Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think my subjects are "Mickey Mouse"subjects.
    It's the one's i am doing for GCSE

Compulsory
    Maths
    Science
    English Lang
    English Lit

Options
    Spanish --May take onto As and A-Level
    History -- May take onto As and A-Level
    Sociology
    Drama

ReputationRep:
    You needn't worry about so called, 'Mickey mouse' subjects at GCSE level. Provided you get respectable grades in what you chose to do, no university admissions are going to turn their noses up at your subjects.

Just do what you know you'll enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, good.
    I wanted to do 3 humanities but i was advised not to so i chose drama instead.
    What did/is everyone take/taking for GCSE??

History is a really good one to take(I took it and loved it),but be prepared to write alot. As is Drama because there is alot of practical work which will give you a break from your other subjects.,Though I don't know about Sociology as I did not do it and a language is also good,though I wish my school had done Spanish,I had to do German

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean by science? Double award/separates/pauper's science (single-award)?

(Original post by InsertName)
    Oh, good.
    I wanted to do 3 humanities but i was advised not to so i chose drama instead.
    What did/is everyone take/taking for GCSE??
    I took History,Music,German, and Electronics for my options along with the compulsary subjects(English,Science,Maths,R .E).

ReputationRep:
    I want to go into law and become a barrister so i was advised to do history. Then i wanted to do spanish having got an excellent result in my end of year exams (100% Oral, 96% writing, 65% Listning and 75%reading, overall 86%) and i also wanted to do geography but was told it was too much so i chose drama and then sociology was new and i'm rubbish at music and art and german was the only other thing in the collumn and i don't do german so that was my last choice!

ReputationRep:
    I was going to do triple award but it was too much on top of two humanities so i'm doing duel award.

ReputationRep:
    For my options (3 years ago), I chose History, German, Graphic Products and Business Studies.

ReputationRep:
    our only new choice of subject that we hadn't done before was sociology so i thought i would have a go at it.
    We could do home ec but that was only cooking and nutrition, i didn't fell that overpowered to take it. But my school's all girls so they wouldn't want their 'delicate little girl' taking things such as electronics and stuff which is a bummer cos it sounds good.

ReputationRep:
    I was going to do triple award but it was too much on top of two humanities so i'm doing duel award.
    Double award is cool, it's quite a bit easier than the separate sciences.

I would do Geography instead of Sociology, but it's your call obvs.

our only new choice of subject that we hadn't done before was sociology so i thought i would have a go at it.
    We could do home ec but that was only cooking and nutrition, i didn't fell that overpowered to take it. But my school's all girls so they wouldn't want their 'delicate little girl' taking things such as electronics and stuff which is a bummer cos it sounds good.
    My school was all girls and they let us do Electronics,I heard that in my school next year there will be no electronics as not enough people chose it for options,so maybe with your school they don't think it will be popular if they offered it.

(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    Double award is cool, it's quite a bit easier than the separate sciences.

I would do Geography instead of Sociology, but it's your call obvs.
    Everyone that I know has regreted taking Geography,and most of them took History along with it so they had quite a big workload and I saw the size of their coursework folders as well.they were huge.But its your choice really,I did not take Geography because I found it tedious even though I was really good at it in the lower school years,So my advice is to take something that you enjoy you'll regret taking something you hate ,though I would also advise to take something your good at.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maz_superstar)
    Everyone that I know has regreted taking Geography,and most of them took History along with it so they had quite a big workload and I saw the size of their coursework folders as well.they were huge.But its your choice really,I did not take Geography because I found it tedious even though I was really good at it in the lower school years,So my advice is to take something that you enjoy you'll regret taking something you hate ,though I would also advise to take something your good at.
    Hehe, I have fond memories of the deadly duo too.

To be honest though - GCSE Geography is a pile of piss to most people with a logical brain.

One which I would suggest though, judging on the experiences of others, would have to be Religious Studies. The RS people did hardly any work (compared to History and Geography) and all of them went on to get A*/A.

Geography isn't that difficult at AS-level too, so that's another benefit I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I did Latin GCSE... worst mistake ever, so boring, and French, German, Triple science, food tech, geog, business studies and the compulsory 2 english and maths. It doesn't really matter what GCSEs you do though, just as long as you can get good marks in them. Your choices sound fine, though I'd replace socio with geog, it's an easy A*. Good luck

(Original post by mobbdeeprob)

One which I would suggest though, judging on the experiences of others, would have to be Religious Studies. The RS people did hardly any work (compared to History and Geography) and all of them went on to get A*/A.

Geography isn't that difficult at AS-level too, so that's another benefit I guess.
    Yeah I did the shortcorse I R.S and I found it really easy but I really liked it and Im taking it at A level in september.

ReputationRep:
    I m currently in year 10, studying optional gcse subjects as history, geography, gnvq it and german. History is quite tough and hard. We have tons of courseworks. Yeah they were rite that didnt allow to do geography, cuz geo is quite hard as well,cuz u need to remember a lot of things from key studies as statistics.Overall i fink ur choices r very good, drama is for ur creativity. Sociology is for stufying law in the future. Well done. good choices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aimée123)
    I did Latin GCSE... worst mistake ever, so boring, and French, German, Triple science, food tech, geog, business studies and the compulsory 2 english and maths. It doesn't really matter what GCSEs you do though, just as long as you can get good marks in them. Your choices sound fine, though I'd replace socio with geog, it's an easy A*. Good luck
    lol, i dont fink geo is an easy A* even though I am predicted an A*. However geo is very interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    lol, i dont fink geo is an easy A* even though I am predicted an A*.
    It is, most of it's common sense, and as long as you know a few case studies, you'll breeze it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IZZY!)
    lol, i dont fink geo is an easy A* even though I am predicted an A*.
    It's variable from person to person, but a lot of people that I know who picked up only the odd A* from their results, usually did so in Geography.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.