Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm currently in my final GCSE year, and will be picking my A-Levels really soon.
    I want to do Pyscology at university but have no idea with A-Levels uni's like for it?

I am currently deciding between English Literature, Physcology, History, Chemistry, and Biology.

Are there specific A-Levels that uni's look for?

ReputationRep:
    Most psychology degrees require at least one or two out of biology, chemistry, physics, maths or psychology. Have a look at the entry requirements for the degrees you're interested in and see if there are any required/preferred subjects

(Original post by moon.png)
    Hi,
    I'm currently in my final GCSE year, and will be picking my A-Levels really soon.
    I want to do Pyscology at university but have no idea with A-Levels uni's like for it?

I am currently deciding between English Literature, Physcology, History, Chemistry, and Biology.

Most universities specify that you must have a science, but for the purposes of a psychology degree they count a phsychology A level as a science A level. Some also ask that you have maths, but most don't.

ReputationRep:
    I've taken Psychology, Sociology and English Literature and i'm hoping to apply this year for a psychology degree. Most uni's like either biology, chemistry, psychology, English lit. My advice would be to take psychology a-level if you are not too keen on sciences but if you want to widen your career prospects in future e.g. clinical psychologist then take sciences alongside psychology.

ReputationRep:
    How's your math? I hear psychology degrees are quite math based, unlike GCSE/A-level. I'd suggest doing math for a-level if you can, because not only would it give you a bit of an advantage, you'd struggle less when doing your degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moon.png)
    Hi,

Pick the things you will enjoy and do best at. In terms of usefullness for a psychology degree, the best a levels are in my opinion (in order): Statistics (schools rarely offer this unfortunately, although can be taken with a level maths), Psychology, Biology, Maths, a good essay writing subject (history/english lit), an additional science (physics/chem), then other subjects (e.g. sociology, media studies, foreign languages). Saying that though, as long as you've got the minimum specified a levels (which can be 1-2 science subjects and A*-C GCSE maths), you don't need the "best" a levels to succeed and get into unversity- it will just make things somewhat easier for you for some topics.

ReputationRep:
    Literally anything. Some unis prefer you to have a solid science A Level included, so maybe do Biology, Psychology then a 3rd one of your choice that you're good at.

ReputationRep:
    look at universities specific requirements (some require a science, biology or maths or a combination)

it's obviously useful to study psychology, it's not necessary but would give you a basic grounding in some theories and an idea whether you want to study the subject... any degree will start from the assumption of NO knowledge but it's still helpful the have

other useful subjects are english (or history would be fine as it's also essay based), maths and biology as you will need good essay skills and, depending on the course, will have to do biology modules and statistics modules (all courses will include these but for some it's a tiny part and being a bit weak at it won't affect you too much but it's nice not to struggle!)

think about what you will do well at as well, no point taking maths to look good then getting a C when you could have got a B in history

ReputationRep:
    The advice I got was that there's very little point doing the psychology a-level (unless doing it out of interest or to see if you like it) because the material is basically repeated in first year of uni. That is mostly the case. A lot of my materials for a-levels were highly relevant for degree..especially as you're largely using the same sources.

Stats is a large part of the degree. Maths would be an added bonus but really I think the grade might be more important than the subject

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.