The Student Room Group

Grammar schools to return

Scroll to see replies

Original post by niteninja1
To all the people arguing having a separate school for intelligent students is wrong. Is it wrong that "special" needs students usually go to a separate school

No because they're children that actually need more attention, and need to be separated due the risk of getting bullied by children.

That being said, most of my classmates were smart as hell, and me being a really dumb kid(even though I work so hard) really found it helpful being with smart friends. I don't believe in making schools simply for smart kids, since the other less able kids don't really benefit from getting to understand how model smart students work- especially in my case.
(edited 7 years ago)
All those people complaining that comprehensives need more money need to understand that grammar schools are also facing cuts making it difficult for grammar schools to provide the level of education they are capable of
Original post by niteninja1
To all the people arguing having a separate school for intelligent students is wrong. Is it wrong that "special" needs students usually go to a separate school

No, not at all. Because they need extra attention for medical reasons.
Original post by JohnGreek
x

You make very valid points!
Yet, the 'upgrade/downgrade' system seems pretty ridiculous (although you acknowledged this). Usually, students retake exams if they do not meet their expected grades (2 or below)- at least that's what I know of. If they under perform consistently they receive student-student or staff-student mentoring.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by lucabrasi98
Then look at countries above us in secondary education rankings and notice how their cultures all have an emphasis on grammar schools.

Discounting the fact that I didn't find any mention of grammar school systems in that article you linked, you've completely overlooked a multitude of other factors.

If this was all about adopting the system of a well educated nation then we ought to look elsewhere like China or Singapore for example. But there's a reason why replicating their system probably won't have any effect on our system, namely because academics, teachers and education in general are all looked down upon or seen as secondary in Britain whereas in Asia they are utterly revered.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by catinsomehat
No, a 2:1 that sounds good to me. It all depends on what you're going to do with it now :smile:

You would have gotten the same result if you'd gone to a grammar school though, they wouldn't have held a magic wand out and bestowed a lot of knowledge directly into your brain :biggrin:

Believe it or not but people who go to what are considered top universities tend to be bad programmers. I can attest to this and so can my current employer, just because a university is high up in the rankings doesn't mean anything. Sit them down and ask them to write a simple algorithm or to program something simple and they'll look at you like your head just spun around. What matters is people who learn and do things outside of their course to better themselves and actually learn what they need to know about what they're going to be doing afterwards (universities won't actually teach you what you need to know in the real world for most courses - it's all crap, this applies to grammar schools too, it's all about self-learning...unfortunately most people don't seem to grasp this. The people who will get ahead will get ahead anyway).

Yes, I just thought that theatre studies, as a quintessential 'arty' subject, is looked down upon. I only took it because i thought it was going to be easy.

And i totally get what you say about 'self learning'. To be honest with you, I think that i practically taught myself that degree.

Nevermind hey.

I want to get my act together in the next year, so i can apply for a PhD the year after. Not so that i can get a job with it, just because i think the title of doctor would go well before my name :wink:
Original post by john2054
Yes, I just thought that theatre studies, as a quintessential 'arty' subject, is looked down upon. I only took it because i thought it was going to be easy.

And i totally get what you say about 'self learning'. To be honest with you, I think that i practically taught myself that degree.

Nevermind hey.

I want to get my act together in the next year, so i can apply for a PhD the year after. Not so that i can get a job with it, just because i think the title of doctor would go well before my name :wink:

Are you being serious? You're thinking of doing and funding a four-year research degree just to have the word Doctor before your name?
Original post by Trapz99
Are you being serious? You're thinking of doing and funding a four-year research degree just to have the word Doctor before your name?

Is that a bad idea?!?

Spoiler

Finally a way to separate misbehaving children in state schools from the bright kids who want to actually learn and get somewhere in life.
Original post by Dnkz7
Is Dartford Grammar School a really good school? I got a place there but I turned them down believing I wouldn't achieve top grades at IB

It is thought to be one of the top state schools.
Original post by nwmyname
Grammar Schools push kids further as they are in an environment with other clever children.
If they were in a state school, chances are that they accustom themselves to lower standards.

This is what I've always suspected. But nowadays I'm not so sure.
problem with state schools are there are many variables which parents cant control, such as unruly kids. don't get me wrong, some of my mates are people that weren't really bothered about school, but I think it throws a spanner in the works. my mum wanted me to go for a grammar and I probably would have passed the 11+. my mediocre academic career since is probably due to he fact I went to state and fell in with the wrong crowd, plus wasn't academically challenged. however I still got to a solid russel group so I wont complain too much. its just going to a state instanty ruled out some options, as most of the teachers didn't believe in you and wouldn't move you up groups
Fantastic, I went to one.
Original post by neal95
problem with state schools are there are many variables which parents cant control, such as unruly kids. don't get me wrong, some of my mates are people that weren't really bothered about school, but I think it throws a spanner in the works. my mum wanted me to go for a grammar and I probably would have passed the 11+. my mediocre academic career since is probably due to he fact I went to state and fell in with the wrong crowd, plus wasn't academically challenged. however I still got to a solid russel group so I wont complain too much. its just going to a state instanty ruled out some options, as most of the teachers didn't believe in you and wouldn't move you up groups

Take responsibility for your own underachievements.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good. I went to a single sex grammar (non fee) and would love to send my future children to a similar sort of school (though maybe not single sex). I didn't realise grammar schools barely exist anymore, as there are 3 in my hometown. Where I live now there are none and they are virtually unheard of- there are a couple of decent comprehensives but they're incredibly hard to get into, and the private schools are extortionate.*
Original post by Bornblue
Take responsibility for your own underachievements.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I take responsibility for my own underachievements. however all I am saying is that the state schools throws in variables that parents cant control. you would be a thick uneducated **** to argue against that assertion. I wasn't the most studious individual, however in the environment I was in it wasn't "cool" to study. If I went to a place that was more rigorous concerning acadmemics I am sure I would have done better. stop sucking up to the establishment and try and empatathise for a change. just a bit of constructiver criticism
I went to a state school, and I haven't turned out so bad... :rofl:
Original post by neal95
I take responsibility for my own underachievements. however all I am saying is that the state schools throws in variables that parents cant control. you would be a thick uneducated **** to argue against that assertion. I wasn't the most studious individual, however in the environment I was in it wasn't "cool" to study. If I went to a place that was more rigorous concerning acadmemics I am sure I would have done better. stop sucking up to the establishment and try and empatathise for a change. just a bit of constructiver criticism

I went to a state school and achieved very good results. We had streams which allowed the best to be in classes where they were pushed while also giving the less academic students the support they needed.

Now how is a grammar school better than that?
Stop looking for excuses for not doing as well as you should have.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Bornblue
I went to a state school and achieved very good results. We had streams which allowed the best to be in classes where they were pushed while also giving the less academic students the support they needed.

Now how is a grammar school better than that?
Stop looking for excuses for not doing as well as you should have.

Posted from TSR Mobile

well in my state school there was streams but it was easier for the teachers to let you wallow in your set already. stop being a monumental **** and projecting your experience onto everyone else.
Original post by neal95
well in my state school there was streams but it was easier for the teachers to let you wallow in your set already. stop being a monumental **** and projecting your experience onto everyone else.

I'm sick of people making excuses. You want to succeed then work hard, you don't need a grammar school. Do you think kids at grammar schools walk around reading encyclopedias?

There is zero evidence that grammar schools increase social mobility.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest