The Student Room Group

Is Hip Hop To Blame?

Hip-hop has been making enemies for as long as it has been winning fans. It has been dismissed as noise, blamed for concert riots, accused of glorifying crime and sexism and greed and Ebonics. From Run-D.M.C. to Sister Souljah to Tupac Shakur to Young Jeezy, the story of hip hop is an interesting one .So can we blame it for increase in gun culture ?What about the movies that explicitly show gun violance all the way through action to horror movies.What about the Video games .So why is hip hop taking the rap for the downfall of society .Is it just an easy scapegoat as hip hop is always been known to rebel against the establishment .Have your say .

Scroll to see replies

It's annoyed me how some people use music to run pretty much their life. When I listen to music, I just try to appreciate the quality of the piece, rather than using it to decide what clothes I wear, what types of friends I have etc.
Reply 2
Some hip hop does glamourise violence and sexism, and it's producers can't deny that. But is this really the issue? So much of this society's other cultural output glorifies the same things and more. Nip/Tuck glorifies promiscuity, narcissism, objectification of women, and "normalises" things such as drug taking and criminal activity. Some rock music could be said to "glorify" (or do they just sing about it...?) things such as suicide, sacrilege, rebellion, and rather bad make up. The God Father movies definitely appear to glorify violence and justify the notion that "crime pays" if watched by certain people. The list can go on and on. You can't blame any single aspect of a society for everything else, and definitely not in art and culture. Much modern hip hop is so sanitized from its urban origins that I cannot take seriously the charge that it in any way "promotes" these evils (I continue to find the typical suburban middle class "thug" pretty amusing...P. Diddy for example). It associates them with glamour perhaps, but in the end, I suspect violent people will do what they do, hip hop or no hip hop. It's people without alternative avenues of cultural instruction who base their entire lives on what media says. If you're the sort of person who lives their life out of fashion magazines, that's what you'll be like; if certain music and movies are the bases for your "life philosophies" then those movies can't be blamed for it. Blame the air heads who take it all so seriously, not the music.
Reply 3
Is Hip Hop To Blame?

Yes.
(in sarcastic tone) - yeah and marilyn manson is responsible for the columbine shootings and judas priest are responsible for the the kid who committed suicide!!!
Reply 5
You, and many others who criticize Hip Hop have NO IDEA what Hip Hop is. REAL Hip Hop is not what you hear on MTV, or any national radio stations, it is not what you see on TV. All that rubbish is RAP, no HIP HOP. Rap is a commercial product, Hip Hop is an art form. Hip Hop is part of the solution, it is not the problem.

Most people who don't have a clue use their definition of Hip Hop as the reason why guns crime is in its current state. What they see as Hip Hop is a scapegoat to why all these young people carry guns. This is the easy way out, and is totally wrong.

Why don't policitions start concerning themselves with the environment these kids live in, the schools they go to, their future prospects, why they are led to a life of drugs and guns, why it is so easy to get hold of a gun etc etc rather then the music that they listen to.
AesopRock
You, and many others who criticize Hip Hop have NO IDEA what Hip Hop is. REAL Hip Hop is not what you hear on MTV, or any national radio stations, it is not what you see on TV. All that rubbish is RAP, no HIP HOP. Rap is a commercial product, Hip Hop is an art form. Hip Hop is part of the solution, it is not the problem.

Care to elaborate?
i have no idea about hip hop - so aesopRock is right
Reply 8
Peart
Care to elaborate?

:rolleyes:

Listen to real Hip Hop artists. I'll list a few even though you'll probably won't take it any further...

Taskforce
Anticon
Blackstar
Immortal technique
Lewis Parker
KRS One

You have no idea what real Hip Hop is, because you have yet to hear it.
Co-Sign Aesop.

Even though Aesop rock is ****.
. . . ur right there. Taskforce . . .Who? anticon ....Who? blackstar ...... Who?imortal technique . . .Who? and KRS One . .. who?
sorry to break it to you . . .but i've never heard any one of them!!!
AesopRock
:rolleyes:

Listen to real Hip Hop artists. I'll list a few even though you'll probably won't take it any further...

Taskforce
Anticon
Blackstar
Immortal technique
Lewis Parker
KRS One

You have no idea what real Hip Hop is, because you have yet to hear it.

Well that's just terrific, but it doesn't quite answer how hip hop is the solution to gang violence?
Reply 12
Multiplexed
Co-Sign Aesop.

Even though Aesop rock is ****.

lol.. he alright. I just like the name more then his music, hence the username. :wink:
I hadnt realised aesoprock was an artist - - i just thought u made up a username
Immortal Technique
You better watch what the **** flies outta ya mouth
Or I'ma hijack a plane and fly it into your house
Burn your apartment with your family tied to the couch
And slit your throat, so when you scream, only blood comes out
I doubt that there could ever be...a more wicked MC
'Cause AIDS infested child molesters aren't sicker than me

This man is a gentleman and a scholar, and I appologise for ever doubting that his music is a solution to gun crime.
Reply 15
Peart
This man is a gentleman and a scholar, and I appologise for ever doubting that his music is a solution to gun crime.

again.. :rolleyes:

This dude is FAR more intelligent then you will ever be sir, believe it or not.

Do not judge on face value, or you will look the fool.
AesopRock
again.. :rolleyes:

This dude is FAR more intelligent then you will ever be sir, believe it or not.

Do not judge on face value, or you will look the fool.

Well in his own words, this guy "causes more casualties than sunken slave ships", so I think looking a fool is getting off pretty lightly to be honest.

btw, how is it a solution again?
Reply 17
Peart
Well in his own words, this guy "causes more casualties than sunken slave ships", so I think looking a fool is getting off pretty lightly to be honest.

btw, how is it a solution again?

Hip Hop is a solution, because it is a way out of drugs, crime and guns. Hip Hop is a form of expression, a way of communicating, and without it gun crime would be worse. Listen to hip hop, and you will understand all this VERY clearly. I'll get you started with this one:

http://www.spannered.org/radio/271/

Oh, and make sure you actually listen to what is said in song.
I used to listen to alot of hiphop back in the day when I was a bit of a skater, alot of what you hear classed as hiphop now I wouldn't like but it's the same as modern RnB is derived from the old stuff but has taken on negative connotations.

Music isn't to blame for any of this stuff though, it's the idiots who don't have a clue that music reflects the world and isn't something you should base your life decisions on.
AesopRock
Hip Hop is a solution, because it is a way out of drugs, crime and guns. Hip Hop is a form of expression, a way of communicating, and without it gun crime would be worse. Listen to hip hop, and you will understand all this VERY clearly. I'll get you started with this one:

http://www.spannered.org/radio/271/

Oh, and make sure you actually listen to what is said in song.

Ah.. I think I'll just take your word for it.

Latest

Trending

Trending