Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm new on here so bare with me!
    I'm in a dilemma - basically I'm 25 and I only have AS levels due to some family issues when I was studying at college

I recently decided I want to study environmental science. After applying to university of Sheffield I was offered a place so long as I take a foundation year first.
    However I'm concerned that 4 years is going to bring me to 29 before I can get a job.

I also have the option of studying environmental science with the open university. However I'm just unsure about the way of study, but this would take me a year less to get my degree as I would study full time.

If anyone could give me some advise just to help me with my choice I'd be grateful!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Laurabob5)
    Hi I'm new on here so bare with me!
    I'm in a dilemma - basically I'm 25 and I only have AS levels due to some family issues when I was studying at college

I recently decided I want to study environmental science. After applying to university of Sheffield I was offered a place so long as I take a foundation year first.
    However I'm concerned that 4 years is going to bring me to 29 before I can get a job.

I also have the option of studying environmental science with the open university. However I'm just unsure about the way of study, but this would take me a year less to get my degree as I would study full time.

If anyone could give me some advise just to help me with my choice I'd be grateful!
    There's no difference between graduating at 28 and graduating at 29. Nobody will care. It won't prevent you from getting a job. A lot of people graduate in their late 20s/early 30s - it is not a big deal.

Even studying full time, it is very unlikely that you will finish an OU degree in three years. Because of the way their modules are structured, most people take at least four years to complete their degree even if they're not working. Also, the OU environmental science degree is very different to Sheffield's; have you looked at the modules? Do you like them?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 8, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.