Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I work 8 Hours a Week whilst at Sixth Form? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to get AAAA/AAAB in 3 Sciences and Maths. Should I work 8 Hours a week?I am in the last year of Sixth Form

ReputationRep:
    I got AAAB and worked 15h a week, more if I took overtime (and 2 grades were extremely close to A*, and I did little work).
    Plus it's great to have a reference for grad jobs.
    So yes you can.
    Try to get decent hours though, I did saturdays 6-3 and that was pretty draining for me. 8h is easy.

ReputationRep:
    It's completely up to you. Last year (at AS) I worked 2 hours every day after school doing cleaning, and then Friday and Saturday nights in a bar from 9pm-3am. This absolutely killed me and I had to drop the cleaning in order to meet my predicted grades of AAAA.

This year I carried on with the bar work and I loved it, although I had dropped a subject so I had a little more time. My work was a real break from school, I have made a lot of friends (I still work there now) and I gathered some money to afford holidays and the like. Plus, it was super flexible so that they did not rota me during exam season, but gave me 4/5 shifts a week over the summer.

Basically, it depends on you as well as the flexibility of your work place. Good luck :-)

ReputationRep:
    8 hours a week working really isn't much at all, but different people need to put in more work and revision to reach the grades they want, so really it's just using your own judgement. But the majority of people would cope easily.

It also depends on your workplace, i was able to not work in thw couple weeks leading up my exams so i could cram in more revision.

ReputationRep:
    8 hours a week should be fine, I would advise trying to do 3 subjects rather than 4 though as uni offers are always for three subjects and it's better to do 3 well than 4 and drop marks as a result

I worked 12 hours a week and got A*A*BB (plus another B in critical thinking)

ReputationRep:
    It depends on you. Also, it depends on your other commitments and time constraints you could always try it, and leave around Christmas time if the pressure gets too much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aquaxo)
    It's completely up to you. Last year (at AS) I worked 2 hours every day after school doing cleaning, and then Friday and Saturday nights in a bar from 9pm-3am. This absolutely killed me and I had to drop the cleaning in order to meet my predicted grades of AAAA.

This year I carried on with the bar work and I loved it, although I had dropped a subject so I had a little more time. My work was a real break from school, I have made a lot of friends (I still work there now) and I gathered some money to afford holidays and the like. Plus, it was super flexible so that they did not rota me during exam season, but gave me 4/5 shifts a week over the summer.

Basically, it depends on you as well as the flexibility of your work place. Good luck :-)
    I agree

ReputationRep:
    I think you should try it. If you can manage the workload, you can write about your experiences in your personal statement, if you can't you can always quit and have some money leftover from when you worked

ReputationRep:
    Try it, you can always quit if it gets too much. I usually did 6-10 hours a week, sometimes more as it depended on the week and I did fine.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.