Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I was just wondering how you all went about choosing a degree course and HOW you knew you wanted to do it!
    How do you know you have some form of interest??? How do you know your interests???

ReputationRep:
    For me, it was the subject i most enjoyed in sixth form and i had an epiffany moment and thought i wanted to study something (still kind of do) but i found that i couldn't as i hadnt taken the right choices for my a levels, so i am studying a similar course in hopes for being able to secure the job i want

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know what I wanted to do by the end of 6th year, so I took a year out, worked a bit, and moved out. I'd been learning Danish on and off for a couple years, and realised that if I wanted to be any good at it, I had to work for it. A trip to Copenhagen and more research into the language helped me realise how much I love it, and I really enjoyed researching grammar as well. I ended up applying for an Open Uni degree in languages, which I can't wait to start.
    There's got to be something you enjoy doing. Whatever it is, look into it and see if there's something that strikes a chord with you, and have a think about what you could do with it. If you still can't decide, why not take a year out to work and see if you develop an interest in something else?

ReputationRep:
    I know I do have interests but I just can't seem to pin point them and it is really scaring me!?!?!

ReputationRep:
    I had a lot of interests at the time also, I loved Psychology, English, Maths, IT, Animal Welfare etc. so it was pretty frustrating. Ultimately, it came down to job prospects, what would be the most translatable degree if I decided I didn't want to work in that field anymore but would be a very good degree to have on my CV regardless of job area.

So I went with Psychology, now I'm planning on doing a Masters in Animal Behaviour next year but currently work in the food manufacturing industry, weird how things play out.

In summary: You need to study what you enjoy but do something that isn't going to restrict your future prospects.

ReputationRep:
    Well I undertook geography, English language and art and design at A level but I am not sure I want to pursue these as a degree. I don't know what aspects to look at because I don't know my interests!!!

I was considering doing education studies as it gives me a range of options to do as a career ie.. lead on to postgraduates or further training in things like counselling, careers advise, uni admissions etc.. which I feel I would like because it is working with clients face to face

I just don't know?!?!?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shanwood1)
    Well I undertook geography, English language and art and design at A level but I am not sure I want to pursue these as a degree. I don't know what aspects to look at because I don't know my interests!!!

I was considering doing education studies as it gives me a range of options to do as a career ie.. lead on to postgraduates or further training in things like counselling, careers advise, uni admissions etc.. which I feel I would like because it is working with clients face to face

I just don't know?!?!?!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you find Education Studies interesting?

Sounds like some good Pros there, but what are the Cons? Why aren't you sure?

ReputationRep:
    That's what I mean how do you know it interests you?? Because you can't exactly study education at A level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Most courses have reading lists, check out the reading list, see what you think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.