Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently applying for GEM for 2017 entry at Liverpool. I really want to apply to Newcastle too, but I am struggling to find funding to live away from home. If anyone knows any suggestions for accommodation and maintenance funding, I would appreciate the help.

ReputationRep:
    You can reapply for student finance. They give a maintenance loan and top up course fees. (As it stands 1st year GEM student self funds the first £3450 (or something around about that) and student finance will top up the rest, 2nd - 4th years it's split between NHS and SFE). And you can apply for maintainance. Yeah it means more student debt to probably add to what's left of your undergrad, but there's no way if be able to even consider GEM without it.

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou, that really helps. Do you know how much the maintenance loan is, would it be enough to live on and pay accommodation costs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GDHope)
    I am currently applying for GEM for 2017 entry at Liverpool. I really want to apply to Newcastle too, but I am struggling to find funding to live away from home. If anyone knows any suggestions for accommodation and maintenance funding, I would appreciate the help.
    If you google "graduate entry medicine funding" you will find all the answers. Honestly, there are loads of resources out there, just do your research.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JenniB22)
    If you google "graduate entry medicine funding" you will find all the answers. Honestly, there are loads of resources out there, just do your research.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thankyou, I have done loads of research, but as far as Im aware I am not eligible to alot of funding, especially Newcastle University Scholarships as it is my second degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GDHope)
    Thankyou, that really helps. Do you know how much the maintenance loan is, would it be enough to live on and pay accommodation costs?
    If you go onto the student finance website, you can use the calculator. From what I worked out, I'd get approx £4500 a year.. Which isn't enough to live on, but would cover accommodation (somewhere cheap) and some bank work where I can would sort the rest out. It's not ideal, but studying GEM was never going to be easy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.