The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Studying law at Trent

Just a few questions in general about studying law here. If anyone is currently studying law here could you tell me what your experience has been like at the uni? Are the lectures big and what is it like studying law here? I'm not sure if studying law here doesn't look as good because of uni of Nottingham? Thanks!
Hello,

I am not a student at Nottingham Trent University ('NTU') but I'll try my best to answer your question. I am a sixth form student and I went to one of their open days and I really liked the Newton and Chaucer building. The lecture theatres are quite big - the sizes differ greatly according to theatres - which suggests that the lectures are going to be big; when I went on my open day there was a lot of people in the Law lecture. You will also be examined orally through mooting mitigating or litigating in a mock court room) as well as being able to practise pro-bono through the NLS (Nottingham Law School) Legal Advice Centre. The majority of your lectures will be in the Newton building, whereas the majority of your seminars will be in the Chaucer building. If you have got any more queries then please visit this website, as it will full explain the course details:
https://www.ntu.ac.uk/study-and-courses/courses/find-your-course/law/ug/2016-17/law-full-time?courseID=167983&tabID=1&syslocat=3

I hope that I have helped you, somehow, with my limited knowledge.
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by Pn2020
Just a few questions in general about studying law here. If anyone is currently studying law here could you tell me what your experience has been like at the uni? Are the lectures big and what is it like studying law here? I'm not sure if studying law here doesn't look as good because of uni of Nottingham? Thanks!

You're right, it doesn't look as good as Nottingham. Good look getting a job at a city firm. Nevertheless though if you get a first here, you'll still be able to find a job elsewhere
Original post by Pinkberry_y
You're right, it doesn't look as good as Nottingham. Good look getting a job at a city firm. Nevertheless though if you get a first here, you'll still be able to find a job elsewhere

There's no need to do downgrade and patronise someone just because they want to go to an ex-polytechnic. Secondly, Nottingham Trent University has been named 'Legal Education provider of the Year' at the Solicitors Journal 2016 Awards. Secondly, undergraduate law students from the University of Nottingham come to Nottingham Trent University to undertake their LPC or BPTC. I would rather graduate with a first-class degree from Nottingham Trent University compared to a 2:1 from the University of Nottingham.
Reply 4
I have been part of NTU and UoN working with students now (no longer a student myself) NTU has one of the biggest Law schools in the country. Overall UoN historically has the better reputation but NTU is quickly climbing league tables to become a top university. I wouldn't knock it - PG LPC, BPTC students come to Trent from all other Universities including UoN to further their studies.
The facilities at NTU a really good, (UoN does have great facilities as well) but I think also NTU do more to help students gain experience in the paracticle sense of working in Law beyond the degree. You would do well at both uni's studying Law and ultimately the one you feel more comfortable with .
Original post by ali20javadi
There's no need to do downgrade and patronise someone just because they want to go to an ex-polytechnic. Secondly, Nottingham Trent University has been named 'Legal Education provider of the Year' at the Solicitors Journal 2016 Awards. Secondly, undergraduate law students from the University of Nottingham come to Nottingham Trent University to undertake their LPC or BPTC. I would rather graduate with a first-class degree from Nottingham Trent University compared to a 2:1 from the University of Nottingham.

Think that you're on your own with that one.
Original post by citibankrec
Think that you're on your own with that one.

Can you please elaborate on what points make you think that I'm on my own, as the contributor before you pointed out some points that supported my points. Also I was saying what I believed to be patronising; in a liberal society one must be able to speak without the pressure or force of a third party. I don't need support to stand up for what I believe in.

Quick Reply

Latest