Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am so worried about not finding a graduate job. The last 2 weeks i have been very passive and just laying around in bed, feeling upset and depressed.

I need to get over this as I know this isnt good for my health.

I dont know why I am so worried, I have plenty of experience working bar and retail jobs. So if the worst comes to worse, I can do one of these jobs until something better comes along. My dad worked alone in my family on minimum wage, we always had want we wanted, enough food and clothes. So why am i so worried about the future?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freedom)
    I am so worried about not finding a graduate job. The last 2 weeks i have been very passive and just laying around in bed, feeling upset and depressed.

I dont know why I am so worried, I have plenty of experience working bar and retail jobs. So if the worst comes to worse, I can do one of these jobs until something better comes along. My dad worked alone in my family on minimum wage, we always had want we wanted, enough food and clothes. So why am i so worried about the future?
    Use your current skills that you have. If you still can't find a grad job, then apply for the jobs that you feel like you have the experience for. Stay with that job until you find your perfect grad job. And also what did you graduate in? Perhaps you could do a bit of voluntary work? Or maybe do freelancing (if you graduated with an art/fashion degree)? Good luck with everything and please, don't be upset about this. There are thousands of grads who are in the same boat as you. Just don't give up on your dreams.

ReputationRep:
    Ha, no, that's a problem for future Vinnie to worry about!

Boy, I don't envy that guy.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster

Then help yourself to make it more likely to happen.
    Learn the skills and put in the research and prep time to maximise your chances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhisperingTide)

Maybe you should give future Vinnie a helping hand now...he'll thank you later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhisperingTide)

Simpsons reference?

ReputationRep:

You need to get yourself into a routine. Maybe get some voluntary work for a couple of days a week- its usually far more straight forward to get than a job and then you know you have to get up and go somewhere a couple of days a week. Then you know you need to set aside the rest of the time for job hunting.

ReputationRep:

I think it's normal in these times to feel anxiety and fear for the future. However all you can do is focus on yourself, write out what your goals and career aspirations are, google what sectors you can work in with your degree, or look up what you *want* to do, and what you need to get into that job.

Do volunteering, get some new hobbies, take up a sport, take evening classes to learn new skills, you have all this free time (I assume anyway!) to do what you want to improve yourself and your CV. Learn new things, meet new people. There's a whole world of opportunities out there.

It can be hard to get motivated and with the poor economic situation its easy to be disheartened, but youre in charge of your life so the only person responsible for your career is you. Good luck!
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Don't feel worried - just remember that thousands of students have recently graduated and are all in the same boat as you. You can take this opportunity to do something you've always wanted to do - have you thought about working/volunteering/traveling abroad? What about starting a hobby that could benefit towards a career path, like a blog. book club, etc?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.