Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am an international student and I'll be joining Oxford this Oct to study for MSc in computer science.
    My college St. Cross seems to have run out of accommodation and I have no idea what to do... I have applied to the university but am on some waiting list and does not look positive... does any one here know of alternatives at Oxford... I really wish I could stay in college accommodation but that's not possible now.

any information would greatly help me..

Vasanth

ReputationRep:
    You could rent a house? Where are you from? International Students are always geniuses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagician. Funny?)
    You could rent a house? Where are you from? International Students are always geniuses.
    apart from the sarcasm I'm from India and actually completed my under graduation in the UK and am currently working here..

guess I will have to start looking for house mates now...

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked to see if St Cross have asked around other colleges - quite a few have some empty accommodation that they rent out to people from other colleges.

ReputationRep:
    I'm told that Balliol have spare accomodation going. Also possible to rent a single room in a house rather than an entire house / flat.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, we do normally have some rooms going at Balliol. This year we had an entire staircase (of about 15 rooms) filled with outsiders on the main site, and the best part of a tower filled in Jowett Walk (about 15 rooms).
    You could try sending an email to either the Domestic Bursar or Accommodation manager. The addresses are at http://www.balliol.ox.ac.uk/official...cers/index.asp

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

Does the college supply bedding? If not, are the beds in college a regular single?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dnra4ever)
    Hi everyone,

Does the college supply bedding? If not, are the beds in college a regular single?
    That probably varies between colleges (and possibly even between different buildings belonging to the same college), so if you want to make sure, you'd best email your college's accommodations officer.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by dnra4ever)
    Hi everyone,

As Hobnob says, it's variable - at Wadham, you can pay and have bed linen for (I think) £30 a term, but you need your own duvet (although pillows (well, a pillow) are provided regardless); or, as I did, opt out and just bring your own bedlinen.

ReputationRep:
    At Lincoln we got duvets and pillows (though I always bring my own as it's much nicer!) but we have to provide our own bed linen.

ReputationRep:
    At Jesus it's blanket, duvet and pillow, with you supplying your own linen, but personally i'd rather not take the chance of sleeping in manky stuff for the first term and bring your own.

ReputationRep:
    i never got a duvet or pillows, tsk.
    St stephens house has loads of accomodation that it rents to random people. A friend of mine in a language school in oxford lives there.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.