Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am going to be sitting my highers after the summer and am considering buying some books to help me through them. The problem is they are based around the old higher subjects. Just how different are the old highers from the new ones and is it worth it to buy old higher books?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scott.thomson239)
    I am going to be sitting my highers after the summer and am considering buying some books to help me through them. The problem is they are based around the old higher subjects. Just how different are the old highers from the new ones and is it worth it to buy old higher books?
    It depends on the subject, so biology was changed entirely whereas physics altered a little less. Honestly though there has been so many little new things introduced that if you are already going to buy a textbook then I suggest the new ones.
    You can always compare the old and new course specifications on the SQA site if you want a more in depth view

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scott.thomson239)

The amount of change really depends on the subject. What subjects are you doing?

For the most part, you should try and get new higher books where you can. But depending on the subject, the Old Higher book can sometimes be useful.

ReputationRep:
    You'll know they are the new Higher textbooks if they say "CfE" on the textbook. Some of the new Higher subjects are actually slightly easier than the old higher. Some are harder because some Advanced Higher content has been moved down into the Higher course for example Biology.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.