Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I'm not far off graduating from uni myself, and I was wondering what have been the most annoying issues you've had at uni?

Could be anything like the expense of text books, or finding spots in the library etc?

Thanks!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by wrnicholls)
    Hey all,

I'm not far off graduating from uni myself, and I was wondering what have been the most annoying issues you've had at uni?

Could be anything like the expense of text books, or finding spots in the library etc?

Thanks!
    First thing - textbooks. Speak to a current student about how useful they are, if at all. Find out if any are in your library. Only then, once you have recieved satisfactory answers, should you think about buying them. For example, maths have reading lists but they are by no means necessary. Out of the £150 or so I've spent on textbooks (the majority in year 1 semester 1 where I made the mistake above, only £30 of that from one textbook was absolutely vital as you had to bring in that textbook into the exam, otherwise you were screwed. Yet I know of one guy who never bought the textbook throughout the semester and went to the exam without it.. he didn't do well.

Library spots are tricky, particularly towards exam season, but this is something you have to gauge for your own uni. At mine there's no point going in exam season in the afternoon, you'll find nothing. Only early on in the morning or later in the evening.

The only other massively annoying problem is how funny timetables can get sometimes. My worst days from the 2 years I've been so far have been one where there's a 9 o'clock and a 3 o'clock lecture with nothing inbetween, with the 9 o'clock lecture meaning you have to get up at 7 (in my case anyway) which isn't as easy as it sounds at uni, and that's not me being lazy. I couldn't for the life of me stay at the library for 5 or so hours (and make lunch in the morning) so I just went home after it, and it was tempting to just skip it as well. The other worst day was when there were 4 hours (out of a possible 4, since only sports are timetabled after 1pm on a Wednesday at this uni.. though I know of people who get the entire day off) in a row, in 2 different rooms and I was nodding off by the 3rd or 4th lecture. It's not fun when the lecture room is warm enough for you to just go to sleep.

And timetabling again, my exam timetables have mostly been okay apart from my most recent one where my second last exam was on the second last Friday at 16:30, which is fine, and my final one was on 9:30 on the next Monday (they could have timetabled it to be on the final Friday, but they wouldn't want to make them too easy!) and again waking up for that one was fun. Could have been worse though, one of my mates had a 9:30 exam on one day and the next one was 16:30 on the following day.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by wrnicholls)
    Hey all,

Thanks!
    Hello

Textbooks were a little of a problem but nothing major. My course requires an awful lot of books but I've bought very little as a lot of mine have been accessible through charity shops and second hand etc - also, my library is extremely well stocked so I never had to buy each and every book.

For me, organisation of my lectures, due dates and so on were the biggest pet peeve and it caused a lot of problems with all students on my course. My lecturers just got wires crossed a lot and never had things set in stone from time to time and it was very frustrating!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    First thing - textbooks. Speak to a current student about how useful they are, if at all. Find out if any are in your library. Only then, once you have recieved satisfactory answers, should you think about buying them. For example, maths have reading lists but they are by no means necessary. Out of the £150 or so I've spent on textbooks (the majority in year 1 semester 1 where I made the mistake above, only £30 of that from one textbook was absolutely vital as you had to bring in that textbook into the exam, otherwise you were screwed. Yet I know of one guy who never bought the textbook throughout the semester and went to the exam without it.. he didn't do well.

Library spots are tricky, particularly towards exam season, but this is something you have to gauge for your own uni. At mine there's no point going in exam season in the afternoon, you'll find nothing. Only early on in the morning or later in the evening.

The only other massively annoying problem is how funny timetables can get sometimes. My worst days from the 2 years I've been so far have been one where there's a 9 o'clock and a 3 o'clock lecture with nothing inbetween, with the 9 o'clock lecture meaning you have to get up at 7 (in my case anyway) which isn't as easy as it sounds at uni, and that's not me being lazy. I couldn't for the life of me stay at the library for 5 or so hours (and make lunch in the morning) so I just went home after it, and it was tempting to just skip it as well. The other worst day was when there were 4 hours (out of a possible 4, since only sports are timetabled after 1pm on a Wednesday at this uni.. though I know of people who get the entire day off) in a row, in 2 different rooms and I was nodding off by the 3rd or 4th lecture. It's not fun when the lecture room is warm enough for you to just go to sleep.

And timetabling again, my exam timetables have mostly been okay apart from my most recent one where my second last exam was on the second last Friday at 16:30, which is fine, and my final one was on 9:30 on the next Monday (they could have timetabled it to be on the final Friday, but they wouldn't want to make them too easy!) and again waking up for that one was fun. Could have been worse though, one of my mates had a 9:30 exam on one day and the next one was 16:30 on the following day.
    sounds like my uni but I had 9am and then nothing until 6pm or an 11 hour day

ReputationRep:
    Other students.... basically the noisy *******s who don't care if they're disturbing others or keeping them awake in the early hours of the morning.

That's the only real problem I've had at university.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Travelling to different campuses. It's like 45 mins-1hr of a bus ride for each way. Even though we get a free bus pass, it's very annoying!

ReputationRep:
    paying rent

ReputationRep:
    My biggest problems have been the library and exam timetabling. Library: only has capacity for a little over 1,000 students, but our university has over 16,000 students. Permanent nightmare. Exam timetabling: Our exam seasons are 2 weeks in winter and 3 weeks in summer. My worst exam timetable was Monday 9-11 & 12-2 then Tuesday 9-11 and 3-5 in the first week of exams. WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT? They had 3 weeks to spread it out over and they give me 4 exams in less than 48 hours. It's a joke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GoingToBurst)
    My biggest problems have been the library and exam timetabling. Library: only has capacity for a little over 1,000 students, but our university has over 16,000 students. Permanent nightmare. Exam timetabling: Our exam seasons are 2 weeks in winter and 3 weeks in summer. My worst exam timetable was Monday 9-11 & 12-2 then Tuesday 9-11 and 3-5 in the first week of exams. WHY WOULD THEY DO THAT? They had 3 weeks to spread it out over and they give me 4 exams in less than 48 hours. It's a joke.
    Wow, what university is this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    I back what's said there about timetables.

At my previous uni the day ran from 9am-6pm, and on a Monday I would be in every hour except 12-1 which gave me just enough time to go back to my flat and make some lunch and run back out (perks of a campus uni), yet I'd only have 6 hours left spread out across the remaining 4 days. and every other week I'd get Thursday off anyway.. It sounds amazing but trust me after about 3/4 weeks it can soon get pretty boring/frustrating. I know it's not always 100% possible but a nice even spread of contact hours would be so much nicer.

ReputationRep:
    Homesickness and anxiety during freshers week. Kind of annoying when others around you are enjoying themselves.

Halls - bad flatmates, not much more to say really. I lived by myself in the second semester because they just left without telling me.

Textbooks - In first year alone they costed a fortune. There are hundreds of us on our course and the library only has about 5 of each book, which are always taken.

Exams on another campus.

ReputationRep:
    - Timetables changing constantly throughout my first year. One person on my course had to give up as she needed to work to support herself (had run out of SF eligibility) and her boss finally put his foot down about constantly swapping shifts so she could get to lectures/seminars.

- Shortage of lecture space meant that you could have lectures any time 9am-9pm. In my second year I had one unit where all lectures were 7pm-9pm - it was like having an evening class. Not much fun when during one term, the only only other lecture that day was 9am-10am. Although at least my subject stuck to the main campus. Some other subjects were sent to lectures in hired church halls three miles away, where the uni had declined to pay for heating during the winter. Students were turning up with cushions and duvets in an attempt to get comfortable and stay warm.

- One timetabling stroke of genius in my third year had my entire eight hours of lectures per week, scheduled into one day, 9am-5pm, with no breaks. Luckily a couple of lecturers decided that they would routinely drop 15-20 minutes at the end of their sessions so we got comfort breaks and time to bolt a sandwich.

- One particular lecturer contributed to four different modules but only seemed to have a dozen lecture slides. Regardless of the subject, whenever she gave a lecture, you'd already seen it before (sometimes twice in the same unit).

- *One lecturer being made redundant mid-year, who left under protest and deleted all of his teaching material from the student system without warning as he went, despite faculty assurances that this wouldn't happen.

- A key member of the department's admin team being made redundant, meaning that odd jobs occasionally didn't get done and nobody noticed until some sort of crisis resulted. Like my course accidentally doing one unit too many, when it was realised that we should have been offered a choice between two units at the start of the year (usually done by the departed staff member), but instead both had been timetabled as compulsory. We'd handed in coursework for both and were a month away from the exams before anybody noticed.

- Group assignments with slackers. I was headed for a first and kept being put in groups with no-hopers who needed a percentage boost. For two assignments, I did most of the work by myself. For the others, I made sure that I volunteered to compile it and hand it in. That way I could at least spellcheck it, correct the referencing, re-write the sections which had been cut/pasted from Wikipedia (no, seriously) and excise any semi-literate gibberish. Usually meant that I was up all night before the deadline, but it was worth it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.