Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know it's a broad subject in itself but what type of jobs could you do with an IR degree? I'm thinking about changing to IR but worried about potential job prospects. By the way it would be in a top uni.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Pato1)
    I know it's a broad subject in itself but what type of jobs could you do with an IR degree? I'm thinking about changing to IR but worried about potential job prospects. By the way it would be in a top uni.
    Most jobs don't require a specific degree, so you could go into business, banking, accounting, the civil service, management, retail, NGOs, the charitable sector, museums, think tanks etc etc. What do you want to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pato1)
    As Snuffkin said there are many different opportunities, some require/prefer a Masters, some require a language, but all want want work experience and an overall strong application so don't be afraid to make use of the university careers department for help whilst it is near you.

I studied International Relations as an Undergraduate, went on to a Masters in International Public Policy and am about to begin a Policy Internship with a Membership Organisation. I've done two mini research projects with local councils and have over a years office based experience volunteering with two charities. Others from the Politics department I studied with are now at NATO (after doing a Masters), doing Events for a Think Tank, doing Auditing, working for the Civil Service to name but a few areas. So the opportunities are out there, you just need to remember the IR degree is one part of the overall package you need to offer.

ReputationRep:
    Degrees like IR and Politics are non vocational and non STEM, thus requiring extracurricular activities, volunteering and placements as a supplement.

My advice to anybody embarking upon such a degree is to have a career path in mind and seek out opportunities accordingly. Also, try and take relevant modules.

It's not too late for you. NOW is the time to start seeking out the above. You can do it even after you graduate - it just means you'll have to do a non graduate job as a stop gap for a little while. Good luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.