Turn on thread page Beta

Election of a new Secretary General watch

• View Poll Results: Who do you want as your next Secretary General?
    6+6=12
    16.67%
    Craghyrax
    83.33%

ReputationRep:
    Two candidates have expressed an interest in becoming the MUN's sixth Secretary General; 6+6=6 and Craghyrax.

Craghyrax submitted the following manifesto:

Craghyrax's Manifesto I've always thought the role of Secretary General must be enjoyable, and I'm keen to give it a go.
    With the time and involvement I've had in the MUN thus far, I hope I am in a position to make balanced and informed decisions for the better. Having said that, I will always respect and appreciate the opinions and views of MUN members, and I hope to draw from the experience of others as well as my own.
    I feel there is some flexibility in the nature of this position. I hope to be as active as I can, even in exploring ways to introduce and stimulate debate in the forum. While it should not be the responsibility of the SG to synthesise activity, there's also no good reason for him/her to be restricted to the sidelines. I believe that IC activity is possible even for the SG. I'd also like to pay some attention to finding ways to integrate newcomers into MUN more effectively. I feel strongly about upholding adherence to the Charter. I will reinforce it faithfully and with no hesitancy. I especially feel that a strong commitment to IC performance is necessary for the success of MUN. I'm sure you all know how passionate I am.

Lastly, I wish to reassure the GA of my commitment to the health and success of the MUN. After several months of enjoyable participation, I am very attached to it and happy to serve it.

No manifesto was recieved from 6+6=6.

I will start the poll in either 24 or 48 hours depending on the level of interest in the question and answer session which begins now and ends at the closing of the poll.

Good Luck to both Candidates.

ReputationRep:
    To both candidates, the new charter advocates a 3 strike policy. At what point would you think that a 'strike' is called for? What would you let pass?

6+6=12, what justification do you have for not submitting a manifesto?

ReputationRep:
    6+6=6 i notice that you haven't submitted a manifesto while i don't think that this should be held against you as you are a long active member of the MUN was just wondering if you could write a bit explaining why you want to be SG

ReputationRep:
    I feel that the following issues merit a 'strike':

1: Persisting in OOC performance even after a warning PM by the SG.
    2: Negligence of duty, eg failing to perform in your role for a considerable period of time. I mean this in a relative sense. If MUN is dead.. then everybody's inactive, but when there are debates going on, and a member is noticeably failing to participate in any of it, they are neglecting their role.
    3: Persistent incivility towards another member, again in defiance of a warning by PM. Although this is really an extention of #1.

The reason these things merit a strike is because they strike a blow at the life and vitality of the entire MUN. If a blind eye is turned, then members will develop the perception that its acceptable to behave in such a way, and before you know it, we don't have a functioning MUN anymore.

ReputationRep:
    guys, my internet's been sporadic at best due to moving back home and having to order internet cos lazy parents didnt have it, been operating from local library where you have to book hourly slots, hence not had time at present to do a manifesto. Good news is talktalk have started it up and all I need are a few hours to be ready to answer all your questions and post a manifesto....

ReputationRep:
    For those of you that don't know me, I've been knocking around the MUN for 1 1/2 years now, representing a great variety of nations in my time, from KSA to UK to Syria and a few others on the way. I have always tried to select controversial nations in an attempt to spark refreshing debate, away form the usual "condolences, sympathies etc". As SG I would seek to continue this refreshing debate with an impartial and professional attitude.

The MUN has come very far in the past few months, whilst I was skeptical at the beginning of Nefarious' reign I am very glad that he proved me wrong and has done everything that he could to stimulate fresh and informative debate, mixing it with a friendly informal community; something that I would seek to continue. It's been great to see the recent new faces, like wackysparkle and BradyB who have proven in their short time here that a few members really can make the difference. I believe that just by standing for this role it is a given that I will try my utmost to further the MUN, give it more time than anything elese on TSR and remain constantly active. Rather than continue with a more general theme, I thought I would explain in more detail what I would do, were I elected SG (all of these proposals would be put to the MUN in a single resolutions with multiple choice vote, in an attempt to find out in a succint manner as to whether they should be implemented).

1. continue with roll calls to clear out the MUN closet of those distant comrades that may have departed, leavig the door open for new members to take over their posts.

2. continue with Nefarious' plan to re-elect the whole MUN to create a fresh start.

3. Continue with the MUN MOTM that I originally initiated and that seems to be working well.

4. Create a "MUN FAQ" thread to be stickied, highlighted in red and come with the tag "new members - read this". The FAQ would help to ease new members into what can often be the daunting task of representing a nation. It would also have the " Thinking about joining the TSR Model UN? Click here!" thread integrated and would act as a question board, where I or others could happily answer questions that new members may have. It would also contain a link to an example resolution and the resolution drafter so that new members could easily start off.

5. Publicise the MUN to the rest of the forum, we've tried it in D&D but I think we should go further afield; with the permission of the mods create threads in places like chat just to point out the existence of the MUN and highlight what we do to the tens of thousands of other students in the forum. This would hopefully give us some fresh blood to recruit and stimulate more fun and debating in the MUN.

6. Inspired by C4, create an "Iraq Commision" thread for the MUN. Iraq is a serious political issue and one that has barely been touched on in the real and model UN. I suggest that we create a "commision" thread and debate In Character about how best to proceed with the future of Iraq, the UN can and should play a major role in re-introducing peace into this war torn region. Hopefully we can beat our real life counterparts by reaching a deal, and at the same time take part in interesting and fervent debate (we can even get the kurds in there somewhere ).

7. Re-instate the "newswire" thread to provide topics that can be debated in the MUN, and highlight the fact that debate does not always have to come in the form of a resolution. Incorporated into this would be a list of news sites relevant for active countries to help reps find out what's going on in their country.

8. Have a monthly Hypothetical or Historical Scenario, a regular one that we can all get stuck into. Suggestions for possible topics would always be welcome.

9. The SG should always be there to address any concerns and help out all members. I propose we also hold a monthly review of the MUN, restricted to one thread that can be updated every month; a place to dicuss the direction of the MUN and address publicly any concerns or ideas that members may have. Progress from this can lead to more and better intiatives and ideas being implemented.

10. In the unrepresented section, have a list of nations that we need reps for urgently, so that new members have a better clue of which country to select. For example, if we have a war between Kazakhstan and UIruguay break out in real life, but have no reps for the nations, they would go on the list for a requirement of urgent representation.

11. Create threads for discussion of events that are occuring in real life, such as G8 etc.

12. Regular PM's concerning voting on resolutions and Admin stuff, along the lines of the HoC

These are just some of many ideas that I would implement in an attempt to create a bustling MUN and progress into the future, expanding our friendly community to the rest of the students out there!

Finally I know that whichever candidate wins, we will have a good SG for the next term, I would like to wish Craghyrax the best of luck, apologise for the late submission of my manifesto for reasons detailed above and welcome all delegates to propose any questions they would like answered.

(PS apologies for any spelling/grammar mistakes)
    (PPS Nefarious, would it be cheeky to ask that this is added to the first post?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    To both candidates, the new charter advocates a 3 strike policy. At what point would you think that a 'strike' is called for? What would you let pass?

6+6=12, what justification do you have for not submitting a manifesto?
    As stated in the charter a warning would be required before a 'strike' is issued. However, reasons for a potential warning and following strike can be one of many. The charter states that it is for an action that breaks the charter. I believe that this would mean a candidate continuously going against the rules stipulated in the charter, but also extends to various other misdemeanours that are so blatant, as the law often says, that they are obvious to all that they are designed at going against the fundamental essence of the MUN. Obviously practically all of these are covered by the charter, but just in case someone tries to find a loophole in the system, this would have to apply to that as well... I do believe that certain flexibility has to be employed in the MUN in an attempt to maintain a working enviroment. If the rules are applied with complete rigidity, it will affect the spirit and direction of the MUN, often contricting it. There are times when debate can be heated, and perhaps instead of issuing a specific wearning, it would be best to issue a general one, followed by further action if the misdemanours persist. Obviously all complaints of rule breaking would be vigourously investigated and results produced for the complainant, along with a further follow up process of an independant investiagtor if the complainant remains unhappy.

As for the second question, see above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 6+6=12)
    For those of you that don't know me, I've been knocking around the MUN for 1 1/2 years now, representing a great variety of nations in my time, from KSA to UK to Syria and a few others on the way. I have always tried to select controversial nations in an attempt to spark refreshing debate, away form the usual "condolences, sympathies etc". As SG I would seek to continue this refreshing debate with an impartial and professional attitude.

The MUN has come very far in the past few months, whilst I was skeptical at the beginning of Nefarious' reign I am very glad that he proved me wrong and has done everything that he could to stimulate fresh and informative debate, mixing it with a friendly informal community; something that I would seek to continue. It's been great to see the recent new faces, like wackysparkle and BradyB who have proven in their short time here that a few members really can make the difference. I believe that just by standing for this role it is a given that I will try my utmost to further the MUN, give it more time than anything elese on TSR and remain constantly active. Rather than continue with a more general theme, I thought I would explain in more detail what I would do, were I elected SG (all of these proposals would be put to the MUN in a single resolutions with multiple choice vote, in an attempt to find out in a succint manner as to whether they should be implemented).

1. continue with roll calls to clear out the MUN closet of those distant comrades that may have departed, leavig the door open for new members to take over their posts.

2. continue with Nefarious' plan to re-elect the whole MUN to create a fresh start.

3. Continue with the MUN MOTM that I originally initiated and that seems to be working well.

4. Create a "MUN FAQ" thread to be stickied, highlighted in red and come with the tag "new members - read this". The FAQ would help to ease new members into what can often be the daunting task of representing a nation. It would also have the " Thinking about joining the TSR Model UN? Click here!" thread integrated and would act as a question board, where I or others could happily answer questions that new members may have. It would also contain a link to an example resolution and the resolution drafter so that new members could easily start off.

5. Publicise the MUN to the rest of the forum, we've tried it in D&D but I think we should go further afield; with the permission of the mods create threads in places like chat just to point out the existence of the MUN and highlight what we do to the tens of thousands of other students in the forum. This would hopefully give us some fresh blood to recruit and stimulate more fun and debating in the MUN.

6. Inspired by C4, create an "Iraq Commision" thread for the MUN. Iraq is a serious political issue and one that has barely been touched on in the real and model UN. I suggest that we create a "commision" thread and debate In Character about how best to proceed with the future of Iraq, the UN can and should play a major role in re-introducing peace into this war torn region. Hopefully we can beat our real life counterparts by reaching a deal, and at the same time take part in interesting and fervent debate (we can even get the kurds in there somewhere ).

7. Re-instate the "newswire" thread to provide topics that can be debated in the MUN, and highlight the fact that debate does not always have to come in the form of a resolution. Incorporated into this would be a list of news sites relevant for active countries to help reps find out what's going on in their country.

8. Have a monthly Hypothetical or Historical Scenario, a regular one that we can all get stuck into. Suggestions for possible topics would always be welcome.

9. The SG should always be there to address any concerns and help out all members. I propose we also hold a monthly review of the MUN, restricted to one thread that can be updated every month; a place to dicuss the direction of the MUN and address publicly any concerns or ideas that members may have. Progress from this can lead to more and better intiatives and ideas being implemented.

10. In the unrepresented section, have a list of nations that we need reps for urgently, so that new members have a better clue of which country to select. For example, if we have a war between Kazakhstan and UIruguay break out in real life, but have no reps for the nations, they would go on the list for a requirement of urgent representation.

11. Create threads for discussion of events that are occuring in real life, such as G8 etc.

These are just some of many ideas that I would implement in an attempt to create a bustling MUN and progress into the future, expanding our friendly community to the rest of the students out there!

Finally I know that whichever candidate wins, we will have a good SG for the next term, I would like to wish Craghyrax the best of luck, apologise for the late submission of my manifesto for reasons detailed above and welcome all delegates to propose any questions they would like answered.

(PS apologies for any spelling/grammar mistakes)
    (PPS Nefarious, would it be cheeky to ask that this is added to the first post?)
    I'm not going to add it to the OP but it's fairly visible there.

Craghyrax is actually putting together a newbies FAQ at the moment, I've already told her I'm happy to help out with it any way I can, the same applies to anything similar you produce.

Do you really think we need a regular HYP or HIST scenario given the complete lack of interest in them whenever I've tried to start them?

I know that for the first MUN MOTM you offered a subscription as a prize but was it actually your idea? I know it was AYAZ who re-invented it this time.

As for your Iraq thread Idea I started a very similar thread yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nefarious)
    I'm not going to add it to the OP but it's fairly visible there.

Craghyrax is actually putting together a newbies FAQ at the moment, I've already told her I'm happy to help out with it any way I can, the same applies to anything similar you produce.
    Thanks

Do you really think we need a regular HYP or HIST scenario given the complete lack of interest in them whenever I've tried to start them?
    I think one of the problems with the Hist/Hyp situation is their complete irregularity, if reps knew that on this date of every month a new Hist/Hyp discussion would be started and only then, then they would know when to turn up to participate. Also I would hope that a greater turnout in future would lead to increased popularity of the Hist/Hyp scenarios.

I know that for the first MUN MOTM you offered a subscription as a prize but was it actually your idea? I know it was AYAZ who re-invented it this time.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=276879
    that was some point back in august 2006, and I'm sure there is another one lurking around from when I first introduced it. The idea did die down after four odd months and was revived, both me and Ayaz came up with the plan to reinstate it, on consecutive days, not seeing each others posts.

As for your Iraq thread Idea I started a very similar thread yesterday.
    The problem is when you ask people to discuss the Iraq war the obvious responses will be criticism from some and defense from others. Iraq is a very broad topic and I'm talking about sorting out the future of Iraq, knocking together a solution to a very real crisis that will require international pooling to resolve. Discussion about the future, not the war in general, unless of course I misinterpreted the purpose of your thread
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    As the representative of the WHO, and hence one of two representatives of the NGO's, I would like to address an important issue to both Craghyrax and 6+6=12.

Being an NGO, we are restricted from voting. Further, our involvement is quite limited presently, and thus, I have attempted to maintain 2 threads - one addressing the role of the WHO, and the other concerning the Avian Influenza.
    The WHO would like to know how the new SG will address the NGO, e.g. will they provide a more descriptive and involved role for them?

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, only member states are permitted to vote in resolutions, to make it otherwise would require an amendment to charter. But I shouldn't be answering that.

6+6=12, thank you for your manifesto and answer to my question. To Craghyrax, how do you respond to the proposals made by SG Nefarious re: reassingment of P5 positions? How are you intending to stimulate debate rather than "x agrees" resolutions?

I think it would be instructive were you to respond to 6+6=12's manifesto with regards to the numbered points above.

ReputationRep:
    To both candidates, how, as SG would you ensure that the p5 nations do not prevent smaller nations from getting a fair deal, while maintaining a true representation of the UN

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodzinski)
    To both candidates, how, as SG would you ensure that the p5 nations do not prevent smaller nations from getting a fair deal, while maintaining a true representation of the UN
    Let's be brutally honest here, smaller member states don't get a fair deal in the real UN, and whilst we can attempt to bridge that gap using our creative freedom in the MUN, I doubt we will ever achieve total equality.

The key is to ensure that whilst P5 nations have greater privileges (such as the veto) they also have greater responsibilities and burdens. If there's an earthquake in Nepal, there is not a great expectation on smaller nations, such as antigua, to contribute aid and other supplies to help out with the disaster, however it's expected that nations such as the US will automatically help out.

In terms of relations between reps, it can certainly be intimidating, and perhaps even fustrating to know that a heirarchy exists in the MUN, but the key to achieving a fair deal is to ensure that those representing smaller nations never feel victimised or bullied by the P5 nations. I don't see that ever occuring as the MUN tends to elect members of good stature to P5 positions, but in the event it did occur, as SG I would see this as an instant warning under the three strikes policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wackysparkle)
    As the representative of the WHO, and hence one of two representatives of the NGO's, I would like to address an important issue to both Craghyrax and 6+6=12.

Being an NGO, we are restricted from voting. Further, our involvement is quite limited presently, and thus, I have attempted to maintain 2 threads - one addressing the role of the WHO, and the other concerning the Avian Influenza.
    The WHO would like to know how the new SG will address the NGO, e.g. will they provide a more descriptive and involved role for them?
    As ukebert rightly pointed out, it is clear in the UN charter that NGO's cannot vote on resolutions. My opinion is that this isn't a totally fair system, you have proven that NGO's commit just as much as other reps to the MUN, and are vital to discussing key issues, so there should be as many incentives as possible to ensure they remain represented. I would definitely be in favour of amending the charter to allow NGO's to vote, if the rest of the MUN was in agreement.

There is the counter argument that NGO's are there purely for consultative purposes, so that member states can act on their advice (being foolish if they ignored it) and as such there is no requirement for NGO's to have a say. It can be put forward that reps are allowed to vote as they are representatives of different peoples of different nations of the world and as such NGO's should not be allowed as they do not represent a nation or group of peoples. However NGO's are there to represent the whole world, every single person from Asia to Africa making their role paramount in the MUN and giving them the ability to vote would be equal to giving everybody in the world an extra vote. If that makes sense :p:

Basically, within the MUN, I do believe NGO's have a great role to play, especially considering most modern scenarios are related to things like health that would require the input of the WHO etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wackysparkle)

Personally I'm quite excited about the variety and scope that the involvement of NGO reps gives to the MUN. You've set a very good example of what can be done through what you have pioneered so far, WS. I think the initiative should be allowed to grow organically, and I think that is how it has developed thus far both in your case, and in the involvment demonstrated by Ethereal as UNHCR. By this I mean that you (and any other members who are interested in representing an NGO) should be given the freedom to experiment with the ideas that you have.
    I think the amount of involvement that NGOs have at present is proportional to the size and level of activity of the MUN at the moment. If and when the MUN becomes far more active, that is the point at which the NGO should be developed and expanded. In the past the MUN had a Human Rights Council in a seperate subforum, but the initiative was abandoned after it didn't take off as successfully as anticipated. Committing one or two dedicated threads to NGO issues is far more realistic, organic and flexible.

Having said as much, NGOs can never participate in the entire MUN the same way as member states do. NGOs are neutral. They do not (in theory) possess political bias. It would be unrealistic for them to vote on a political issue, or to take part in a political discussion. However it is fully reasonable for an NGO rep to participate in the discussion of an issue that involves subject matter relevant to the aims and creed of that NGO. Ethereal demonstrated this very well. His only activity in political threads overall was to ensure that member states were adhering to values of Human Rights in the positions/decisions that they reached.
    The WHO may have the freedom to do exactly the same, should a related thread materialise.

As for non-political activity, an NGO member is still an MUN member. In all discussions, debates, polls and decisions that are specific to the functioning and administration of the TSR MUN (aka OOC debates), NGO reps should be allowed to participate in discussion and vote in exactly the same way that other members can.

I think that this issue needs to be discussed a good deal further, and that all of us need to agree on the boundaries and nature of NGO involvement, and stick it in the charter, to be honest. Having said that, I think that this can be hammered out over time.

I hope all of that was clear? Please shout if it isn't. My apologies for inflicting such a dissertation on the audience.

ReputationRep:
    To Craghyrax, how do you respond to the proposals made by SG Nefarious re: reassingment of P5 positions?
    I intend to follow up on Nefarious' original intentions in this area, as concluded after the discussion we (the MUN :p:) held.

How are you intending to stimulate debate rather than "x agrees" resolutions?
    I hope to introduce loose debate threads where I can. I will try to post links to various current issues and challenge the MUN to debate them, occasionally posing questions myself (within what is IC for an SG). Its a lot less easy to post 'I agree' to this kind of thread, and it will stop people thinking of activity purely in terms of resolutions, and hopefully make the entire forum less daunting to newcomers. As Nightowl and others have remarked beforehand, resolutions can be drafted as a result of sponteneous debate of this nature.
    I think it would be instructive were you to respond to 6+6=12's manifesto with regards to the numbered points above.
    Righto. Shall do...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lodzinski)
    I'm not sure I entirely know what you mean by this.

I don't think that smaller nations get an unfair deal at all. Any nation in the MUN may run for a non-perm SC seat, for up to two times in a row. If they exceed this they can change country and do so again (although in practical terms, people this keen usually get their turn at P5 seats before it comes to this) Furthermore, the nature of the role of a small nation is so much more flexible than that of a P5 nation. To be fair it depends which P5 nation we're talking about.. In my own experience, my role as Germany opened up far more activity for me than my role as China has. While China usually has a very pronounced voice in every issue (as does Germany), there were very few issues I could find to raise debate on or write resolutions for. It has actually been very frustrating. I think pretty much any nation that a rep chooses will allow them as much involvement and freedom as they choose to pursue! Its down to what the member makes of it.
    As to the veto issue, our recent change in charter has limited the amount of resolutions that are sent to the Security Council after debate. This means that there is a greatly reduced number of areas in which P5 nations are likely to 'bully' smaller nations. And to be perfectly honest, a certain amount of such bullying is necessary in order for us to realistically emulate international politics.

I'm perfectly happy to discuss this further. Please clarify if I have missed your meaning.

ReputationRep:
    I had assumed this was a given.
    Fully agreed.
    Again a given.
    I had this idea about ten days ago. I have PMd two of our newer members, and also discussed the issue with another member over MSN in an attempt to get an idea of which aspects of the MUN are the most confusing and daunting for newcomers. All three of the aforementioned can vouch for this. I have started to write some sort of FAQ, trying to supplement the resources we already have stickied rather than repeating unecessarily. My idea is to have one colossal FAQ post at the start of an open 'I have a stupid question' thread (title courtesy of Alisdair about a week ago :girl:) which means that most of the confusion will be clarified at the first post, but that people will still be encouraged to ask if they're still confused.
    I was and am fully intentional of compiling it and launching it whether or not I become SG (which I see as something rather irrelevent to it, tbh) 6+6=12 if you are doing anything similar please PM me to check I haven't already done it!

Good idea. Personally I'd been thinking of dredging up that resolution of AYAZ's from a few months back with that long list of suggested initiatives (including the one you just mentioned) to promote and advertise the MUN.
    I'm indifferent. If 6+6=12 wants to do this, that's completely fine by me. I shan't be devoting such specified attention to one topic. The MUN hasn't been very active lately, and until people start to bite the bait, I think it would be a waste of time.. or premature anyway.
    Nefarious reintroduced the Iraq debate 2days ago, and only Liechtenstein has showed any enthusiasm to date. That's a far cry from a dedicated thread, unfortunately

I won't be going about it through that route. I would start a new thread for every new issue. This breaks it down, and means that people are more likely to bother to reply. If they have to first go to a thread.. follow a link.. read an article..etc..etc, they might not bother. If I post the relevent link, and draw out certain aspects in my introductory post, this puts it into a package and breaks it down for people. Spoon feeding? Yes.. but I think that's necessary until things pick up and people regain an excitement and proactive interest in IC political discussion. That said, I don't intend to be alone in this. I hope I will have everybody's help in thinking along the same lines.
    That's something else I would play by ear.

Not sure what I think of that :hmmmm: I have a feeling Nightowl won't like it :p: I'm of the mind that once a month is far too frequent for that sort of thing. I think the MUN is under constant review anyway. We have new people coming in and challenging how we do things.. which forces review by default. We also have helpful and insightful members like Alisdair who quite often raises or comments on aspects to be thought of. I would do it as and when the need arises. I'm not going to be dossing on the job. I hope to have enough of a feel for what's going on to know when that's pertinent.
    That's worth considering, although I'm not sure how feasible it is, and whether or not it might be offputting to newcomers.
    I see that as part and parcel of starting debate threads generally.
    12. Regular PM's concerning voting on resolutions and Admin stuff, along the lines of the HoC
    I had been thinking the same thing. I joined HoC about a month ago, and I've been very impressed with Nightowl's administration as speaker. There are cons, of course... One wants to avoid encouraging a culture of people coming in just to vote and then feeling justified in sneaking off again

ReputationRep:
    Just to clarify (so nobody thinks I'm nicking other people's ideas :p:) the MUN FAQ was part of my manifesto last time I stood, as found here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=272901
    sadly it didn't come into fruition last time round, but this time I hope that it does, no matter what the outcome of this election is.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    As ukebert rightly pointed out, it is clear in the UN charter that NGO's cannot vote on resolutions. My opinion is that this isn't a totally fair system, you have proven that NGO's commit just as much as other reps to the MUN, and are vital to discussing key issues, so there should be as many incentives as possible to ensure they remain represented. I would definitely be in favour of amending the charter to allow NGO's to vote, if the rest of the MUN was in agreement.

There is the counter argument that NGO's are there purely for consultative purposes, so that member states can act on their advice (being foolish if they ignored it) and as such there is no requirement for NGO's to have a say. It can be put forward that reps are allowed to vote as they are representatives of different peoples of different nations of the world and as such NGO's should not be allowed as they do not represent a nation or group of peoples. However NGO's are there to represent the whole world, every single person from Asia to Africa making their role paramount in the MUN and giving them the ability to vote would be equal to giving everybody in the world an extra vote. If that makes sense :p:

Basically, within the MUN, I do believe NGO's have a great role to play, especially considering most modern scenarios are related to things like health that would require the input of the WHO etc.

The WHO appreciates the regard that you have for NGO's and have understood the importance of them :p:. If elected, I hope the new SG formulates a more positive and involved role for us, so that all nations may be able to contact the relevant NGO when needed. Further, enable the NGO's to take part in group discussions and have the opportunity of voting.. as like you have said:
    'NGO's are there to represent the whole world, every single person from Asia to Africa making their role paramount in the MUN

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.