Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, anybody know much about this course at Durham and how it would be viewed by employers? I received a 2:1 in an engineering degree from Newcastle and I want to get into finance. Durham rejected me for finance but encouraged me to apply for an MSc in Management (Finance) which I then got an offer for. I think going to Durham would be great, especially as its so close to Newcastle where I've had a fantastic 3 years and it has awesome night life and I have plenty of friends there who would be good to see every once in a while.

Durham comes 5th in the UK for management courses so it's definitely up there and I think it's in a different league to Newcastle (I'm not saying Newcastle is bad, just that Durham is known as the uni of Oxbridge rejects which has got to stand for something) and I think I'd really enjoy it there. The "city" looks amazing.

Having done an engineering degree, I know how it's viewed as a very strong degree and I'm not sure how Management (Finance)--(Do I have to write (Finance) every time haha)--would be viewed. I don't want to be one of those people who goes to a fantastic university but does a rubbish course. It does appeal to me though.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMarks)
    Hi, anybody know much about this course at Durham and how it would be viewed by employers? I received a 2:1 in an engineering degree from Newcastle and I want to get into finance. Durham rejected me for finance but encouraged me to apply for an MSc in Management (Finance) which I then got an offer for. I think going to Durham would be great, especially as its so close to Newcastle where I've had a fantastic 3 years and it has awesome night life and I have plenty of friends there who would be good to see every once in a while.

Durham comes 5th in the UK for management courses so it's definitely up there and I think it's in a different league to Newcastle (I'm not saying Newcastle is bad, just that Durham is known as the uni of Oxbridge rejects which has got to stand for something) and I think I'd really enjoy it there. The "city" looks amazing.

Having done an engineering degree, I know how it's viewed as a very strong degree and I'm not sure how Management (Finance)--(Do I have to write (Finance) every time haha)--would be viewed. I don't want to be one of those people who goes to a fantastic university but does a rubbish course. It does appeal to me though.

Thanks!
    Durham is a lovely uni and a great city would recommend

ReputationRep:
    Well I got the offer Seriously considering it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMarks)
    Well I got the offer Seriously considering it
    I would say take it. I have only been at Durham a year but am having such a good time. Feel free to PM me about anything

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.