The Student Room Group

For Medics: Any good books?

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by funky386
Hi people of TSR, do you lot know of any good books that you've read related to medicine that you would recommend to someone applying for medicine this year?

Does anyone know of any good and advanced pharmacology or physiology books as they are important, sound interesting and as I haven't delved into it much yet?

Muchas gracias

I personally wouldnt reccomend starting delving into textbooks on physiology and pharmacology, its much more important you focus on your A2 level studies rather than reading so far ahead, plus its not reccomended to self teach yourself much before starting medicine as your course may want you to learn things in certain ways with certain amounts of background knowledge. So I would advise staying away from medical textbooks, if you really want something textbook style have a look at concise human body, has some good stuff in and I remember being able to find this at my college library, so its not to advanced.

For medicine your better reading into more of the ethical side or into the history of the NHS as it is much more relevant to your interview. At Interview I was asked nothing which required any scientific knowledge, it was all about the NHS, my work experience, my hobbies and medicine in the news. I really reccomend 'Do no harm' by Henry Marsh, great book! Also the 'selfish gene' by Richard Dawkins is a great read. 'The rise and fall of modern medicine' by James Le Fanu was a brilliant resource for me when learning about the past triumphs in medicine, I was also asked about aspects I had found in this book at interview and it made for a great talking point,
Reply 2
Hi people of TSR, do you lot know of any good books that you've read related to medicine that you would recommend to someone applying for medicine this year?

Does anyone know of any good and advanced pharmacology or physiology books as they are important, sound interesting and as I haven't delved into it much yet?

Muchas gracias

Eeek I can think of nothing worse than delving into Rang and Dale or Boron (pharmacology and physiology respectively), but whatever floats your boat...

There's no need to read any academic textbooks. The whole point of the medicine course is for you to learn this stuff in a proper, structured way so you're just wasting your time reading about a random element in your free time. Instead read some pop science and pop medicine books, there's loads out there now. In addition to what has been suggested before, an honorary mention for Max Pemberton's books as well as Atul Gawande.

Also Ben Goldacre, but he's a lot more academic and heavy going (still very readable though) than those previously mentioned.

Or read some classic literature. I recommend 1984 by Orwell if you haven't read it...

Muchas gracias

When breath becomes air -Paul Kalanithi.

:cry2:

Also ditto on the don't read any textbooks above.
Reply 4
Original post by hslakaal
When breath becomes air -Paul Kalanithi.

:cry2:

Also ditto on the don't read any textbooks above.

Would recommend this book a million times, and a million times more. NHS Plc is a good one, but might make you a bit cynical in interview. Don't read textbooks or the House of God. Textbooks because I've done my pharmacology degree and I still find the books ridiculously dense.

Muchas gracias

Hola :smile:

We've got a great little Medicine reading list from a student who successfully got a place to study in the most recent application cycle. Check it out here:

Good Reads: A Medicine Reading List

We also would recommend reading Richard Lehman's Weekly Review in the BMJ. It's pretty funny and gives a great insight into scientific/medical journals!

Hope you find the above interesting!

The Medic Portal
Reply 6
Do No Harm by Henry Marsh is interesting :smile:

Written by a top neurosurgeon, who, in all honesty, I didn't particularly like, but gives a good insight into medicine and how it's changed, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending