Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically anything other than that which is followed by 99.9999999% of Western populations - get a job, try to earn money, live in a house, car, married, kids, retire, rot.

Maybe...
    > you're going to have some kind of easy on-your-own-terms job to get just enough cash to buy food - street performance/busking, maybe.

> you want to go and live in the mountains somewhere, hunting your own food and living off nature.

> being a beach bum would work?

> a ski-bum? Working just enough in some **** job to buy food and then spending all your time doing snow sports.

> a homeless vagrant wandering from town to town, dodgy cash-in-hand jobs if you can find them, and just about surviving.

or whatever else

The main problem is that in this kind of world now obtaining food without money is extremely difficult, and the most obvious way (stealing) would attract the attention of the police who will forcefully stop you doing it.
    Also, I think that anyone who doesn't choose to go with the standard plan of work-long-hours-and-pay-a-mortgage is regarded quite poorly by those who do, and they will not be tolerated. Perhaps its some kind of jealousy, perhaps they truly do love this way of life and hate people who break from it.. I don't know.

So its a vague question, anyway. Answers can be just as vague

--Joe

ReputationRep:
    The normal lifestyle is too money-orientated for me :mad: :mad: :mad:. It doesn't even begin to appeal. I'd rather help others and write poetry, then die fairly young.

ReputationRep:
    I plan to follow the normal lifestyle but take some years out before having kids to be a ski bum and beach bum.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think i could manage a lifestyle quite that alternative. You'd have to be quite independent and solitary, I'd just get lonely. I think most people need some kind of social life to be happy

Would love to be a writer, musician, artist, self-employed or something. Don't honestly see that happening mind

Im going travelling after uni for a few years (probably on my own) and I was thinking about doing one of them voluntary things in a jungle for 6 months

ReputationRep:
    I like my usual existence just fine, thanks :yy:.

ReputationRep:
    I sure as hell hope so. I hate American suburbia (which it seems too many people aspire to). I never want live in a big house and drive a mini-van and all that crap.

Ideally, I'd do freelance stuff and travel to where ever I wanted, but right now it seems I'll probably live in a small city apartment until I pay off my debt, and then I'll think about doing something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Segat1)
    I like my usual existence just fine, thanks :yy:.
    what does that invovle?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all! I want the whole thing; get married, have two-point-four children, a dog and a cat...the only thing slightly different to the utter stereotypicality of my dream is my piranha tank downstairs! (I'm having ****loads of fish coz I love 'em).

Haha, I'm so boring and I love it :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Like most people, I like to have a roof over my head and food to eat, so I'll be taking the "getting a job" route.

If anyone wants to hand me 5,000,000 pounds though, I'll gladly reconsider.

ReputationRep:
    Yea deffo, I hate the idea of a semi detached and 2.4 kids, its depressing.

These are the 3 things I would most like to do:
    Professional drummer
    Pro poker player
    Online Stock trader

Im also considering setting upsome sort of Soccer school in Hawaii or California. There's a big market for that.....but that would take a lotof cash to start up....I'll do that later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TopSortedMadForIt)
    Yea deffo, I hate the idea of a semi detached and 2.4 kids, its depressing.
    This is a serious question, so don't take this as me attacking you because I'm curious - what's so depressing about it?

It does bug me that a lot of students, both on TSR and off it, seem to have this immense problem with being "normal". You can't dress normally, you can't like normal music, you have to support some ridiculous political ideal that would never actually work in practice, you have to hold controversial opinions...what is so wrong with practicing the norm? What's wrong with wanting a partner and children who love you and a fulfilling job? I know I don't need some extreme and individual career to make me happy. Just my opinion, glad to hear others.

ReputationRep:
    I often idly dream of joining a lesbian-seperatist faerie hippy commune... but sadly I fear they are a myth...

Nah, rat race for me.
    Although if by alternative you include swingers or maybe three-way marriages or something, that all sounds fun. You know, in some kind of comfy suburban context. ;-)

ReputationRep:
    Ideally id like to live a pretty alternative lifestyle... at the moment Im running my own record label, trying to live as green as possible, vegan and strongly supporting fair trade.... eventually id like to grow alot of my own food, become carbon neutral and not purchase anything that is commercially produced... but right now the record label takes priority and i can see myself working at least one job to fund it for the the foreseeable future.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that there is anything wrong with the 'normal lifestyle'. Indeed, if it's overwhelmingly picked by the majority of people then it's good enough for me.

What's boring about getting a house, a family and a career? Taking my son to play football on a Sunday morning beats hands down the vagrant lifestyle many trendy middle class berks desire.

Quick example for you Hollyoaks fans. Neville's life or Noel's? I'd pick Neville any day.

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to be a piercer. Is that considered alternative? I'll probably make just enough to scrape by if I'm lucky. :P

ReputationRep:
    It involves boats and loghouses

I don't want kids and I don't want to be married. I'd like to get a pretty good job and live a quiet, relaxed lifestyle.

ReputationRep:
    No. I'd like to think I'm a bit more ambitious than a lot of people in terms of professional success, but the basic lifestyle sounds good. If I could do what my parents have done (succeed professionally, earn quite a lot, have lots of children and animals and live in a big house in the country) I would be happy.

ReputationRep:
    I'd quite like to live in a narrowboat rather than a house... some (older) friends of mine currently do, and it's a great way to live!

ReputationRep:
    Archaeologist - do the circuit for a few years, then look into settling down, but dead end jobs do seem quite unattractive

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.