Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Has any one got any questions they would like to ask a locum recruiter? I want to understand and help as much as I can about student doctors needs? Don't hesitate to contact me

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    I recently failed my final year of medical school and had to withdraw from the course. I was thinking about applying to a Romanian medical school to finish my training, but I'm still very much on the fence about it since I don't know how hard it would be to come back and practice in the UK. I was hoping you might be able to answer a few questions:

1. Do you have much experience with F2 locum posts for training? How many applicants do you usually get for each vacancy, both for training and service posts?
    2. How much of a disadvantage would I be at when applying for jobs, given that I had failed from a course in the UK? I don't know if it makes much of a difference, but I failed because of my portfolio rather than exams or clinical placements.
    3. Do you expect it to become more difficult to hire European medical graduates over the next few years now that Brexit had happened?

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    It would be really helpful if you could describe the basics of your job to get an idea of what sort of questions you could answer. I'm a final year but I still don't know that much about how locums work in practice

That said, how feasible is it nowadays to be a 'career locum'? I know of people who used to do this, but people keep telling me that the system is getting ruined and locums aren't worth it any more.

Specifically I would like to spend a few years doing EM/GP locums around the country post-F2. How feasible is this? Would I need more training to earn a decent wage? Thanks for any input

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ghotay)
    It would be really helpful if you could describe the basics of your job to get an idea of what sort of questions you could answer. I'm a final year but I still don't know that much about how locums work in practice

That said, how feasible is it nowadays to be a 'career locum'? I know of people who used to do this, but people keep telling me that the system is getting ruined and locums aren't worth it any more.

Specifically I would like to spend a few years doing EM/GP locums around the country post-F2. How feasible is this? Would I need more training to earn a decent wage? Thanks for any input
    EM SHO locuming shouldn't be a problem in my (fairly limited) experience - as long as you have done an EM job in your foundation training. Can't imagine anyone would be keen to employ you as a GP locum if you're not a qualified GP - too many supervision issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    EM SHO locuming shouldn't be a problem in my (fairly limited) experience - as long as you have done an EM job in your foundation training. Can't imagine anyone would be keen to employ you as a GP locum if you're not a qualified GP - too many supervision issues.
    That's pretty much what I imagined. I'm much more keen on EM, but I figured GP might give the opportunity to go to some interesting rural places

ReputationRep:
    Can't imagine anyone would be keen to employ you as a GP locum if you're not a qualified GP - too many supervision issues.
    You need to be on the Performer's List to work as a GP so not an option if not in a training job placed there or on GP register with CCT or equivalent.

ReputationRep:
    EM SHO locuming shouldn't be a problem in my (fairly limited) experience - as long as you have done an EM job in your foundation training.
    That's the problem though - in the Oxfordshire deanery less than a third of FY jobs had A&E in them. I'm wondering how much of a barrier that's going to be for me.

Any recommendations about how to go about getting locums around Oxford Helenia (now that I've moved back! Couldn't stay away)? Any agencies with a good reputation out there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    That's the problem though - in the Oxfordshire deanery less than a third of FY jobs had A&E in them. I'm wondering how much of a barrier that's going to be for me.

Any recommendations about how to go about getting locums around Oxford Helenia (now that I've moved back! Couldn't stay away)? Any agencies with a good reputation out there?
    I know one of my friends did ED locums at RBH without having done an ED job (but had worked there so was on their payroll). Not sure about OUH - they are pretty keen on using internal locums rather than agency wherever possible. Can't help you with agencies (all my gasbod friends just do internal/bank locums) but I might know someone who knows more.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which are the best locum agencies? How does payments work?

Is £29/hour a good antisocial hour rate for an internal F1 locum?How does it get taxed?F1s can't work locums privately can they?Whats the shortest shift/length of time you employ locums?What is the range of hourly rate for different levels?

ReputationRep:
    following

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Is £29/hour a good antisocial hour rate for an internal F1 locum?How does it get taxed?F1s can't work locums privately can they?Whats the shortest shift/length of time you employ locums?What is the range of hourly rate for different levels?
    Not unreasonable rate, not amazing, IME. Depends how desperate they are (though knowing some hospitals if they can't get someone at that rate they'll just shrug their shoulders and say "Oh well, no F1 tonight" rather than up the rate.)

As an internal locum it will be paid and taxed on your normal payslip through PAYE.

You are correct that as an F1 you can't work outside your designated training hospital, let alone in the private sector.

Shortest period would usually be about 3 hours, or whatever the difference is between a normal day and a long day - so you get paid to do 5-8pm or whatever the normal timings for your hospital shifts are, on top of your normal day. These are nearly always internal rather than through an agency though.

Rates are hugely different depending on level of experience, specialty, type of shift, short notice etc.

Not unreasonable rate, not amazing, IME. Depends how desperate they are (though knowing some hospitals if they can't get someone at that rate they'll just shrug their shoulders and say "Oh well, no F1 tonight" rather than up the rate.)

As an internal locum it will be paid and taxed on your normal payslip through PAYE.

You are correct that as an F1 you can't work outside your designated training hospital, let alone in the private sector.

Shortest period would usually be about 3 hours, or whatever the difference is between a normal day and a long day - so you get paid to do 5-8pm or whatever the normal timings for your hospital shifts are, on top of your normal day. These are nearly always internal rather than through an agency though.

Rates are hugely different depending on level of experience, specialty, type of shift, short notice etc.
    I had a look at external rates for juniors and they seem to range from £30-40/45ish so £29 seems OK to me. But then again I haven't ever had a job and haven't been paid yet so £29 an hour sounds great to me but at the same time I am asking myself whether I want the money or the time off. I'll also get more experience and be hhelping patients. If it was a case if its me or no F1, well, I wouldn't even be thinking about it.
    My hosp will need an F1 as theres only one F1 covering the medical and surgical wards on call.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waleyjunior)
    Hi all,
    Has any one got any questions they would like to ask a locum recruiter? I want to understand and help as much as I can about student doctors needs? Don't hesitate to contact me
    I'd be interested to find out if you have any advice with regards to the competencies and requirements for training that have to be completed via locum jobs for graduates coming from EU medical schools. From what I hear, the 1-year Locum Appointments for Training (LAT) at FY2 level are few and far between and very very competitive. I'm not too confident I'll be able to get one of those jobs. But because I also refuse to compromise on location and I want to have the choice of where I work, I'd be happy to take short-term Locum Appointments for Service (LAS). I don't know whether or not these are being phased out under the new junior doctor contract but if they do exist, how much time theoretically does one have to practise in these jobs before they meet all the requirements for passing FY2? Does all the time you spend working in LAS positions have to add up to 1 year or can all the training requirements be met in less time than that? For example, if I manage to take up ad-hoc LAS jobs full-time within the same trust at £25 an hour (or whatever it will be for SHO level), do I still need to work in this way full-time for 1 year just like normal FY2's or will I be eligible to apply for specialty training even if I complete all the competencies within less than 1 year?

What I'm also concerned about is how doctors working in these LAS jobs actually go about taking responsibility for their own training opportunities (e.g. scheduled teaching) as these are not provided for them like full-time trainees. Are LAS doctors given their own supervisors/educational tutors for support or do they have to do everything independently? As you can imagine, I'm reluctant to sit the upcoming UK Medical Licensing exam to get a job in the UK if it means I can't move up the ladder from locum SHO work. I've heard stories about doctors getting caught in the system, unable to get the training opportunities from these service jobs, and ending up in permanent staff-grade positions because they're not allowed to apply for specialty routes without recognition of all the training they've done up to FY2 level in those LAS positions. All because they came from foreign medical schools.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 13, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.