The Student Room Group

Bmo 2 2015, q2

Anyone with some hints to tackle this? I thought i was making some progress , but am back to square one

https://bmos.ukmt.org.uk/home/bmo2-2015.pdf
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

moved this to the maths forum for you :smile:
If you're still having trouble, a common strategy for showing one set is bigger than another is to show there is an injective map between them.

I've left my solution if you wanted to take a look. I can't promise it's definitely correct.

Spoiler

(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by MadChickenMan
If you're still having trouble, a common strategy for showing one set is bigger than another is to show there is an injective map between them.

I've left my solution if you wanted to take a look. I can't promise it's definitely correct.

Spoiler

thanks man, thats a really neat solution

Spoiler

Damn i cant see it mate.
Mind reposting this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Spoiler

Very impressive though this stuff is beyond me
Original post by physicsmaths
Damn i cant see it mate.
Mind reposting this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Here it is again. Let me know if you still can't see it.
BMO2 2015 Q2.pdf
Here it is again. Let me know if you still can't see it.
BMO2 2015 Q2.pdf

Can't see it either time, probably an issue with the phone app

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by drandy76
Can't see it either time, probably an issue with the phone app

Posted from TSR Mobile

Typed it out on here, so hopefully you can see it now :smile:

We will show b) \Rightarrow a) and then, since the contrapositive of a) \Rightarrow b) is exactly the same argument, only interchanging boys and girls, this will suffice.

Denote each pupil by pC×G×Np\in C\times G\times N, where C={1,2,,2m+1}C = \lbrace 1,2,\cdots,2m+1\rbrace denotes the class number, G={0,1}G = \lbrace 0,1\rbrace denotes the gender (0 0 representing female) and N={1,2,,n}N = \lbrace 1,2,\cdots,n\rbrace denotes the kthk^{\text{th}} female/male in a class. So p=(3,1,5)p=(3,1,5) means the 5th5^{\text{th}} male in the third class, for example.

Now define the function ff, such that

Unparseable latex formula:

\[ f((c,g,n)) = \begin{cases} (c,g',n) & \quad \text{if } (c,g',n) \in C\times G\times N\\ (c,g,n) & \quad \text{if } (c,g',n) \notin C\times G\times N\\ \end{cases}\][br]

Where g=1g'=1 if g=0g=0 and g=0g'=0 if g=1g=1.

For each way to form a school council out of an odd number of girls, apply the above function to each member of the school council, note that there is still exactly one member from each class. If the number of members unchanged by the function is even, because there are an odd number of classes, there must be an odd number of boys now. If the number was odd, then order the members by class number and then pick the member with the smallest cc that was not unchanged by the function and apply the function again (essentially reversing the change). Now there are an even number unchanged and so as before, an odd number of boys. It must be shown that the member with the smallest cc described above, can indeed be found. If it did not exist, then every member of the council would be unchanged by the function and so would have to belong to a class where there were more of their own gender. From the premise that there are an odd number of classes with more boys than girls, there must be an even number of girls, a contradiction.

This rather complex procedure induces a function on each version of the student council with an odd number of girls. The image of the function are the versions where there an odd number of boys. It suffices to check this function is injective. We can identify the members of the council that were unchanged by ff, since being unchanged is equivalent to their number nn being greater than the number of members of the opposite gender in their class. This allows us to identify if another element was changed and then changed back and which it was. In this way, there is a natural inverse to this function, since we can recover the original student council with an odd number of girls. This shows the function is injective and because there are an odd number of ways to chose the council, there must be more ways to form the student council with an odd number of boys. So we are done.
Reply 10

We will show b) \Rightarrow a) and then, since the contrapositive of a) \Rightarrow b) is exactly the same argument, only interchanging boys and girls, this will suffice.

Denote each pupil by pC×G×Np\in C\times G\times N, where C={1,2,,2m+1}C = \lbrace 1,2,\cdots,2m+1\rbrace denotes the class number, G={0,1}G = \lbrace 0,1\rbrace denotes the gender (0 0 representing female) and N={1,2,,n}N = \lbrace 1,2,\cdots,n\rbrace denotes the kthk^{\text{th}} female/male in a class. So p=(3,1,5)p=(3,1,5) means the 5th5^{\text{th}} male in the third class, for example.

\[ f((c,g,n)) = \begin{cases} (c,g',n) & \quad \text{if } (c,g',n) \in C\times G\times N\\ (c,g,n) & \quad \text{if } (c,g',n) \notin C\times G\times N\\ \end{cases}\][br]

For each way to form a school council out of an odd number of girls, apply the above function to each member of the school council, note that there is still exactly one member from each class. If the number of members unchanged by the function is even, because there are an odd number of classes, there must be an odd number of boys now. If the number was odd, then order the members by class number and then pick the member with the smallest cc that was not unchanged by the function and apply the function again (essentially reversing the change). Now there are an even number unchanged and so as before, an odd number of boys. It must be shown that the member with the smallest cc described above, can indeed be found. If it did not exist, then every member of the council would be unchanged by the function and so would have to belong to a class where there were more of their own gender. From the premise that there are an odd number of classes with more boys than girls, there must be an even number of girls, a contradiction.

This rather complex procedure induces a function on each version of the student council with an odd number of girls. The image of the function are the versions where there an odd number of boys. It suffices to check this function is injective. We can identify the members of the council that were unchanged by ff, since being unchanged is equivalent to their number nn being greater than the number of members of the opposite gender in their class. This allows us to identify if another element was changed and then changed back and which it was. In this way, there is a natural inverse to this function, since we can recover the original student council with an odd number of girls. This shows the function is injective and because there are an odd number of ways to chose the council, there must be more ways to form the student council with an odd number of boys. So we are done.

the thing is i didn't even consider trying to make a mapping between the two sets - again very nice solution

Very nice!
Problems 3 and 4 kn this paper were better though :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest