This time last year I was in China... Watch

rock_ten
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
...half way through a month of random solitary travelling there. I had a flight to Beijing, and one home from Hong Kong 4 weeks later. No accomodation booked anywhere, or any plans on how to get between the two cities. But it worked out better than I could have imagined. Well, apart from getting a bag stolen 2 hours before take-off on the way back, losing my camera with all the photos on it hahawned.

This year I'm doing ****-all. I don't know why. I guess there's a very high activation-energy to doing something like that, to committing to it. I only had the idea about 4 weeks before I went. It was mostly a case of trying to blank everything out, pretend nothing significant was happening, and press the button to order the flights. Then once there was no going back, it became very easy since I just had to go ahead and get everything sorted out.

Just do it. Wherever - but I can recommend China!

Wo xihuan wode si ge xingqi - wo yao ni qu dao Zhonguo

ho ho, my chinese is a bit ****ty. If you speak a bit of it there they love you, though.

Go somewhere cool, go alone ideally, and just improvise the whole thing. You can't go wrong. Planned itiniaries and organised tours etc, are a bit ghey tbh. Try taking it all as it comes, I bet you'll prefer it that way

--Joe
Kondar
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I feel ya man. Spent a year in China, did the whole pushing the buttons thing to make it happen. Just found a job on the net, bought a ticket, told my parents.. next thing I was standing at the airport saying goodbye.... it was a blast. :P
bluenoxid
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I was in Sydney this time last year. This year I am stacking shelves.
Angelil
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This time last year I was stuck behind a hotel reception desk with 2 weeks off to go to France. It sucked
This year I'm going to Paris for 2 months to live with my boyfriend and work (have been hunting for a job since Easter without success, reckon it will be easier once I'm there personally!). Looking forward to it...I leave tomorrow
rock_ten
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Kondar)
I feel ya man. Spent a year in China, did the whole pushing the buttons thing to make it happen. Just found a job on the net, bought a ticket, told my parents.. next thing I was standing at the airport saying goodbye.... it was a blast. :P
ownage. What was your job, teaching english? How did that work out for you? I'd be interested to hear anything about the trip at all, if you like writing about it

--Joe
Richy_Boi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Nice. Off to visit a mate in Hong Kong later this year.

Totally know what you mean. Got bored with life, sat down and ordered a ticket to Bangkok 3 weeks later. Some how I've ended up in Melbourne. Sweet as a pie.
Kondar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by rock_ten)
ownage. What was your job, teaching english? How did that work out for you? I'd be interested to hear anything about the trip at all, if you like writing about it

--Joe
Yeah, taught kindergarten 3 hours a day, 5 days a week. I lived in Hangzhou and really liked it. http://www.unc.edu/~ngullett/China.html

What all did you do?
eDDeboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
O Rly?
hannah_dru
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This time last year I was in Germany
Lemmiwinks
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This time last year I was in Madrid, this time this year I'm in bed from having been sent home from work with the flu...sigh...
Profesh
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Am I the only one that expected the next word after the pop-up pre-amble to be 'confinement'?

Cynicism aside, I commend your spontaneity.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever experienced bullying?

Yes (324)
77.33%
No (95)
22.67%

Watched Threads