Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    B1030 - Employment Advertising Bill 2016, the Hon. barnetlad MP

Employment Advertising Bill 2016

A BILL TO

Require a salary range to be quoted in Employment Advertising

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

A. Definitions

1. 'Employment Advertising' shall mean where employment is advertised as available for one or more persons to start employment within the following 12 months, regardless of the physical or digital media used.

B. Employment Advertising

1. All advertising for employment, regardless of the length of the contract, shall specify a salary level or range.
    2. This may be expressed as a rate per hour, or for contracts over 7 hours per week or 30 hours per month, as a weekly, monthly or annual salary.
    3. The rate quoted should be for the minimum contractual hours, and not include the value of any overtime, commission, or non-financial benefits.

C. Penalties

1. Should any employer be found guilty of an offence under this Bill, the maximum fine will be £20,000 per offence.
    2. A court may additionally restrict the employer advertising vacancies on media other than the local job centre for a period of up to 12 months.

D.Title, Extent and Commencement of Bill

1. This Bill shall be known as the Employment Advertising Bill 2016
    2. This Bill shall apply to England and Wales
    3. This Bill shall take effect from 1 October 2016.

Notes
    The purpose of this Bill is to help avoid a lower salary being offered to a person because of gender or another personal characteristic, given that the average wage of women for full-time work is lower than men. It seeks transparency.

By advertising the salary, this prevents time wasted in the selection process if a person will not work for a particular salary.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I don't really see how this changes anything, because a range given, say from £70,000 to £90,000 could be reasonable dependant on skills/experience. I also don't see where there's a limit to range. Why couldn't they advertise from £20,000 to £90,000?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Political Ambassador
    Aye, seems reasonable.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    Aye, seems reasonable.
    You mean, despite the Bill actually being 100% redundant...?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    I don't really see how this changes anything, because a range given, say from £70,000 to £90,000 could be reasonable dependant on skills/experience. I also don't see where there's a limit to range. Why couldn't they advertise from £20,000 to £90,000?
    This.

Nay from me.

ReputationRep:
    I like the idea of this, but as mobbsy points out it doesn't really work in practice. I would be more interested in making employers publish the range of wages paid to employees in a similar role, as this factual information is more beneficial to an applicant judging whether they believe an offer of employment terms is fair or not - someone with little experience would likely be accepting of a wage lower in the range, but someone who does have previous experience and strong qualifications may be more likely to question it. Part of the gender wage gap is caused by men being more willing to challenge and negotiate wages based on what they believe they're worth, but providing more information to help in that judgement would I believe help to close it somewhat.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I like the idea but have to agree with mobbsy, Joe and Saoirse...

Nay from me.

ReputationRep:
    I think this bill has good intentions but is unfortunately flawed and would not work in practice as has been pointed out above. As such it'll be a no from me.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    At the moment, I will be voting abstain. I agree with the principle but I'm just not sure how effective this will be in tackling the problem of prejudice.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I see little need for the state to intervene here. If an individual wishes to apply for a job with no specified salary or an employer is willing to negotiate for the right candidate then that is their prerogative.

This legislation is not required.

ReputationRep:
    I welcome the comments and will reflect on whether or not these can be part of a second reading.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    No

If this is the status quo it is redundant, if it is not the status quo I do not believe it should be.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nay. Executive level positions rarely have a salary publicly advertised. I might consider voting otherwise if you introduced a threshold at which this no longer applied (say, above £100k/annum).

ReputationRep:
    Noble idea to protect future employees, but its too intrusive. Its another bill that will require more regulation and bureaucracy to enforce.

A 20,000 GBP pentalty is a great way to suffocate any entrepeneurship effort or middle class business.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill is in cessation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    This bill has been withdrawn.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 20, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.