Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Factor that had the greatest impact in the creation of modern Britain Watch

ReputationRep:
    For my transition work into History A-Level, I'm supposed to write an essay on the following question:

“Which person or event do you think had the greatest impact in the creation of modern Britain in the period 1945-2007?”

I just wanted to ask for some suggestions of factors so that I can read up on them and know where to start. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Bevan and the founding of the NHS after WW2 maybe?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aneurin_Bevan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesN88)
    Bevan and the founding of the NHS after WW2 maybe?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aneurin_Bevan
    Ah - thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The Suez crisis, maybe. I remember watching a documentary about this and apparently towards the end of this is when Britain woke up and realised we weren't an empire any more.

ReputationRep:
    Creation of the welfare state under Attlee.

Heath taking us in to the EEC.

Thatcher's time as PM especially policies on trade unions and housing.

ReputationRep:
    The decline of the British empire

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by !!mentor!!)
    The Suez crisis, maybe. I remember watching a documentary about this and apparently towards the end of this is when Britain woke up and realised we weren't an empire any more.
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Creation of the welfare state under Attlee.Heath taking us in to the EEC.Thatcher's time as PM especially policies on trade unions and housing.
    (Original post by BasicMistake)
    The decline of the British empire
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryblossoming)
    For my transition work into History A-Level, I'm supposed to write an essay on the following question:

“Which person or event do you think had the greatest impact in the creation of modern Britain in the period 1945-2007?”

I just wanted to ask for some suggestions of factors so that I can read up on them and know where to start. Thanks!
    Two books that are really good for this kind of stuff:

Andrew Marr: A History of Modern Britain
    Peter Hennessy: The Prime Minister - the Office and its Holders since 1945

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryblossoming)
    Margaret Thatcher has shaped post-World War II modern Britain the most. Thatcher’s actions, policies, and beliefs resulted in a decisive reversal of post-1945 political consensus on aspects such as Keynesianism, nationalized industry, the welfare state, and close economic regulation. Instead, Thatcher promoted privatization, which has become her enduring legacy, as well as deregulation and flexible labor markets. Her efforts in establishing an enterprise society in Britain has had lasting impacts to date, with Thatcherism being the most pertinent force to shape modern Britain since 1945

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kendrik Lamar)
    Margaret Thatcher has shaped post-World War II modern Britain the most. Thatcher’s actions, policies, and beliefs resulted in a decisive reversal of post-1945 political consensus on aspects such as Keynesianism, nationalized industry, the welfare state, and close economic regulation. Instead, Thatcher promoted privatization, which has become her enduring legacy, as well as deregulation and flexible labor markets. Her efforts in establishing an enterprise society in Britain has had lasting impacts to date, with Thatcherism being the most pertinent force to shape modern Britain since 1945
    Thanks! - will deffo look into that

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.