Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so... I am confused and really need help since my school expects everyone to just know how everything is going to play out in year 11 without any guidance at all. Basically i need to know when i go into year 11 when do i start applying for college and of course it before u get ur results so they use predicted grades, do ur predicted grades matter as i kinda didnt do much in year 10 if that what they use. When do college interviews start and also does ur conduct record for year 10 play a big part in acceptance. Also when do u find out when you have been accepted. Overall can someone please please please explain the college process in year11 and the best ways to get in to the colleges this will be much appreciated. Also a few tips would be useful.
    Thank you☺

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure your school will explain all this to you at some point. You'll apply online via UCAS for most colleges now. It'll be around the beginning of October when you apply. Interviews vary from college to college, I had two in January. Your internal exams (mocks) will be sent to the colleges you apply for, but unless they're drastically below the required grade it isn't a big deal. You'll probably have mocks around November and January/February, at least that's what I had. Normally teachers/tutors will be writing you a reference, so best not behave too badly. My attendance was around 90% but I don't think anyone mentioned anything to the college. Hope this was helpful!

ReputationRep:
    Apply to colleges as soon as you can. Usually colleges close their applications in December/January. But I'm sure you will find some that are local to you that keep them open pretty much all the time.

Interviews usually happen after the deadline has closed. I had mine in February. Sometimes it's not even an interview as such (depending on the college you are applying for. Usually the 'better' colleges do a 1 to 1 interview). Sometimes there will just be an informal session where you can go and learn about the course and have the opportunity to ask questions.

Predicted grades kind of matter. I know for top colleges such as Greenhead in Huddersfield they ask for these from your teachers and also some kind of reference.

You usually find out if you have been accepted June/July/August time. Before your results. Sometimes colleges will accept you straight away. When I attended college, I applied, I got invited to a compulsory informal session, I filled in a form and then I got my offer. It usually depends on you getting specific grades then obviously A*-C in maths and English and altogther 5 A*-Cs.

I hope this helps a bit!

ReputationRep:
    (I'm assuming you mean sixth form college?) The application are usually after christmas, mine was January. They do require predicted grades, but the most recent ones you've been given so not nessecarily your year 10 ones, but the ones from the autumn term I assume as it's in winter.And just as a warning- some colleges look at attendance percentage and take that into consideration, so try not skip any school days this year (unless ill obviously) From then on the sixth form will contact you for an interview, which is super short and just talks about your hobbies, future plans and grades so don't worry. Just some advice- really really put your head down this year and revise every week, as cramming in all the information a week before the GCSEs doesn't work. If you start now, it'll be so much easier. And be sure to apply for more than one college, and go to their open evenings (which usually start september so you may want to check that out) and good luck! Enjoy your last year!

ReputationRep:
    I think it's important to have some idea where you want to go and what you want to do by the time year 11 starts, but if no then don't stress over it. Keep checking the websites of these places and apply when you need to, well before the deadline.

Systems for predicted grades vary by schools, but most will keep them constantly updating depending on end of topic tests and the sort. I know some people, including myself, who had theirs adjusted just before sending an application off so they can vary depending on how you're performing all the time. They are rather important as colleges will use them to decide upon your academic ability. However, the importance depends on where you are. D/Cs to C/Bs is a significant step. 5A*s and 5As to 10A*s doesn't matter too much. As long as they're 'good', with a fair spread of As, Bs and Cs, you'll be fine.

Your conduct, punctuality and attendance will usually be tick boxes on the form with percentages for attendance and punctuality written down. Most colleges just have a simple form and spaces for you to write about yourself. They usually don't require anything too taxing, such as a personal statement. Attendance and punctuality are important. Behaviour also matters but I don't know of many who don't get the best reference for behaviour anyway.

You will find out if you have a place after applications close, usually some time around March. You have until results day or even later to decide where you want to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ceilele)
    (I'm assuming you mean sixth form college?) The application are usually after christmas, mine was January. They do require predicted grades, but the most recent ones you've been given so not nessecarily your year 10 ones, but the ones from the autumn term I assume as it's in winter.And just as a warning- some colleges look at attendance percentage and take that into consideration, so try not skip any school days this year (unless ill obviously) From then on the sixth form will contact you for an interview, which is super short and just talks about your hobbies, future plans and grades so don't worry. Just some advice- really really put your head down this year and revise every week, as cramming in all the information a week before the GCSEs doesn't work. If you start now, it'll be so much easier. And be sure to apply for more than one college, and go to their open evenings (which usually start september so you may want to check that out) and good luck! Enjoy your last year!
    Thank you so much☺

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ceilele)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M451)
    I think it's important to have some idea where you want to go and what you want to do by the time year 11 starts, but if no then don't stress over it. Keep checking the websites of these places and apply when you need to, well before the deadline.

Systems for predicted grades vary by schools, but most will keep them constantly updating depending on end of topic tests and the sort. I know some people, including myself, who had theirs adjusted just before sending an application off so they can vary depending on how you're performing all the time. They are rather important as colleges will use them to decide upon your academic ability. However, the importance depends on where you are. D/Cs to C/Bs is a significant step. 5A*s and 5As to 10A*s doesn't matter too much. As long as they're 'good', with a fair spread of As, Bs and Cs, you'll be fine.

Your conduct, punctuality and attendance will usually be tick boxes on the form with percentages for attendance and punctuality written down. Most colleges just have a simple form and spaces for you to write about yourself. They usually don't require anything too taxing, such as a personal statement. Attendance and punctuality are important. Behaviour also matters but I don't know of many who don't get the best reference for behaviour anyway.

You will find out if you have a place after applications close, usually some time around March. You have until results day or even later to decide where you want to go.
    Thanks this was a massive help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M451)

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LDS16)
    I'm sure your school will explain all this to you at some point. You'll apply online via UCAS for most colleges now. It'll be around the beginning of October when you apply. Interviews vary from college to college, I had two in January. Your internal exams (mocks) will be sent to the colleges you apply for, but unless they're drastically below the required grade it isn't a big deal. You'll probably have mocks around November and January/February, at least that's what I had. Normally teachers/tutors will be writing you a reference, so best not behave too badly. My attendance was around 90% but I don't think anyone mentioned anything to the college. Hope this was helpful!
    Thanks alot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M451)

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahm_7866)
    Thank you
    You're welcome

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.