Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    So death isn't really the end, or maybe I'm just chatting a load of bollox to pass the time, whilst the bathroom is still in use, but then again most of what I said in the right frame of mind makes sense and is logical, and before any of you crazy suicidal people ask, no I'm not crazy nor do I share any of your morbid fascinations.
    I'm not a crazy suicidal person

IMO death is the end fo my life, I don't believe in heaven or hell and i don't believe in anything else either.

You get one life and only one shot at it. You should do as much as you can with that opportunity. We live privilidged lives and take too much for granted (sp).

we have a bathroom and a shower room

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    I have two toilets. What are we talking about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)
    We live privilidged lives and take too much for granted (sp).

Lol just gotta love the tag-on after that little homily
    I'm currently waiting for the bathroom too. *random*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zapsta)
    I have two toilets. What are we talking about?
    He was waiting to go in the bathroom.

We also have a toilet in each and also taps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by me!)

He was waiting to go in the bathroom.

We also have a toilet in each and also taps
    Oh. My shower and bath are all in one room. *Feels poor*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I wish consciousness was more than that.

One other way to think of it is I suppose if you have children, that's a way for a part of you to live on.

But what does it matter? They are not ME. This universe exists because of ME. I can't imagine it without me.
    this is probably some sort of philisophical idea or something but.. what the hell? the universe does not exist because of you, what a selfish thought!

think of all the people who have never heard of you.
    you are insignificant; practically no one will care when you, or I die - but that doesnt mean the universe should stop. think of all those people who want to continue their lives !

however, i dont think your problem is with death, but more with how fast your life is going past. i can still remember a day in year 7 in secondary school when my head of year was showing us a cigar. he said he would smoke it on our GCSE results day. i remember thinking how far in the future that would be but we're already two years past that! thats scary ****! but what can you do apart from living a good life? nothing!

when you die, i dont know what happens but i do believe in an afterlife. i think there will probably be a purgatory thats kinda like this life probably.

or maybe we get reincarnated, i really dont know.

never mind, eh!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kikzen)
    this is probably some sort of philisophical idea or something but.. what the hell? the universe does not exist because of you, what a selfish thought!
    I didn't mean it like that. I meant, it only matters because of you - if you are not there to experience it, then it doesn't matter whether it's there or not. The only way you are aware of its existence is because YOU exist. So yes in a sense the universe is here because of me, for me that is. For you it is only there/only matters because of you.

Anyway, forget this people - it's amazing what daylight/sunshine can do to you! I'm almost laughing at what I wrote last night.

I didn't mean it like that. I meant, it only matters because of you - if you are not there to experience it, then it doesn't matter whether it's there or not. The only way you are aware of its existence is because YOU exist. So yes in a sense the universe is here because of me, for me that is. For you it is only there/only matters because of you.

Anyway, forget this people - it's amazing what daylight/sunshine can do to you! I'm almost laughing at what I wrote last night.
    And after you deleted my lovley thread on death to!

ReputationRep:
    I haven't read all the new posts but just think, you could get your DNA preserved in a paperweight and hope that someone in the future clones you.

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/default.asp...bsectionid=753

I think I'd like to be buried so I can be found by archeologists in the future. i could be on Time Team!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by babyballerina)
    I haven't read all the new posts but just think, you could get your DNA preserved in a paperweight and hope that someone in the future clones you.

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/default.asp...bsectionid=753

I think I'd like to be buried so I can be found by archeologists in the future. i could be on Time Team!
    once is enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roseonthegrave)
    And after you deleted my lovley thread on death to!

Speaking of death, has anyone read "Mort" by Terry Pratchett?

I see where you're coming from, and I experienced a similar crisis myself last year. Infact, it ruined my whole summer since I lived life like a depressed idiot, wondering what the point of it all (life, death etc) wAs. This feeling was simultaneously accentuated and reduced after reading 'The Catcher in the Rye' (a book I definitely recommend)

Truthfully, it's taken a long time but I'm slowly realising that life/death etc. is like a journey. I'm not into the 'afterlife' or 'heaven/hell' ideas, being more the logical type. But honestly, NOBODY on this planet even has the faintest conception of what happens after death. It really is quite arbitrary if you think about it.

Like you I've just left school, and the thought fills me with some dread, although I'm sure the reality's not quite sunk in yet! It's a crucial time in your life, since you realise the transient nature of...well....everything really. I mean, in year 7, did you even contemplate the notion of one day finishing your A-levels, and going out in to the real world? To me, that was just a phantom point in the dim and distant future.

However, time catches up with you almost before you are ready for it. What with A-Levels, the last day at school, last ever lessons etc, it was as though I just got caught up in a whirlwind of events and didn't have time to digest and appreciate it all. And now I've left, and will probably not see many people I know really well again.

Yes, it's depressing for a while. Nevertheless, it's the same for everyone. We all get 'our time in the sun' as it were! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't afraid of death: deep down I think we all are(it's an unexplored phenomenon, and that makes humans nervous. But understanding the temporary nature of things certainly helps a great deal.

Basically, you're here for as long as you're here. You don't know when your time's going to be up. It could be 60 , 30, 10, 5 or even one year from now. It could even be tomorrow. And during your life you've established relationships, and care about so much and so many people. All you can do during your time on this earth is your best. Try to be happy and make a difference in people's lives. After all, there is very little we can acheive without other people, an having a positive impact on others is a great acheivement. One day you'll die. We all will.

And generations from now, your existence may or may not be remembered. I'm a scientist, but I strongly believe we are all here for a reason. And countless millions have lived and died, with no enduring memeory of their presence here. Not everyone is Shakespeare or Einstein. Remember it's not the big things you do but the little things that can make a difference.

One of the best things to do, although it does sound juvenile, is to take life at face value. Enjoy it for the present. I'm not saying 'forget about the past and the future', but just don't dwell on them so much that you forget to live.

Anyway, thanks for reading this dissertation!!! (Laconic letters are not my forte!)

www.badgerbadgerbadger.com ROCKS!
    [COLOR=MediumTurquoise](I'm spending my summer holidays very productively...NOT.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roseonthegrave)
    Speaking of death, has anyone read "Mort" by Terry Pratchett?
    Has anyone not read Mort? It is an exceedingly good read.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Nerd)
    Has anyone not read Mort? It is an exceedingly good read.
    It is one of my favourite books by him - very funny indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Lately I'm getting really scared. I get really uncomfortable when I think that one day I won't be here, I'll be buried somewhere, I won't know what's happening or anything. No more life, no more poeple I care about, no more interests, no more places to see...big dark empty void. And then I'm NEVER coming back, regardless of the technology and the new answers etc etc. I just won't be there to know it.

Am I going insane? I can't enjoy anything I'm so completely traumatised! Do any of you think like this? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe it's because after leaving school I feel like an adult and I have realised life is going by too quickly. I feel empty and horrid.
    Ahhhhhhh!

It would help if you managed to achieve timeless fame.

But no really, I do hate the idea that I won't be around in the long term future to find out what happens, it's weird to think "Hm, my grandad never knew about say 9/11 and all the change which ensued." or "My dad's mum never knew what happened after the millenium. For all she knew, maybe the world ended. For all she knows now there's a world war going on and we're all dead." Btw, how are you so sure that you're never going to be coming back, to be crude? Through science I mean? I want to find out how the world ends, you know? (Note to fate and irony, that doesn't mean I want the world to end in the next 80 years or so).

ReputationRep:
    its is depressing to think - u'll never ever exist again, although its kinda exciting. I mean you'll find out what actually happens after death, or not it may be the case. Whose right or whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    Lately I'm getting really scared. I get really uncomfortable when I think that one day I won't be here, I'll be buried somewhere, I won't know what's happening or anything. No more life, no more poeple I care about, no more interests, no more places to see...big dark empty void. And then I'm NEVER coming back, regardless of the technology and the new answers etc etc. I just won't be there to know it.

Am I going insane? I can't enjoy anything I'm so completely traumatised! Do any of you think like this? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe it's because after leaving school I feel like an adult and I have realised life is going by too quickly. I feel empty and horrid.

join a religion, it should be of a lot of help, try the major top 3, C.M.J

ReputationRep:
    Actually I'd be more scared if I didn't die. If you know something doesn't last, you enjoy it when you do have it a lot more. Everything needs to have an end to make it special.

ReputationRep:
    has anyone read The Lovely Bones? i want my heaven to be just like the one in that book- i know i'd be yearning after my family and friends on earth as well, i hate letting things i love go

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.