Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If there is a GCSE with 60% coursework and 40% tests what would you need to get in both to get an A star overall

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucy101010)
    If there is a GCSE with 60% coursework and 40% tests what would you need to get in both to get an A star overall
    What subject? Exam board?

ReputationRep:
    It's about how it balances. Most of these qualifications have a mark of 200 overall (UMS) and 180 is needed for A*.

Coursework is worth 120 marks.
    Exam is worth 80 marks.

This means that you could get full UMS in the exam and get an A* with 100 UMS on coursework (this is an A).

On the other hand, you could get full UMS in the coursework and get an A* with 60 UMS on the exam (this is a B).

As long as your marks total to over 180 UMS, you have an A*.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danielwinstanley)
    what subject? Exam board?
    llw ccea.

ReputationRep:
    You'd need around an A* for each section- A* is 90% in raw marks, so you'd need 54% of a possible 60% marks from coursework (when looking at the overall grade) and 36% out of the 40% from exams, giving you 90% of the marks from the GCSE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    It's about how it balances. Most of these qualifications have a mark of 200 overall (UMS) and 180 is needed for A*.

Coursework is worth 120 marks.
    Exam is worth 80 marks.

This means that you could get full UMS in the exam and get an A* with 100 UMS on coursework (this is an A).

On the other hand, you could get full UMS in the coursework and get an A* with 60 UMS on the exam (this is a B).

As long as your marks total to over 180 UMS, you have an A*.
    Thanks !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    You'd need around an A* for each section- A* is 90% in raw marks, so you'd need 54% of a possible 60% marks from coursework (when looking at the overall grade) and 36% out of the 40% from exams, giving you 90% of the marks from the GCSE
    So if i got 60% in my coursework i would need 30% in my exams.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I explained that very badly. Say the marks for the whole GCSE was out of 100. Coursework is 60%, so a maximum of 60 marks. Exams are a maximum of 40. If you achieved full marks in your coursework (60 marks) you'd need 30 in exams for an A*, at 90% of 100. So you'd need 30 marks in this case, not 30% of the marks

ReputationRep:
    That's not really how it works. You need to treat each component separately. You need 90% UMS to get an A* on a component.

For example, in a physics exam

54/75 = A* in raw marks.
    54 is not 90% of 75 so UMS is used.

144/160 (160 is max UMS for this component) is given to anyone who got 54/75. This clarifies that they have an A* in this component because it is 90% of the UMS marks. 144 is 90% of 160.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ad4m)
    That's not really how it works. You need to treat each component separately. You need 90% UMS to get an A* on a component.

For example, in a physics exam

54/75 = A* in raw marks.
    54 is not 90% of 75 so UMS is used.

144/160 (160 is max UMS for this component) is given to anyone who got 54/75. This clarifies that they have an A* in this component because it is 90% of the UMS marks. 144 is 90% of 160.
    O right thanks

ReputationRep:
    To get an A you should either get an A on your coursework and A on your test or an A* on coursework and B on test would still get you an A overall.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.