Turn on thread page Beta

Foreigner:'ahh you english! Special discount'. watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if this happens to people but I'm pretty offended that anyone from Britain is english when you go to places like Turkey. I'm proud of being Scottish and English not me.

Do any Welsh or other Scots get this?

No offence to English folk here, I love you guys but I'm loyal to Scotland.

Tell me your opinions!

ReputationRep:
    dont get offended so easily :confused:

ReputationRep:
    My arse.
    British would be better, they just judge everyone as English.

Mind you, everyone is getting the bad rep from Tony B.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I find people dislike us when they think we're English. Then as soon as they find out we're scottish, they can't get enough of us .

ReputationRep:
    I might be in this mood because when I was in the middle-east when the war started, at the border of Irag. People shunned us, and insulted us through 'english, no good'(censored).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daibhidh)
    I might be in this mood because when I was in the middle-east when the war started, at the border of Irag. People shunned us, and insulted us through 'english, no good'(censored).
    I can understand your annoyance, I'd be annoyed if everyone thought I was Scottish (no offence to the scots). But then again whenever I go to American they think I'm australian!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daibhidh)
    ehh what do you expect?

ReputationRep:
    LOL I've been mistaken for an Irish person too

(Original post by Shane_Filan)
    u iz makin that up so u feel betta - mos ppl don distinguish between england and britan as britan is the main place!

Scotland iz a colony
    Scotland is not a colony. Get your facts right, including the fact that Tony Blair isn't Scottish, he was just educated here. But please, before you even do that, learn how to type properly.

Daibhidh, I've heard of a lot of Brits (Scottish and English) being mistaken for Americans in the middle east, and it's caused a lot of problems for them.

ReputationRep:
    Ever heard of the Battle of Stirling Bridge? Or the Battle of Bannockburn? Or did you skip history lessons as well as English?

ReputationRep:
    The English have never conquered Scotland. The fact that you refer to Mel Gibson in that way just shows how ignorant you are of Scottish history.

ReputationRep:
    the thing is... foreigners dont really care much for Scotland.

they just clump you all together with us.

who this is bad for, it is hard to say

ReputationRep:
    ye but u didnt last very long did u? didnt take long to be beaten! u cud av made it mor difficult for us - u ad mel gibson!
    You really have no knowledge of British history do you? The two nations combined with the act of Union in 1707 after having been ruled by the Scottish Royal family since James VI/I. I don't even consider myself Scottish, but when someone has such flagrant ignorance of history you just have to step in.

ReputationRep:
    o ye so scotland is an indepenant state?

lol u cud at least admit u are completely controlled by tha brits
    But Scots are Brits...

ReputationRep:
    Completely controlled by the Brits? Scots are Brits.
    Scotland is a partially devolved country with its own parliament, education system, justice system, currency to an extent, religious system etc. etc. That's also possibly the main reason why Scotland and England were never properly joined.
    A colony is something completely different. A colony is either a group of emigrants or their descendants who settle in a distant territory but remain subject to or closely associated with the parent country.
    or territory thus settled.
    or region politically controlled by a distant country; a dependency.

Scotland has not been settled by English people therefore it is not the first two, and as for the last one, Scotland is not politically controlled by England. Scotland as part of Britain decides British affairs at Westminster, and controls itself via Holyrood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    the thing is... foreigners dont really care much for Scotland.

they just clump you all together with us.

who this is bad for, it is hard to say
    Have you never heard of Tartan Day in the US?

ReputationRep:
    now, ye, we control them
    You aren't making any sense... British is the term for those living in the United Kingdom of Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales. Scotland is a part of the UK and thus people living in Scotland are Brits.

ReputationRep:
    so da capital moved to edinburgh and most of da new parliamentarians and aristocracy were Scottish?

gotcha
    No, James VI preferred London as a city, so kept that as the main seat of government. The capital didn't move to Edinburgh, the capital is and always was (well since it was Stirling or Perth or Dunfermline or Arbroath or the other places in the olden olden days) Edinburgh. The UK has four capitals: London, Edinburgh, Cardiff and Belfast. England has more parliamentarians because it has a higher population. Scottish clan cheiftains etc. were given aristocratic titles after Culloden in quite a high proportion (to buy them off). So quite a lot of them were Scottish actually. You just have to look at today's Westminster parliament to see that: Scottish educated PM, Scottish chancellor, Scottish Lib Dem leader; the Tories don't have many Scots (because there's none left up here), but they've always got Malcolm Rifkind.

ReputationRep:
    but it wudnt be britan if it wasnt all one state...and it wudnyt be one state if u werent governed from London
    And...? If it was governed from Swansea would that make us all Welsh? If it moved around from month to month would our nationality change accordingly?

ReputationRep:
    That would be fun!

they pretend they is scottish cos they think thats betta than being english (we controlled them too once - u can empathise with each other)
    Well we can certainly type better if you are a prime example of your species. (I apologise to all good typers south of the border. But when you get me in a grumpy mood and evoke my patriotism I'm going to come out with remarks like that).

ReputationRep:
    but england is tha dominant country so are governed from there.

it wud neva change

England is not the dominant country. We are partially governed from there because that is the historical capital of the United Kingdom. Not because you are in the slightest bit dominant or superior.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2004
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.