Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I spent £75 on a dress for my sports ball but my mum thinks it is not appropriiate for my brotheres wedding. http://cgi.ebay.com/BNWT-WAREHOUSE-L...ayphotohosting It is that but more of a gold tone. It looked ok, but my boobs are huge so I am restricted in what i can wear. Doe you agree with my mum that it is not right for a wedding? What if I wore a cardigan?

ReputationRep:
    I think its lovely, is there a particular reason your mum thinks its not suitable?

The only reason I can think is that she might think its too similar to a bridesmaids dress?? :confused: Its your brothers wedding though so you have every right to get dressed up

You can always wear a little shrug over the top anyway if you want.

Is it similar to the bridesmaid dresses?

ReputationRep:
    unless it similar to the bridesmaid dresses then i dont see why not most people get dressed up for weddings anyway

ReputationRep:
    My sisters are brides maids and my dress is not similar.
    Anyone seen any shrugs in shops. I think they will cover my arms and top part nicely and I will feel comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how much u wanna spend coast often have some nice ones in

Awww I think the dress is lovely - cant see any reason why your Mum thinks its not appropriate.

Why arent you a bridesmaid?:p:

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's because it's too nice a dress? People are meant to be looking at the bride after all..

ReputationRep:
    It is a bit small. I have huge boobs so a strappless thing is not normally the best thing. I got it dry cleaned and they washed it but it shrunk a little or I put on weight. Who knows!

She did say that about the bride as she is quite fat but no one will notice.

I am not bridesmaid as it is not my sister getting married and I have such a big family. Am bridesmaid for sister wedding.

ReputationRep:
    It's a lovely dress but I see what your mum means. Weddings, particularly summer weddings aren't usually uber glam occasions and that is definitely an evening dress. It's mainly the material that makes it unsuitable - it's not really the kind of material you wear in the day, and it's clearly a bit poofy, which is more of an evening look. Also, I think you're a bit risky as although it says lilac, it's clearly very pale and a pale dress in that style could end up overshadowing the bride. I'd go for something with a bit of a pattern or in a lighter, floatier material so you don't look overdressed.

Maybe something like this would be better? You don't have to spend a lot, you'll easily find something in Topshop or somewhere like that. Even a nice skirt and top would be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Its not lilac it is a light gold colour. I had a lot of trouble fining that dree due to my size (very small, 5'3) and shape (curvy etc).
    Will look in town tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    It's a lovely dress, but as it is I can see why your Mum thinks it's a bit unsuitable. It just has a sort of "wedding dress" look to it, so there's a chance that you might overshadow the bride.

When you're in town tomorrow, look for a smart, pretty outfit - like a summer dress, or something. If you have no success, then you may still be able to wear your gold dress as long as you wear a bolero or something with it.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else find the whole 'overshadowing the bride' thing pathetic? It's her big day so how can anyone overshadow it just by wearing a pretty dress? I think the dress is lovely but is perhaps too much of an evening/ prom look for a wedding. If you're short and curvy then a pretty wrap dress might suit your frame best, or if there's a Warehouse near you I saw a lovely bat wing dress (I promise it's not as awful as it sounds!) it's white but the style of it is a little more casual and would definitely suit your frame.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's a nice dress but maybe it is more of a bridesmaid dress. I don't see why you shouldn't be able to wear it, though.

You could try something more casual but if you like the dress and feel comfortable wearing it then go ahead.

I don't think you should ever worry about 'upstaging the bride'. She'll be far too busy getting married- and I don't think she'll care what anyone else is wearing... and to be honest other people won't either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becky_Sheffield)
    My sisters are brides maids and my dress is not similar.
    Anyone seen any shrugs in shops. I think they will cover my arms and top part nicely and I will feel comfortable.
    Miss Selfridge had some the other day, try Warehouse too

ReputationRep:
    I see where miss_world and Rennie are coming from about ignoring the "upstaging the bride" thing, but it seems that a lot of brides spend a lot of time, effort and money in finding the "perfect" dress, and as a result they can become very fussy about making sure that their dress is the centre of attention. It's daft to me, because I feel that they should be concentrating on the fact that they're getting married rather than a silly dress, but it's just not worth the risk of upsetting her (or other guests).

ReputationRep:
    I guess I can see that. I think I assume everyone thinks like me sometimes :p:

ReputationRep:
    I agree. I actually think that a lot of the time the bride won't care, or even notice (also, sometimes other people will always look better than the bride whatever they wear) but it is their special day and so it's best not to risk it.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be fine for a wedding if it wasn't so puffy on the bottom. It's a ncie dress, but is more suited to evening wear or proms.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.