Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Even if you're not going to be aware of it, you are aware of what's going to happen now. You're not going to exist anywhere....EVER again.

It's like saying, can I shoot you now? You won't know it once you're dead!

*shivers at thought of being trapped in a coffin*
    Well I wouldn't like to be shot dead because I'm not depressed and enjoy living at the mo but you won't be aware of it when you are dead so all those frightening thoughts will vanish!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueAngel)
    cos I cant stand the pain, In waiting for Shane, cant love anyone else, so Im gonna be lonely for the rest of my life, so 20 is perfect to die at.
    shane will come to you! hes not blind! gosh - what hes missing out :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Lately I'm getting really scared. I get really uncomfortable when I think that one day I won't be here, I'll be buried somewhere, I won't know what's happening or anything. No more life, no more poeple I care about, no more interests, no more places to see...big dark empty void. And then I'm NEVER coming back, regardless of the technology and the new answers etc etc. I just won't be there to know it.

Am I going insane? I can't enjoy anything I'm so completely traumatised! Do any of you think like this? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe it's because after leaving school I feel like an adult and I have realised life is going by too quickly. I feel empty and horrid.
    Well I don't know how much this will comfort you but think of this - all we are made up of is atoms, nothing but atoms. In about 100 years after you die the atoms that make up what you call yourself will be distributed evenly throughout the population. Now think of this - you are a consious entity but you are only made of atoms therefore at some minute level atoms must be capable of consiousness when combined with another (I know it seems far fetched but its the only way to explain consiousness). Thus your consiousness will live on throughout the population (and plants, soil, etc) - its called Gaia theory (everything is one large organism).

Don't know how far you can believe it but still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    It seems you're worried about change as much as anything else, I often wish I could be 21 for ever. I have accepted that I am aging and getting closer to death each hour and day that passes. Like somebody said on this thread you won't be aware of it.
    Yeah I think so. It's when I left school that i started feeling this lonely emptiness and anxiety. Like, I'm no longer a kid. School kind of protected me, made everything really childish, was like a security.

I know it's silly but I wish I was back at school. I miss it so much.

ReputationRep:
    I want to die before Im 20.
    why blueangel :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Right your not allowed to laugh at me OR scoff! Basically I used to worry about the same thing brought on by home sickness when i was sent to boarding school when I was 7 and my mum brought me a book written by a medium (wether you believe it them or not) and he basically rationalised it all for me. It totally helped!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shane_Filan)
    I'm here babes

Go away fake Shane, leave me to be.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your support.

But really, death is something everyone is alone in...*sigh*

I doubt there's a magical mysterious way I can live forever. Even if I did, what's the point if all my loved ones don't? I just love everything too much to let it go. I can't bear the thought of even a friend dying.

I will never be bored of life - so much to do, so much to see! Hopefully when I'm older I'll lose my mind to such an extent that I won't really think about dying and hence it won't matter if I do. If it's gradual, I may be able to cope.
    You have to be the sweetest moderator ever, I think you're problem is that you are too nice.

Just don't let this worry of yours spoil your youth. Having said that I still think about death a lot more than sex.

ReputationRep:
    Lately I'm getting really scared. I get really uncomfortable when I think that one day I won't be here, I'll be buried somewhere, I won't know what's happening or anything. No more life, no more poeple I care about, no more interests, no more places to see...big dark empty void. And then I'm NEVER coming back, regardless of the technology and the new answers etc etc. I just won't be there to know it.

Am I going insane? I can't enjoy anything I'm so completely traumatised! Do any of you think like this? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe it's because after leaving school I feel like an adult and I have realised life is going by too quickly. I feel empty and horrid.
    Well I'm the opposite, I don't care whether I die or not, not in a morbid fashion or anything. However my greatest concern is my parents, I would want them to live right into an old age, I remeber when I was a child I wanted nothing more than to grow up and go places I wasn't really old enough to go into, but now that, that time has come, I'm somewhat concerned about my parents as they aren't going to be around forever, but that's life.

ReputationRep:
    It's a train of thought that everyone goes through at some point. You will get over it, but me saying that isn't going to help much. You've most likely got a long way to go yet, so try not to worry about it. It's the natural thing, and I think you're right not to delude yourself with thoughts of heaven and hell - David Hume made a funny comment about it when people came to see him on his deathbed, hoping he would make a 'deathbed conversion.' Wish I could remember it. Anyway, the best thing is probably to try and distract yourself somehow, and it'll pass.

BTW, where do I join the UKL philosophy society?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    shane will come to you! hes not blind! gosh - what hes missing out :rolleyes:

Oh my god, dats so sweet, you get rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chubb)
    Well I don't know how much this will comfort you but think of this - all we are made up of is atoms, nothing but atoms. In about 100 years after you die the atoms that make up what you call yourself will be distributed evenly throughout the population. Now think of this - you are a consious entity but you are only made of atoms therefore at some minute level atoms must be capable of consiousness when combined with another (I know it seems far fetched but its the only way to explain consiousness). Thus your consiousness will live on throughout the population (and plants, soil, etc) - its called Gaia theory (everything is one large organism).

Don't know how far you can believe it but still.
    I wish consciousness was more than that.

One other way to think of it is I suppose if you have children, that's a way for a part of you to live on.

But what does it matter? They are not ME. This universe exists because of ME. I can't imagine it without me.

ReputationRep:
    Lately I'm getting really scared. I get really uncomfortable when I think that one day I won't be here, I'll be buried somewhere...
    i agree, i've only just started to realise that i'm not immortal. i often think of how can a world possibly exist outside my consciousness - where will it go when i die and will all thoughts just disappear or will we be locked in eternity.

i'm not religious but have decided to dismiss these thoughts as we're too young to be even considering death (i hope!)

ReputationRep:
    My dads parents moaned how they are dying since they were in the late 50's, now their in their mid 80's and are literly at deaths corner they have stopped moaning about how they are going to die now

I think old people just accept it, you slow down a lot as well so its easier to accept when you're in a bit of pain etc.
    They had you pretty late then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    why blueangel :confused:

I answered that In the first page, sorry I cant be assed repeating, it hurts.

ReputationRep:
    You have to be the sweetest moderator ever, I think you're problem is that you are too nice.

Just don't let this worry of yours spoil your youth. Having said that I still think about death a lot more than sex.
    LOL! no i doubt all this makes me nice, it just makes me a lunatic! Thanks though

I try so hard not to think of this, but like when I'm trying to get to sleep and it's so quiet and dark, I get really scared. My mind goes all over the place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    They had you pretty late then
    eh? My dad was 30 and my mum was 26 when I was born:confused:

ReputationRep:
    I answered that In the first page, sorry I cant be assed repeating, it hurts.
    Thats cool i found it. Who else do you like apart from Shane Filan?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    i agree, i've only just started to realise that i'm not immortal. i often think of how can a world possibly exist outside my consciousness - where will it go when i die and will all thoughts just disappear or will we be locked in eternity.

i'm not religious but have decided to dismiss these thoughts as we're too young to be even considering death (i hope!)
    Hehehe I know. I keep saying to myslef, I'm so young yet. But...time flies!!!!

ReputationRep:
    LOL! no i doubt all this makes me nice, it just makes me a lunatic! Thanks though

I try so hard not to think of this, but like when I'm trying to get to sleep and it's so quiet and dark, I get really scared. My mind goes all over the place.
    I think it will hopefully pass, I used to be the same, but I realised it was making me unhappy. The best thing you can do is live life to the full, then at least you have enjoyed what little time we have.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.