Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How hard is GCSE Computing comparing A level Computer Science? watch

ReputationRep:
    My teacher says there's a really big gap; apparently A level Computer Science is much more harder than GCSE computing as there's more content.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed
    Spoiler:
    Show
    (Original post by Fox Corner)
    x
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I don't think there's any coursework, and also the content are a bit similar just as level probably more in depth it also said you need java script knowledge
    (this is for ocr so may not be useful at all)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Currently doing OCR A level computing (new spec) and have done the GCSE. In terms of theory, practically everything carries over and it is built upon. There's some new stuff but in general the theory is pretty damn easy, compared to the GCSE I would say the only difficult thing is that your project is completely your choice so no guidelines are given otherwise it's an easy A level

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0xFFFFail)
    There's some new stuff but in general the theory is pretty damn easy, compared to the GCSE I would say the only difficult thing is that your project is completely your choice so no guidelines are given otherwise it's an easy A level
    For the project, you can do whatever you want in any language and on anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by s4b3rt00th)
    For the project, you can do whatever you want in any language and on anything?
    In theory yes, the project has to be sufficiently complex (using relational databases for e.g. ) and hopefully your team can mark it. This is an issue with languages as your teacher has to know the language to mark as well as help you out, however, if you are proficient in a language of your choosing then there's no reason you can't use it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    The new A level is quite difficult compared to the GCSE that's just finished. The new GCSE matches up much better so next year's students will have a better understanding of the content before starting AS.

Everything is going much more mathematical and technical. It's fun - my students learn three languages over the two years including one functional language (Haskell for my pupils). There is a project but it's smaller with a lot less evidence based paperwork and more focus on your actual programming skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    The new A level is quite difficult compared to the GCSE that's just finished. The new GCSE matches up much better so next year's students will have a better understanding of the content before starting AS.

Everything is going much more mathematical and technical. It's fun - my students learn three languages over the two years including one functional language (Haskell for my pupils). There is a project but it's smaller with a lot less evidence based paperwork and more focus on your actual programming skills.
    I'm assuming this isn't OCR. OCR only has the most basic maths unfortunately :/
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by 0xFFFFail)
    I'm assuming this isn't OCR. OCR only has the most basic maths unfortunately :/
    Well there's a lot of crossover but yeah, AQA is currently considered the most difficult but it's also the more well defined specwise.

New A levels are still more fun than the previous version.

And all are more fun than the nightmare that was the old GCSE.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 18, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.