Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Night terrors or something else? "Choking" at night. watch

ReputationRep:
    It's happened a few times years ago but it's been happening a lot recently.

I abruptly wake up in the middle of the night thinking that I've swallowed something. I can sort of feel it, that it is stuck in my throat. I then think I'm about to die that second, I'm afraid I'll choke and die. I usually get on my knees or I sit up and try to cough it up, and sometimes I'll scream terrified. It takes me a little while to fully wake up even if someone reassures me that it's a dream. I don't wake up breathless at all, I can breath fine when I wake up; sometimes the thing that actually wakes me is when I realise I am breathing just fine so I can't be choking to death. I'll find my heart is beating rapidly and I'm breathing heavily but from anxiety, not gasping for air.

Once in Japan I thought I had swallowed chopsticks and my friend had to reassure me it wasn't possible and that I wasn't going to die. I eventually calmed down and rapidly fell asleep again.

I am not stressed about anything at all, in fact, life is relaxing a the moment, I am on holidays and having an amazing time. Is it night terrors? has anyone experienced this?

ReputationRep:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Choking+sensation+nightmare

ReputationRep:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Choking+in+dream

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Fenice. I did think of sleeping apnea but I barely have any of the symptoms for it... by what I am told, I don't snore and my breathing is normal and regular at night. Also, most things I've read say apnea is more about grasping for air than the feeling of a physical object stuck in your throat. Of course I would visit my GP if it keeps happening just to be sure, but I highly doubt it is sleeping apnea.

ReputationRep:
    up!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.