Turn on thread page Beta

American looking at grad school in the UK- please help watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am graduating from Uni this upcoming winter and would like to go to grad school in the UK. This is a problem because I really do not know anything about the Universities in the UK other than knowing a few of the top schools. I will graduate with a 3.5GPA (out of 4.0) which is pretty good, but not stellar. In order to get into the top grad schools in the US (Harvard, etc…) you need to have about a 3.7. Thus I do not think I would be able to get into any of the top schools in the UK. Also my University is pretty well respected (currently ranked 27th in the US) but it is a public school.

So, here is what I am looking for and perhaps you all can offer me some advice.

1) I want to go to school in a castle

2) A good school, but not one of the top schools. I don’t know if this is true, but I hear a lot of the top schools are kind of elitists and look down on people who come from public schools.

3) I want to study international relations

4) I want to live in a cool city, but not a city that is super expensive. It would be nice if they had a pro football team there.

So if you have any possible Universities to recommend please do so and I will look into them!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    St. Andrew's sounds perfect for you, except it's not in a city.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, thats the one in Edinburgh where the Prince went to school, right?

Also the famous golf course! that would be nice.......

ReputationRep:
    It's not in Edinburgh. It's in a town of the same name, which I hear is very small from friends that went there. However, there is Edinburgh University, which I think is decent in politics as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kondar)
    I am graduating from Uni this upcoming winter and would like to go to grad school in the UK. This is a problem because I really do not know anything about the Universities in the UK other than knowing a few of the top schools. I will graduate with a 3.5GPA (out of 4.0) which is pretty good, but not stellar. In order to get into the top grad schools in the US (Harvard, etc…) you need to have about a 3.7. Thus I do not think I would be able to get into any of the top schools in the UK. Also my University is pretty well respected (currently ranked 27th in the US) but it is a public school.

So, here is what I am looking for and perhaps you all can offer me some advice.

2) A good school, but not one of the top schools. I don’t know if this is true, but I hear a lot of the top schools are kind of elitists and look down on people who come from public schools.

4) I want to live in a cool city, but not a city that is super expensive. It would be nice if they had a pro football team there.

So if you have any possible Universities to recommend please do so and I will look into them!

Thanks
    No university in the United Kingdom is going to meet all of your requirements, but St Andrews may be close to a match. A few general points:

1. You should definitely apply to top schools in the UK, including the LSE, St Andrews, Oxford, etc. Most of these programs are very specialized, though, so perhaps it would be beneficial to consider your specific interests and choose accordingly. St Andrews excels at security studies, terrorism studies, Middle East studies, political theory, etc.

2. St Andrews has a minimum entry requirement of 3.6 cumulative GPA. You may have to write an outstanding personal statement or distinguish yourself in some other way to gain entry.

3. UNC is a great school that wouldn’t be frowned upon by any of the top programs. As for IR at St Andrews, the postgraduate community is diverse. I'd say it's a mix of 5% Scottish, 20% English, 25% European, and 50% somewhere else. US students come from a number of private schools including: Georgetown, Harvard, Stanford, Penn, Brown, Columbia, Princeton, Tufts, Williams, Amherst, and quite a few others. Public schools, to include UVA, Berkeley, Texas, etc., are also well represented. In short, you'd be fine.

And for your specific questions:

1. The castle thing is covered...most of St Andrews looks right out of a Harry Potter movie.

2. St Andrews is a top school, but postgraduates tend to be the opposite of elitist.

3. They have an independent school of IR with a number of postgraduate programs...check.

4. St Andrews is very small and expensive. Golf is the big sport, but the university's facilities are used by the Barcelona football team for training. I would assume, then, that you might find a few football players wandering about.

ReputationRep:

4) I want to live in a cool city*, but not a city that is super expensive. It would be nice if they had a pro football team there.

* (fifteen minutes away on the train, easy to get there when you want)

ReputationRep:

Thanks

Hahahahaha that's the funniest thing I've read all day!

Now I feel mean for mocking you so I will try and help as much as I can.

For castle esque Universties try St Andrews, Durham, Edinburgh (not a castle but is very lovely) and Royal Holloway (it's not in a city but it's near London.)

ReputationRep:
    You should consider LSE. It's not in a castle but it's excellent for students of your league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lorrybeep)
    You should consider LSE. It's not in a castle but it's excellent for students of your league.
    LSE doesn't fit very many of the OP's criteria:

"1) I want to go to school in a castle" - LSE is one of the universities that least resembles a castle that I can think of...

"2) A good school, but not one of the top schools." - For IR LSE will be in the top 10...

"4) I want to live in a cool city, but not a city that is super expensive."
    - London is expensive... very expensive...

ReputationRep:
    University College, Durham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...lege%2C_Durham

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone!! I am checking them all out. In the end I would like to have about 15 schools to chose from so if you know of any that are not listed, please let me know.

My GPA is not quite a 3.5 (realistically I will probably graduate with a 3.45-3.47) so I am thinking that I have an equivalent of a 2.2 in the UK?? Is this good? ok? pretty good? Do I still stand a chance of getting into these schools?

Thanks for all the info so far

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cage)
    University College, Durham

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Univers...lege%2C_Durham
    What I was going to say, you won't get any more castle like, even in Oxbridge

I should think a good degree from UNC - Chapel Hill would be able to get you into a graduate programme at most universities over here.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Royal Holloway is another, though more of a Chateau

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone!! I am checking them all out. In the end I would like to have about 15 schools to chose from so if you know of any that are not listed, please let me know.

My GPA is not quite a 3.5 (realistically I will probably graduate with a 3.45-3.47) so I am thinking that I have an equivalent of a 2.2 in the UK?? Is this good? ok? pretty good? Do I still stand a chance of getting into these schools?

Thanks for all the info so far
    No, that's about a 2:1, if a low one. IIRC it's 3.3 for a 2:1, 3.7 for a first. So, yeah, you'd have a good chance of getting into one of them. Roughly speaking, a first is excellent, a 2:1 is slightly above average, a 2:2 slightly below average, and a third is...not great.

ReputationRep:
    Hogwarts does not exist in real life, you know!

ReputationRep:
    With the GPA thing, what's considered a 2:1 seems to vary according to the different unis, but most of them specify on their website, hence you're probably best looking at their individual pages! LES seem to have 3.5 as their general minimum, and they're one of the best. nottingham (my own uni) says 3.2! Although obviously some courses are more competitive than others and hence may want higher.

And I wouldn't worry about going to a public university- pretty much all uk unis are public so I can't see they'd look down on it that much?

Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.