Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    It's variable from person to person, but a lot of people that I know who picked up only the odd A* from their results, usually did so in Geography.
    People have different strenghs in different subjects like im really good at history and not so good at biology,and my friends is brill at all the sciences and not so good at english.

ReputationRep:
    Well, R.E/R.E wasn't an option for us and we can't carry it on at GCSE.
    My head of key stage 3 nearly refused to let me do 3 humanities and no art subjects and she said she would get the head involved if i put that down so i just went for drama which i'm quite pleased with choosing after all cos i'm told i'm quite good at it cos i'm outgoing and don't mind makin a fool of myself infront of other people!!
    Has anyone done/is doing spanish? Or is that not an option for most people??

ReputationRep:
    Youre subjects art the same as mine! Histoy, Spanish and Drama, but I do Art aswell and not Sociology. They are very good, Im doin well in them, so thats all that matters 2 me! If u r good at them then theres nothin 2 worry about, dont worry about ur subjects bein mickey mouse, I hate the term. Just get high grades in them and noone can tell u nothin!

ReputationRep:
    Cool, i only know 1 more person that's doing the same subjects as me!!

What's drama like? Cos I was wondering how you take the exam, is it all written or do you also have to acually do some acting as well as a written exam?
    I'm really worried about spanish next year though because i was top of the class in my end of year exams this year even though i have been doing it for 1 year less than everyone else and next year i am having a new teacher who everyone says is a bad teacher.
    Some peope had him for french this year and they said that all their grades had gone down since he started teaching them. I really don't want him next year but i can't move into the other group because then i would have to change all my options to fit into the collumns!...

ReputationRep:
    i took:
    (COMPULSORY) =

French, double award science, maths, english lit, english language, Religious Studies

(OPTIONAL) =

graphic product (we had to do a D.T. subject), Music, Art and History

It was a good range of creative and "intellectual" subjects

ReputationRep:
    Cool, we didn't have the choice of electronics or anything like that cos we had never had any of thoses kind of lessons. In my old school we had D.T but none at my new school :-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsertName)
    Does anyone think my subjects are "Mickey Mouse"subjects.
    Your choices are fine, it doesn't really matter what you choose for GCSE, as long as you enjoy them. But why isn't the best subject of all, geography, included?
    I took French, German, ICT and Geography as my optional subjects. It was good to do two languages because i was good at them, and ICT was fun coz we just surfed the net in lesssons. Take subjects you feel you will do well in. I did best in my chosen subjects - from the above i got 3 A*s and an A.

ReputationRep:
    Well done, A*'s and A's are really good! I was going to do geography but as i said before the head was going to get involved if i did 3 humanities and also, i'm not sure if geography s useful for law?!

ReputationRep:
    wow it sounds like my school was a bit harsh! we HAD to do eng, sci, maths, a tech, an IT and at least one lang and 1 humanity.
    i did.....

English lang, Eng lit, tripple science (BIG MISTAKE! lol), maths, GNVQ ict, and food tech.
    French, german, history and music.

your choices sound great, dont worry bout wot ne one else thinks!
    good luck!
    ana xxx

ReputationRep:
    Thanks and good luck for all your exams too!!
    We were advised to do at least 1 humanity , 1 language and 1 art , that's why they got so narked when i wanted to do 3 humanities. Then we can do an I.T short course after school which hopefully i'm also going to do. Oh and i'm doing dual award. I'm not smart enough to do triple compared to others at my school!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anaïs)
    wow it sounds like my school was a bit harsh! we HAD to do eng, sci, maths, a tech, an IT and at least one lang and 1 humanity.
    i did.....

English lang, Eng lit, tripple science (BIG MISTAKE! lol), maths, GNVQ ict, and food tech.
    French, german, history and music.

your choices sound great, dont worry bout wot ne one else thinks!
    good luck!
    ana xxx
    I did triple science because i had to as i was in the top set - it was horrible: i had bad teachers and hated chemistry and physics so much, plus my biology teacher had a drunken fall and was off for most of Year 11 so we didn't get taught half of it! In the end i came out with BBB when i probably could have got AA in double science. Drat.

ReputationRep:
    I put down that i wanted to do triple at first but my physics and chemisrty teacher was so bad (i had the same guy) that my grads just went down adn down all trugh the year so when i found ot he was only teaching triple i switched to dual pronto!! I think it's better to get 2 really good GCSE's than 3 okayish one's.

And by the way BBB is really good! That's more than other people got i bet!!

ReputationRep:
    I did (compulsory)
    eng lang + lit
    sceince (double)
    maths
    (compulsory technology)
    textiles
    options:
    Geography
    History
    Music
    German

Your choices sound fine! There is quite a lot to learn for GCSE history, but basically if you memorise it all you'll get a A/A*

ReputationRep:
    I've been told that i'm quite good at history cos i'm good at memorising numbers and dates and stuff like that. I'm better at litteral subjects (english and history adn one's like that) than subjects like science!

ReputationRep:
    Geog was compulsory at our school ... I didnt think at most other places it was optional.

but thats probably cos they give a*s out in geography like sweets, when you actually have to work hard for even an a in history.

ReputationRep:
    That's quite unfair that it's easy to get A's and A*'s in geography and it's hard to get A's in history, they're both humanities so they should have the same chances!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsertName)
    That's quite unfair that it's easy to get A's and A*'s in geography and it's hard to get A's in history, they're both humanities so they should have the same chances!
    2003 results show that 7.3% got an A* in geography and 8.4% got an A* in history so

ReputationRep:
    I did...

Compulsary:

- English lang
    - English lit
    - Maths
    - Science (I did double award; triple was classed as two subjects, and meant only having one extra option)
    - Humanity (RE)
    - DT (textiles)
    - Language (French)

Optional:

- ICT
    - Art

Looking at it now, we didn't get too many options. Just go with what you enjoy, most employeers want grade C maths/english. As long as you're not thinking about taking an A-level course that requires a specific A-level, you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Oh, well i suppose people have different sources then!!
    We had 4 options!
    I think all schools do it differently, my school is independant, does that make any difference??

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering people, how respected is Art GCSE? I did Art, and it was a pain, loads of work though i did almost all of it in year 11. Some people think it looks easy and less respectable.

Of course it doesn't matter because I did a load of other good subjects like History, Design (Systems & Control) and the compulsory ones.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.