x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Or do you prefer to jot notes
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Emilycunningham)

I study maths, and I have never brought my laptop into a lecture or used a phone to bring up current lecture notes. I have used my phone to access previous notes online if the lecturer has referenced something that I feel I need to know as soon as possible, and if notes have been provided.

My top tip to maths students would be that if notes are provided, print them out and write on them. Otherwise you're copying out things and there quickly comes a point where you're not following anything but mindlessly copying it down instead.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Not sure if you're doing Maths, hence what Sean is referring to, but for me, it does depend on which module I've got... For my accounting ones, yes I do take my laptop, because sometimes we do some work in the lecture which excel can help with... It's by no means a necessity, and just a personal preference. For everything else though, I take hand written notes. I can then either scan them, or type them up later if I feel it's necessary.

I'd say for my course (Business Finance and Economics) the vast majority don't bother with laptops at all, and just lots of pens and paper!!

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people took laptops or notebooks into lectures. I used a notebook myself. It was completely normal. These days, undergrads at my uni appear to use mobile phone apps to take notes, whilst texting and surfing.

ReputationRep:
    I used to but not much these days as i don't find it effective.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    It depends on whether or not I get the notes sent to me before the lecture. If I do, I take my laptop and I add additional notes on word. If I don't, I write and upload my notes.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    When I first started university I used pen and paper but around Christmas in my first year, I purchased an iPad Mini to take notes and it was the best decision I ever made - extremely useful!

ReputationRep:
    I never took my laptop in to lectures, i did a few times take it in to the library however. Lot's people do. Sometimes lecturers will upload the lecture slides before hand on your university intranet, but i generally preferred to just take notes in class.

ReputationRep:
    Not a student anymore but I didn't bring my laptop into lectures, it was too heavy to lug in on a regular basis so I handwrote notes.

ReputationRep:
    I always took notes by hand as I found it easier to concentrate but people did take laptops in.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    I did but it was to work on coursework for other modules

ReputationRep:
    I prefer to just write notes by hand. But most of my friends in lectures (plus seminars) use their laptops. At least a third of all the people in my lectures use a laptop.

ReputationRep:
    I use my laptop/ipad in lectures as i have very very bad handwriting
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Personally I prefer everyone to take notes.

I can't stand the noise when people just tap tap tap away, making it sound like thunder. It's ridiculous. Especially when you're trying to listen to the lecture, read what's on the PP, and remember all these, whilst scribbling everything down like your life depended on it!

I also hate those ones that bring out their new fresh Mac just to show off. You know the types; they bring it out only to use it to swap between Facebook and New Look but yet either hand write their notes or don't jot or type anything down. Ugh.

ReputationRep:
    I'm living at home, I have an iMac at home. Just for uni will an iPad be enough to take daily or will it be a pain?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I just jotted for all of last year, but judging from the pace of last year's lectures, it's as if they expect you to have a laptop in hand, so I'm thinking of changing tack this coming semester.

ReputationRep:
    I am planning to this September, but my course is practical so prob won't need it much

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.