Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which University leauge table is more reliable - The Times or The Guiardian (for medicine).

(Original post by lucaz)
    Which University leauge table is more reliable - The Times or The Guiardian (for medicine).
    The one which places KCL the highest.

ReputationRep:
    I can't really judge which is better. I think the guardian is better as I always read their website and stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I read the Guardian more, but on this question I have to give a resounding vote to The Times. The Guardian tables are complete shite...where are Bristol and Cambridge in the Top 10 for Chemistry?...two of the top departments in the country. Why is Oxford top for Computer Science...ahead of places like Cambridge/Imperial/Warwick/York? I can't comment on the arts subjects, since it's harder to rate them, but the science tables at least are positively whacked.

(Original post by Squishy)
    I read the Guardian more, but on this question I have to give a resounding vote to The Times. The Guardian tables are complete shite...where are Bristol and Cambridge in the Top 10 for Chemistry?...two of the top departments in the country. Why is Oxford top for Computer Science...ahead of places like Cambridge/Imperial/Warwick/York? I can't comment on the arts subjects, since it's harder to rate them, but the science tables at least are positively whacked.
    LOL :rolleyes:

*Ponders why there is no "they are both politically biased, discriminative shite" option?!?* :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leekey)
    LOL :rolleyes:

*Ponders why there is no "they are both politically biased, discriminative shite" option?!?* :confused:
    Well, one is the lesser of two evils. :rolleyes:

(Original post by Squishy)
    Well, one is the lesser of two evils. :rolleyes:
    If your going to use any of the statistics properly then you should ignore the rankings within the respective tables. In my opinion the only useful statisctics held by these two tables at undergrad level are the average grade entry points and the destinations figures, the use of both is however severely limited. In my opinion The Times subject tables are infact weaker than The Guardian because they include RAE scores with a significant weighting which I feel is largely irrelevant to undergrad level. I feel that The Guardians effort is at least a genuine attempt review the courses at undergrad level fairly and without the bias towards established institutions held by The Times. In my opinion the best overall table is the Sunday Times version which on the whole includes relevant information with more appropriate weightings that either The Times or The Guardian.

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian is just plain ****, I tell you.

ReputationRep:
    I look at the Guardian league table seeing as it's far more colourful, and well set out compared to the Times one. Yes things like this matter to me.

ReputationRep:
    I find the guardian is based far too much on value added therefore if a university only accepts the best it will score lower in the table becasue less can be added so i prefer the times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cobra01977)
    I find the guardian is based far too much on value added therefore if a university only accepts the best it will score lower in the table becasue less can be added so i prefer the times
    I prefer the Times, the Guardian's table is silly, but then again most tables are. Gnostic probably likes the FT & the Guardian - KCL is ranked 10?!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc University rankings the table of tables.doc (85.0 KB, 105 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by waiting2smile)
    I prefer the Times, the Guardian's table is silly, but then again most tables are. Gnostic probably likes the FT & the Guardian - KCL is ranked 10?!
    Cool, where did you get that document from? Thanks it's very helpful

ReputationRep:
    The Guardian league tables are a disgrace, resulting in a new wealth of comedy propaganda. Middlesex Uni now boasts on all it's promo material that it's a "Top 20 university", when any sensible table puts it about 80th.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkfairy)
    Interesting data. How the hell is LSE rated 23rd by employers though? It's a career factory.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinkfairy)
    Do you know I have absolutely no idea. I found it in my older sister's folder - I think she may have got it off my head of year. The Employers stats are er...quite amusing.

ReputationRep:
    A very interesting measure of employability is in The Times' subjects tables this year. It gives you the % of students who go into degree-level jobs upon graduation, i.e. ones you need a degree for. For law/medicine it's 90% at the top places, for non-vocational arts subjects it's about 80% at the top places, 60-70% at decent unis, and drops below 50% at the bottom of some subject tables.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.