Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What do you guys think of my GCSE choices?? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefish_uk)
    Just wondering people, how respected is Art GCSE? I did Art, and it was a pain, loads of work though i did almost all of it in year 11. Some people think it looks easy and less respectable.

Of course it doesn't matter because I did a load of other good subjects like History, Design (Systems & Control) and the compulsory ones.
    Art GCSE, respectability? It's fine - tbh, nobody really cares what you do at GCSE for your options choices. I know some bloody intelligent people who did Art in my year, and it is one of the harder GCSEs as it requires a lot of work and the marking can be totally variable. I did Design at GCSE and really enjoyed it, do what you enjoy - it's the grades that matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InsertName)
    Does anyone think my subjects are "Mickey Mouse"subjects.
    It's the one's i am doing for GCSE

Compulsory
    Maths
    Science
    English Lang
    English Lit

Options
    Spanish --May take onto As and A-Level
    History -- May take onto As and A-Level
    Sociology
    Drama
    I've just done mine. Spanish sounds like a good idea, not many people seem to do it. I am going to learn it next year I hope. I did french and german and yeah, languages arereally useful and different! History is a great subject but you do need to write a lot but its not all that hard and very interesting. I don't know about the other 2 at gcse, tho all my friends seemed to enjoy drama, bu its hard work. I am about to take sociology at as. I did geography and that was really interesting. I also took a change and along with french/german/history/geography i did art and textiles. But i did more than most people so yeah, your list looks good to me!!

ReputationRep:
    I did:

Compulsory:

English Lang + Lit
    Double Science
    Maths
    RS Full Course
    French

Optional:

Music
    History
    ICT

I enjoyed History, and learnt a lot of quite interesting stuff. I also enjoyed ICT, primarily because it was very easy - there was quite a bit of coursework though, if I recall my personal project (A* grade) ended up at around 110 or so pages.

In short, History = Good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I've just got back from 2 weeks holiday! I've missed loadsa stuff!!
    I think my choices are okay now... some people in my year are doing only one language and all art subjects and other people are not doing and art sunjects at all. I hope History isn't too hard though...it seems like you have to memerise quite a lot of stuff.......
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Well, personally, I'm doing the compulsory stuff (maths, French, English (+ Lit.), science * 3) and my three options, Latin, Greek and Design/Technology. I'm thinking of carrying Physics, Latin, Maths and English (although that could all change in ten seconds flat) on for A-levels.

I don't think what you do for GCSE is important, as long as you do whatever you want to carry on for A-level, or university courses. Chemistry and biology are never going to serve any purpose for me, and neither is Greek, but I'm doing them either because I'm forced to or because I enjoy them (or... both! :eek: ) It really doesn't matter what you take, as long as you:
    - don't drop stuff that will help you
    - prove that you can learn anything well by getting good grades.

(Let me also point out that in some subjects the A grade boundary is as low as 65-75%, and A* 80-85%. So even if you don't know half your stuff you have a good chance of passing.)

As for art vs. sciences, again it doesn't matter what you pick any more. I think there used to be some sort of rule saying that you needed three art OR three science subjects for O-level or A-level or whatever, but not any more. Different professions and courses need different stuff. Some don't need any at all. (By the way, if you find out you've made a bad choice, and you have a gap year or something, it is possible to sign up as an external candidate to a school to take A-levels... assuming you learn at home, that is. I am taking an 'extra' GCSE - mostly to see if I can, but also because I like the subject - and I didn't need a great persuasion tactic to get permission.)

If you're worried about your choices your school should have a head of careers, or some person/people who deal(s) with sorting out what people want to do when they're older. Talk with them, that's what they're there for.

Phew, long post.

-Billy

ReputationRep:
    Im starting my GCSE's next month and im taking:

Geography, Double ICT, Business Studies and Graphics

+ Compulsory English, Maths And Double Award Science

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, good.
    I wanted to do 3 humanities but i was advised not to so i chose drama instead.
    What did/is everyone take/taking for GCSE??
    Your choices sound good to me. I did history and I loved it but you do have to write a lot, my hand was killnig me after the exam! (Anyone else experience the same problem?!!) Languages arent bad at all, was it spanish you are doing? I love languages and some parts of it isnt that bad, the coursework is great cuz u can pick up 25% really eaislyif you do the coursework option! I hate maths but you have no choice in that and science isnt that bad really, I did modular science though so only 50% for my final exam. Humanties are really niteresting to do and many of the gcse classes seem to end up in discussions that go completely random...well my history and geo lessons did!! Do what you enjoy and you'll be fine! My friends did drama and they loved it and they have one less exam to do at the end even tho there is a lot of work that goes into it beforehand!!

I did: English Lit and Lang, Maths, Dual Award Science, History, Geography, French, German, Art, Textiles

Results soon, ooooh how scary.

ReputationRep:
    I've just got back from 2 weeks holiday! I've missed loadsa stuff!!
    I think my choices are okay now... some people in my year are doing only one language and all art subjects and other people are not doing and art sunjects at all. I hope History isn't too hard though...it seems like you have to memerise quite a lot of stuff.......
    I wouldnt worry about history, if its similar to the one i've just done its really interesting and not that bad, just a lot of writing. I would have carried it on cuz i love modern history but a level at our school is further back and looks boring to me...so sociology for me instead

I did stats, maths, english lit and lang, double science, french, geography, business studies and history. Your subjects seem just as good to me, it doesn't matter at GCSE really, worry about the grades but not the subject at this stage.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.