Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hi everyone, I have been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years now but I just keep questioning if I love him anymore. He just does so much that irritates me! For example our electricity went off yesterday and then he went into a foul mood with me as if it was my fault. Obviously having your electricity go off is a general part of life - it happens! But to him it ruined his whole day - he was grumpy with me, stormed about the house and then left. But this just seems to be how he behaves when anything goes wrong or not exactly how he planned it!

Also, he keeps correcting things I say all the time, especially round his family or friends and it makes me feel stupid! Its not that i say the wrong thing but I say things differently and pronounce things differently cause I am from a different part of the country.

And he has never been affectionate - he takes strange notions when he wants to hold hands or something but for the most part he just doesn't show affection unless he wants sex.

Oh and another thing which has been pissing me off is him making out that I am lazy. He always seems to think his job is more stressful and he works more than me. In my opinion we both work equally as hard and our jobs are stressful in different ways but I know for certain that I work more hours than him - but I just don't see how this matters?

I guess it just irritates me cause I don't think this should be a competition. A relationship shouldn't feel this difficult? I know the right move would probably be to break up with him - but how? We rent a house together, we are paying off furniture together, we have a dog now - and to top it off his parents keep talking about us having a baby and getting married! It now seems like such a big thing to break up and I don't know how I am going to do it.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi everyone, I have been with my boyfriend for almost 4 years now but I just keep questioning if I love him anymore. He just does so much that irritates me! For example our electricity went off yesterday and then he went into a foul mood with me as if it was my fault. Obviously having your electricity go off is a general part of life - it happens! But to him it ruined his whole day - he was grumpy with me, stormed about the house and then left. But this just seems to be how he behaves when anything goes wrong or not exactly how he planned it!

Also, he keeps correcting things I say all the time, especially round his family or friends and it makes me feel stupid! Its not that i say the wrong thing but I say things differently and pronounce things differently cause I am from a different part of the country.

And he has never been affectionate - he takes strange notions when he wants to hold hands or something but for the most part he just doesn't show affection unless he wants sex.

Oh and another thing which has been pissing me off is him making out that I am lazy. He always seems to think his job is more stressful and he works more than me. In my opinion we both work equally as hard and our jobs are stressful in different ways but I know for certain that I work more hours than him - but I just don't see how this matters?

I guess it just irritates me cause I don't think this should be a competition. A relationship shouldn't feel this difficult? I know the right move would probably be to break up with him - but how? We rent a house together, we are paying off furniture together, we have a dog now - and to top it off his parents keep talking about us having a baby and getting married! It now seems like such a big thing to break up and I don't know how I am going to do it.
    I would say talk to him properly about it but you've listed a number of things there which to me says that it isn't worth it. You have to think about what you can do with the dog and stuff, maybe have someone if possible to mediate things or organise payments etc if you don't want to deal with him directly.

ReputationRep:
    well people break up with all those commitments made... you just have to work it out between you, do you sell the furniture to pay for it? one of your pay the other a bit to help with rent until you can end your tenancy? one of you chooses to take the dog?

but have you talked properly about what's bothering you and taken some time to try and fix ti?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 7, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.