vac. scheme accommodation Watch

Schott
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
OK this may seem a really really stupid question but I don't have a lot of knowledge in the area. If someone was to obtain a placement on a vacation scheme at a City firm, but did not live in London, then theoretically would they have to find some hotel or b&b in the suburbs and commute every day? I mean there must be quite a few people who do not have friends/family in London. Or do firms provide/assist with accomodation?
kaisersalsek
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just stay in uni halls, easy
Schott
Rep:
?
Ah right - you can do that even when you are not a student at that uni? Thinking about it I heard they do let out the halls over the holidays.
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, they cost a bit but I'm doing it and they're dead convenient (if crap compared to halls at other unis outside of London, in all honesty, but they're literally a place to sleep and that's it).
Lush Law
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Vac scheme remuneration doesn't pay anywhere near well enough to stay in a decent hotel in London. If I were doing a vac scheme I'd probs stay in a hotel but to be honest it's a bit pointless as I doubt you will spend much time in your accom.
Schott
Rep:
?
You get paid for vacation schemes??
litispendence
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm staying in LSE accommodation, which looks pretty nice to be fair but seemingly more pricey than the others!

Tony_Ron - Yes you generally get paid around £200 a week, depending on whether you're inside or outside of London.
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Some firms pay up to 400, but I think that is rare.
Schott
Rep:
?
Aha, is that out of kindness and pity, and maybe even necessity, or do you actually do valued work for the firm?
kidney thief
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tony_ron)
Aha, is that out of kindness and pity, and maybe even necessity, or do you actually do valued work for the firm?
they say its to help with living in london but i guess its more cos their rivals pay their vac students so they have to aswell. A kind of chicken and egg scenario
kalokagathia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tony_ron)
Damn right that they pay us, given that most of my time at two of the schemes was billed to clients... Would be a bit cheeky otherwise!
Lewisy-boy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In the words of one guy: "by the time your research is 'checked' by two partners it's worth a substantial amount of money to the firm".
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (283)
44.92%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (190)
30.16%
I don't have an opinion (157)
24.92%

Watched Threads