Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I want to study Law, shpuld i go for Liverpool or should i aim higher such as Durham and Newcastle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asos98)
    I want to study Law, shpuld i go for Liverpool or should i aim higher such as Durham and Newcastle?
    A few of my sister's friends go to Uni of Liverpool and they absolutely LOVE it, one studies law there. Newcastle nightlife is also meant to be fab!

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool is an excellent university to allow you to access the Russell Group with lower entry requirements. Its requirements are only ABB for Law, which is fantastic. However, it is commonly regarded as one of the worst of the Russell Group, and league tables put it near the top 40 for Law, which is surprisingly poor.

Obviously universities like Durham, Bristol, even Birmingham, are better, but if you can't get into those then Liverpool is a good choice because you will be able to use the prestige of the Russell Group name.

I might apply to Liverpool as a backup option.

ReputationRep:
    Very brave of you to ask that question on TSR, be prepared for loads of people to tell you that Liverpool is awful.

(It's not awful at all, it's a really good uni and I'm sure you'd enjoy it there if you went there. You could certainly do a lot worse.)

ReputationRep:
    I just don't get it. Why does Liverpool get so much of hate at TSR? Is it because of the city? The Uni is redbrick and a russell group which means it better than the average unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Freakout)
    I just don't get it. Why does Liverpool get so much of hate at TSR? Is it because of the city? The Uni is redbrick and a russell group which means it better than the average unis.
    Because the majority of people that spout that stuff on TSR are sweaty kids who are yet to take their GCSEs that believe if you don't get 15+ A*s or go to Oxbridge then you're a failure and have nothing to live for.

Everyone that has an ounce of sense knows that's not true. Liverpool is a good uni. It's not the best, and it's defintely not the worst. It's better than a lot of other unis. That's all that really needs to be said.

ReputationRep:
    I had the same doubts, but then I visited Liverpool and absolutely loved the city, it is amazing, very interesting and a great modernity and history, perfect size and not to mention cheap!

I also visited Birmingham, it is a good city but doesn't even come close to Liverpool!

The uni is great too, very polite people and I really liked the happy atmosphere there, so I firmed Liverpool!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzanomics)
    Because the majority of people that spout that stuff on TSR are sweaty kids who are yet to take their GCSEs that believe if you don't get 15+ A*s or go to Oxbridge then you're a failure and have nothing to live for.

Everyone that has an ounce of sense knows that's not true. Liverpool is a good uni. It's not the best, and it's defintely not the worst. It's better than a lot of other unis. That's all that really needs to be said.
    Ha, that's so funny!

I didn't even know Liverpool had the prestige of Russell Group/redbrick when I first joined the uni in 2008. It has certainly helped me since, though; being a 'RG graduate' comes with a lot of prestige and has worked in my favour many a time. People see 'University of' on your CV and they don't sit there googling league tables for hours. Simply saying 'Russell Group' gets you far. (I worked in HR in London after university so I know..) For me personally, I prefer a more 'down to earth' university anyway. The pressure of the top redbricks would put me off. Liverpool is such a beautiful, creative city, and UoL comes with the Russell Group prestige (regardless of where it sits in 'tables' which I hate anyway..) so what more could you really ask for!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Articles:

University of Liverpool Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Quick links:

Unanswered University of Liverpool ThreadsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other Liverpool applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.