Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am a Danish National who has lived in the UK for the past 3 years. Do I count as an EU student or a UK student?The definitions on the Edinburgh University website aren't clear. I meet all the requirements for both.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by AlmostNotable)
    I am a Danish National who has lived in the UK for the past 3 years. Do I count as an EU student or a UK student?The definitions on the Edinburgh University website aren't clear. I meet all the requirements for both.
    You count as an EU student.

The residency rules for eligibility for a maintenance loan were recently increased to 5 years in the UK prior to the start of your course.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...and-fee-status

and

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...ort#layer-3945

are the best places to look for information on fee status and student support

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You count as an EU student.

The residency rules for eligibility for a maintenance loan were recently increased to 5 years in the UK prior to the start of your course.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...and-fee-status

and

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information...ort#layer-3945

are the best places to look for information on fee status and student support
    If I have studied in the UK for 5 years I would not be an EU student anymore? Even if I am a Danish national?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    If I have studied in the UK for 5 years I would not be an EU student anymore? Even if I am a Danish national?
    Read the links to the UKCISA site - it explains the different categories of students.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you have lived in the UK for 5 years then you will be allowed to take out a tuition fee and a maintenance loan. If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years you can only take out a tuition fee loan. Doesn't Denmark give its citizens loans to study abroad, couldn't you use that system to fund your university studies at Edinburgh?

I think the ukcisa website is out of date, it still says EU nationals only need to live in the UK for three years. I would urge you to contact Edinburgh's finance office ASAP, they are best placed to advise you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    If you have lived in the UK for 5 years then you will be allowed to take out a tuition fee and a maintenance loan. If you have lived in the UK for less than 5 years you can only take out a tuition fee loan. Doesn't Denmark give its citizens loans to study abroad, couldn't you use that system to fund your university studies at Edinburgh?

I think the ukcisa website is out of date, it still says EU nationals only need to live in the UK for three years. I would urge you to contact Edinburgh's finance office ASAP, they are best placed to advise you.
    I am not worried about student finance. I am wondering if I am eligible for cheaper/free tuition in Scotland.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I am not worried about student finance. I am wondering if I am eligible for cheaper/free tuition in Scotland.
    Where in the UK do you live?

ReputationRep:
    Where in the UK do you live?
    England. EU citizens are eligible.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    England. EU citizens are eligible.
    Then you are not entitled to free tuition at Edinburgh. Only people resident in Scotland (and EU citizens who live outside the UK) get free tuition.

ReputationRep:
    Then you are not entitled to free tuition at Edinburgh. Only people resident in Scotland (and EU citizens who live outside the UK) get free tuition.
    I contacted the university and they said that I count as an EU student, eligible for the free tuition.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I contacted the university and they said that I count as an EU student, eligible for the free tuition.
    They're wrong. You live in England, your citizenship is irrelevant.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    I would agree with this. As an EU national living in the UK (not Scotland), you should be eligible for free tuition covered by SAAS. I don't believe you would be eligible for full support though as you are not living in Scotland (e.g. maintenance loans).

If you are in any doubt over this then you should contact SAAS directly, they are the ones who make the decision on whether or not you're eligible.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    I would agree with this. As an EU national living in the UK (not Scotland), you should be eligible for free tuition covered by SAAS. I don't believe you would be eligible for full support though as you are not living in Scotland (e.g. maintenance loans).

If you are in any doubt over this then you should contact SAAS directly, they are the ones who make the decision on whether or not you're eligible.
    I can't see any exception that applies to the OP. http://www.saas.gov.uk/_forms/residence.pdf

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.