Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hello all,

Wonder if anyone has had the same thing before? I just feel very very sleepy throughout the day.

It's been the worst this past week but it has been bad for almost a month now. It would feel like I could fall asleep at any point, but I don't suddenly fall asleep (so not narcolepsy). I would be in a constant hazy/ fuzzy state of mind and get frequent headaches, and sometimes migraines.

And when I do sleep I would sleep way too much, I slept 14 hours the other day and I STILL felt sleepy/ tired!

It's scaring me now. (TMI) I've been getting my period twice a month for the past 3 months, and it would be very very heavy like a LOT of blood so maybe that's it but the earliest appointment I can get for a blood test is in 2 weeks and for some scan for my abdomen is in all the way in September - they said they wouldn't put me on birth control until after the results of that scan but I feel like I'm gonna die by then :lol: :cry:

I have never been anaemic before and I did a bloodtest a few months ago and my iron levels were healthy and normal as they've been all my life.

Thoughts? Advice? Should I just start taking iron pills regardless? Do you think it's the heat?

ReputationRep:
    Don't randomly start taking medication without medical advice, so no don't just start taking iron pills. Do go and see a GP asap.

When you go try to get a morning appointment and don't have any food or drink other than water for 8 hours before your appointment as your doctor might want to do a fasting blood glucose test.

Factors you should consider:

Are you getting enough to eat and drink? Low blood sugar or dehydration could both cause excessive sleepiness.

Diabetes is something that your doctor will likely consider. Are you at high risk of type 2 diabetes due to your lifestyle?

If you are getting very heavy periods twice a month anaemia might still be an issue even if you were clear a few months ago. Rather than taking iron pills you could pre-emptively start eating more iron rich foods like spinach, red meat and beans.

ReputationRep:
    Iron isn't the only cause of anaemia, so even if it was anaemia then iron tablets may not be the correct solution. Ask for a new blood test if you're concerned
    Are there any lifestyle or mood changes which have accompanied the sleepiness? Such as low mood or stress.
    Make sure you are being as healthy as you can be, and talk to your gp. They are by far the best person to inform you on this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello all,

Wonder if anyone has had the same thing before? I just feel very very sleepy throughout the day.

It's been the worst this past week but it has been bad for almost a month now. It would feel like I could fall asleep at any point, but I don't suddenly fall asleep (so not narcolepsy). I would be in a constant hazy/ fuzzy state of mind and get frequent headaches, and sometimes migraines.

And when I do sleep I would sleep way too much, I slept 14 hours the other day and I STILL felt sleepy/ tired!

It's scaring me now. (TMI) I've been getting my period twice a month for the past 3 months, and it would be very very heavy like a LOT of blood so maybe that's it but the earliest appointment I can get for a blood test is in 2 weeks and for some scan for my abdomen is in all the way in September - they said they wouldn't put me on birth control until after the results of that scan but I feel like I'm gonna die by then :lol: :cry:

I have never been anaemic before and I did a bloodtest a few months ago and my iron levels were healthy and normal as they've been all my life.

Thoughts? Advice? Should I just start taking iron pills regardless? Do you think it's the heat?
    I think best thing to do is wait for your blood test results to come in, then you can discuss things with your GP and see how to go on from there. If things get that bad you could always go to your nearest minor injury and illnesses unit, they have GPs there that you can see and they might be able to arrange a blood test or a referral quicker if they think it's something to be concerned about.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.