Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What makes you think anything will happen to you after you die? There is no brain activity, perhaps it's too hard for some people to accept they simply no longer think, after all, they're used to thinking. They probably forgot what it was like before they were born, when also they didn't think.

ReputationRep:
    I seem to be alone here, but it doesn't worry me in the slightest. I believe in complete oblivion after life - how can I be bothered about something I won't know anything about?? You're not aware of your death, you're quite simply dead - you have no cognitive capacities with which to worry about it! In fact, the idea of an afterlife terrifies me far more - I'd hate to be in a position where I was actually aware of my own death, aware that I could no longer communicate with my family and friends, etc.

Strange debut post that. Ah well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdGJ)
    I seem to be alone here, but it doesn't worry me in the slightest. I believe in complete oblivion after life - how can I be bothered about something I won't know anything about?? You're not aware of your death, you're quite simply dead - you have no cognitive capacities with which to worry about it! In fact, the idea of an afterlife terrifies me far more - I'd hate to be in a position where I was actually aware of my own death, aware that I could no longer communicate with my family and friends, etc.

Welcome to UKL EdGJ... (yeah it really is a strange debut post)
    Regarding this thread..I don't know what to say!..everyone has said what was there to be said..
    just remember, follow what there is abt death in your religion and that is bound to make you feel better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdGJ)

you've been reading lucretius haven't you.

ReputationRep:
    I would say 'yes' just to look pseudo-intellectual, but 'fraid not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdGJ)
    I'd hate to be in a position where I was actually aware of my own death.
    I reckon it'd be far worse than not being aware of anything. I think death itself less, the manner through which we die is what scares people more than anything else, and that too just because it's unpredictable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IHavePMS)
    I reckon it'd be far worse than not being aware of anything. I think death itself less, the manner through which we die is what scares people more than anything else, and that too just because it's unpredictable.
    Yep! Being in the position where you know you're going to die would be horrible simply because you're aware of it happening and that knowledge would be overwhelmingly devastating - the process of dying is far more frightening than the culmination of death itself, because that ends everything. Suffering, worry, everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdGJ)
    Yep! Being in the position where you know you're going to die would be horrible simply because you're aware of it happening and that knowledge would be overwhelmingly devastating - the process of dying is far more frightening than the culmination of death itself, because that ends everything. Suffering, worry, everything.
    Exactly. It's only human nature to not want to suffer or be caused physical/mental anxiety..painfree, easy way out is what we look for. Even those who are suicidal experience a state of being terrified of how it will all end, perhaps moreso if they come to believe there's a chance of them not being successful and thus suffering even more.

ReputationRep:
    'when somebody dies, a cloud turns into an angel and flies up to tell God to put another flower on a pillow.A bird gives the message back to the world and sings a silent prayer that makes the rain cry.People and animals disappear but they never really go away.The spirits up there put the sun to bed,wake up the grass,and spin the earth in dizzy circles.Sometimes u can c them dancin in a cloud during the daytime when they're supposed to be sleeping. They paint the rainbows and also the sunsets and make waves splash and tug at the tide.They toss shooting stars and listen to wishes.and when they sing wind songs,they whisper to us "dont miss me too much,the view is nice and im doing just fine" '

x o x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleMissSmile)
    'when somebody dies, a cloud turns into an angel and flies up to tell God to put another flower on a pillow.A bird gives the message back to the world and sings a silent prayer that makes the rain cry.People and animals disappear but they never really go away.The spirits up there put the sun to bed,wake up the grass,and spin the earth in dizzy circles.Sometimes u can c them dancin in a cloud during the daytime when they're supposed to be sleeping. They paint the rainbows and also the sunsets and make waves splash and tug at the tide.They toss shooting stars and listen to wishes.and when they sing wind songs,they whisper to us "dont miss me too much,the view is nice and im doing just fine" '

x o x
    blah blah blah..whatever gets you going

timaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TIMAAAAAAAAAAAY)
    blah blah blah..whatever gets you going

timaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaay

ur a very disrespective person.
    get some proper views and opinions on things and then the rest of us might listen to your comments

x o x

ReputationRep:
    surely that can't be it when you die though. your lifeforce can't cease to exist can it? such things such as being on the same wavelength as someone thinking the same things they do, and the connections twins have can't have a good scientific explanation- it's spiritual. what you feel always changes-science wasn't always right.
    i just hope that when i die, i can see the earth as a whole, in retrospect, and never properly have to leave those i love

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I didn't mean it like that. I meant, it only matters because of you - if you are not there to experience it, then it doesn't matter whether it's there or not. The only way you are aware of its existence is because YOU exist. So yes in a sense the universe is here because of me, for me that is. For you it is only there/only matters because of you.

Anyway, forget this people - it's amazing what daylight/sunshine can do to you! I'm almost laughing at what I wrote last night.
    I agree with both points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Lately I'm getting really scared. I get really uncomfortable when I think that one day I won't be here, I'll be buried somewhere, I won't know what's happening or anything. No more life, no more poeple I care about, no more interests, no more places to see...big dark empty void. And then I'm NEVER coming back, regardless of the technology and the new answers etc etc. I just won't be there to know it.

Am I going insane? I can't enjoy anything I'm so completely traumatised! Do any of you think like this? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Maybe it's because after leaving school I feel like an adult and I have realised life is going by too quickly. I feel empty and horrid.
    Well same here...but i think i am more freaky cause i sometimes think why is everyone suffering everyday and they still want to live? etc and is death end of everything or start of other things, damn i am confused I go into hours of deep thinking when question like these rises

ReputationRep:
    the thing that scares me the most about death is not the way or die but what will happen to family etc and will we ever meet again...therefore i cherish every second i live

ReputationRep:
    2 years ago i was having nightly panick attacks about this and i was crying for hours each night.....i hope never to be like that again

ReputationRep:
    Whatever you do, don't try to "live life to the max". If you do that, death will come much sooner.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Whatever you do, don't try to "live life to the max". If you do that, death will come much sooner.
    Which means I should live a long while, exceeding a century.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 26, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.