's got way less essay writing in. The first year I only did a couple of essays max! Obviously it depends on the teacher and exam board you have, but most of the essay stuff is all in year 2 of the course, so you will have lots of experience when you do them anyway.

Obviously history will be an essay subject, and I often see business studies students writing them too.

Hope this helps! Happy to answer any more questions x

You could have a look at economics? I don't know a huge amount about it but it's related to your preferred subjects!
Reply 11

What's their reasoning here? A Level essay based subjects are not great prep for uni/work. You can learn to write well without having to study 'essay-based' subjects.
Reply 12
Psychology, sociology, English lang/lit, history, govt & politics, law, religious studies, classics, and philosophy are all essay based
Original post by bicks
What's their reasoning here? A Level essay based subjects are not great prep for uni/work. You can learn to write well without having to study 'essay-based' subjects.

It was just a simple "You need to do an essay-based subject or else it looks like you have limited skills"
Reply 14
It was just a simple "You need to do an essay-based subject or else it looks like you have limited skills"

Deary me, that is insulting xD. I am grateful that I didn't listen to my school's career service, they often had no idea what they were talking about!

I'd speak to respective uni admissions people for their opinions. Ask them well before they become busy with results day or after that period.
Just to add to what everyone else has said--> French, spanish, german.

lol shut up no they are not, they require different skills that is all.
Original post by espicton98
lol shut up no they are not, they require different skills that is all.

I'm not saying STEM subjects are better overall-I did essay subjects!*

I'm saying that STEM subjects at A Level would be better if you want to apply to a STEM degree. Likewise for essay subject A Levels if you want to do a humanities subject to degree level.

Learn to read.*
I'm not saying STEM subjects are better overall-I did essay subjects!*

I'm saying that STEM subjects at A Level would be better if you want to apply to a STEM degree. Likewise for essay subject A Levels if you want to do a humanities subject to degree level.

Learn to read.*

no your post just wasn't v clear
Reply 19
A Level Economics has a full paper which is just essay based.

Latest