Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am complety new in the British educational system. But I would like to study the A levels in order to get a career.

I think that the best opcion in my situation, is start with "numbers".

The problem, is that I have got no idea about your syllabus, could you help me? I really want to know that is the standar option to introduce me in the A levels, and which books and plubishing companies are the more recommended.

I hope you don't have any problems to understand me. English is not my first language, and I try the best to improve it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Spanishermes)
    Hello, I am complety new in the British educational system. But I would like to study the A levels in order to get a career.

The problem, is that I have got no idea about your syllabus, could you help me? I really want to know that is the standar option to introduce me in the A levels, and which books and plubishing companies are the more recommended.

I hope you don't have any problems to understand me. English is not my first language, and I try the best to improve it
    Hi,

It would be best for you start going over the higher GCSE content and ensuring you are comfortable with all of it before going into the maths A-Level. You do not need to read any particular books for the A-Levels, however any additional knowledge with tricks is welcome as long as they don't require extended knowledge beyond A-Level.

The syllabus is simple; we have 2 separate A-Levels named Mathematics and Further Mathematics. There are 19 modules in total across Maths and Further Maths, while 4 of those are only for Further Maths. You do 3 of these per A-Level, per year, with extra's being allowed if you wish to do them. Depending on what exam board you choose to do these exams for, they often have their own books for these modules therefore you can learn all the required content from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spanishermes)

I know don't that maths is definitely the right place to start but assuming it is and your existing maths knowledge is good enough then I'll try to explain.

A levels are usually studied age 16-18 and most people take 3 or 4 subjects. Universities generally require 3. There are other different qualifications available such as the IB and BTEC that are studied by a minority of 16-18 year olds.

A levels are going through a period of reform and update but not all subjects are changing at the same time. Maths is one of the last subjects to change and if you plan to complete your exams in summer 2017 or summer 2018 then you will study the current specification and not the new one.

There is more than one examiner for A levels. AQA, OCR and Edexcel/Pearson are the main ones. WJEC is used in some schools, especially in Wales and CCEA in Northern Ireland. In addition there are international A levels from both CIE and Edexcel/Pearson. Confused yet? Each of these examiners offer A level maths. You can choose which you want to take. They are all similar with small differences. Probably the best one is from Edexcel simply because more people choose that option and there are more resources easily available.

For a uk A level in maths you need to take 6 unit exams. c1,2,3&4 cover pure maths and then you need two units of applied maths. The most common chosen combination is S1 (statistics) plus M1 (mechanics).

If you decide to go with Edexcel then this range of books is your best bet
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-AS-...rds=Edexcel+c1
    You'll need a book for each of the 6 units, you can usually find used copies of them on eBay for £5-10

Maths is a huge subject. Students can achieve an extra A level, further maths, by completing 6 more units and with some examiners a third A level , additional further maths, by completing 18 unit exams.

Finally, you don't enter for exams directly with the examiner. You have to find a school, college or exam centre willing to accept you as a private candidate for the exams. You need to start your search in September to ensure you find somewhere willing to charge a reasonable fee. There is advice for private candidates on each examiners web site.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 7, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.