Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place - but couldn't find anywhere specific for gap year stuff.

As a minor part of my gap year plans a friend and I are planning to go to Hong Kong to visit a missionary friend out there, but we want to do more than go to Hong Kong - has anyone any experience of this area? We want to perhaps got to China, Dubai and stuff but the flights will be really complicated because of returns, any advice or information people can give me about how to get about islands cheaply would be superbly fantastic!

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hohum)
    Sorry if this is in the wrong place - but couldn't find anywhere specific for gap year stuff.

As a minor part of my gap year plans a friend and I are planning to go to Hong Kong to visit a missionary friend out there, but we want to do more than go to Hong Kong - has anyone any experience of this area? We want to perhaps got to China, Dubai and stuff but the flights will be really complicated because of returns, any advice or information people can give me about how to get about islands cheaply would be superbly fantastic!

Cheers
    I don't know any specific info, but go to Dubai, it's great

ReputationRep:
    speak to a local tour operator- don't mention ur gaping and see what sort of tours they run, also speak to the chinese embassy in london- make sure you get ur visas done....

Go to beijing/peking wonderful place...
    your can do macau to hong kong by boat, ferry as with alot of the other islands...
    If youwere to get in touch with the international schools there you could actually go in and help out a bit!

Also go shopping in hong kong and singapore for electronic little gadgets!!

If you have any other ideas of places to go pm me and I'll try and help!

also have a nose thru the guide books in waterstones...
    You thought of charity projects in south america or africa? or orphanges in cambodia, etc- the scenary there is supposed to be amazing!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Shines_)
    speak to a local tour operator- don't mention ur gaping and see what sort of tours they run, also speak to the chinese embassy in london- make sure you get ur visas done....

Go to beijing/peking wonderful place...
    your can do macau to hong kong by boat, ferry as with alot of the other islands...
    If youwere to get in touch with the international schools there you could actually go in and help out a bit!

Also go shopping in hong kong and singapore for electronic little gadgets!!

If you have any other ideas of places to go pm me and I'll try and help!

also have a nose thru the guide books in waterstones...
    You thought of charity projects in south america or africa? or orphanges in cambodia, etc- the scenary there is supposed to be amazing!!

thanks for the help! I'm already doing a 6 month mission possibly in Romania or South Africa so I'm looking to go for more of a holiday/experience the culture. I would love to get a round the world ticket but the prices are just too high!!

thanks for the help though, have you been to that part of the world?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely look at the Lonely Planet website, you will get more advice and ideas on gap year travel there than you can read!

www.lonelyplanet.com

ReputationRep:
    Hong Kong is fantastic - you'll have a great time. Make sure you go to Tsim Sha Tsui..not only for the shops etc...the Hong Kong Space Museum is worth visiting.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.